CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

F2 Project from spring 2013

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F2 Project from spring 2013

HI Guy's I bought a cbr f2 600. done 52,000 miles makes the dreaded cam chain noise. i want to replace it. I have read through some threads about it and a certain ape manual tensioner looks the way to go. can anyone tell me if this is the route i should take???? i have given her a good service, oil, sparks & filter seems to quieten down alot of the the other knocking noises i had ... for her age and milage she still responsive and runs really well.
I have modified the back, replacing the rear foot pegs with ali ones that dont have the helmet lock bars on them and replaced the back indicators with flush fairing ones...looking quite good at the mo. (cant post pictures yet as still a NEWBIE!!!)
I live in the UK and would like to know if anyone could tell me where to shop for parts from the UK... i know the usuall ebay and couple others.
By next spring i want to complete a shim replacement and clutch and repair front breaks and repair the digs and cracks in fairings.
I'm going to keep the bike original but with just a few extras to make it look Mean!!! lol....
I will keep a diary of the project though out the winter and post up a thread about it. cant wait to finish it!!!!

Old 10-13-2012, 11:19 AM
July 2013 ROTM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

welcome.. and the ape cct is the way to go..as for parts like you said keep an eye on ebay...

Old 10-21-2012, 04:50 AM
Default Project Halt!!!!

This project is gonna COST!!! lol
So, i have started to work on the bike ready for spring, i have just crossed a snag!!!! The swing arm has a hole the size of a big persons Thumb . For those who know the MOT checks in britain, how the hell has this passed? Shurely its not road legal and should of failed. Grrrrr
Anyway on the brightside, i have managed to find a whole rear end for £30.00. that includes the shock, swing arm, rear caliper, hugger and bolts to go with it, BARGAIN!!!!!!!! (Good Condition too)

To BE CONTINUED!!!!

Attached Thumbnails F2 Project from spring 2013-imag0623.jpg  

Last edited by Benjy68; 10-21-2012 at 05:12 AM.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:19 PM

Hey mate seem a normal issue on uk f2 as mine was almost the same

As to spare part check out David Silver Spares - Parts For Honda Motorcycles - HOME

very good for new replacement parts and if you cant find it on there web site give them a call and should be able to help i've brought a few bits from them

Last edited by Douglas_1987; 10-21-2012 at 01:36 PM.
Old 10-21-2012, 12:28 PM

Cripes, that thing looks totaly corroded! Was the hole hidden underneath the plastic chain slider that sits on the swing arm? Certainly looks unsafe to ride and not MOT worthy.

Old 10-21-2012, 01:02 PM

Better to be safe than sorry, especially on a motorcycle. The forks and swing arms are crucial points. Replace that asap. You can find swing arms on ebay or craigslist. I've seen people part entire F2's on Craigslist for reasonable prices. You can also look on the for sale/wanted section on the forums. As for the manual cam tensioners, they are all practically the same. You can get the APE one, or one like this for $50 shipped. Manual Cam Chain Tensioner 91 94 Honda CBR600F2 Hurricane 92 93 CBR600 CBR 600 F | eBay

I have a Krieger cam tensioner. I believe he's here on the forums, but I forget his username. It's been holding up well for over 9k miles.

Old 10-22-2012, 01:28 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

He already replaced the swingarm... at least it sounds like it, anyway - Benjy, get some pics up... we likey pics, yes indeedy.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:01 PM

Hi Guy's sorry not replied.. (Work MAD)
I havent replaced the Swing arm yet.... i have an eye on a whole backend less the wheel. £30.00 so far and no bids and 24 hours left.... hopefully will win it... its in very good condition.

Optimus- there is no chain guard left... lol the chain has eaten it. this hole was under 20 odd years of Gunk by the look of the pile that fell out on the floor when i removed the swing arm. I'm guessing i have lost about 300000000000 kg so cornering should be easier lol

I have spoken to a few people and the name pointing out for CCT is this APE... will research more info before commiting though.

Subby- forks are on my shopping list, the ones on there are pitting badly now and the paint is falling off.

JNS- Pics to come i promise, i have some on my gallery of bike, but i will post as im working on it too.

Thanks for the info guy's....

Chow
Ben.

Old 10-22-2012, 02:05 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks pretty good!
Interesting can you got on there! Is it just me, or is that one big diameter mid-pipe?

Old 10-22-2012, 02:18 PM

its 3 inch output to the can. it makes it sound interesting too, specaily as it has no baffle!!!. as i now have 3 months of frecking cold weather ahead i have been thinking of doing the shims valves and rings. as its done 52,000miles just thought it would be good to do these things..(peace of mind)
JNS- i noticed you have done a stage 1 jet kit to yours. whats involved in that? will i have to upgrade anythhing else? i am thinking of doing it to mine. wouldnt mind beasting her up a bit to do some road legal drag racing!!!
I was in a drag racing team last year with a 1700hp toyota supra 3litre single turbo. did well last year. But the bikes!!!OMG i would love to race down the strip on mine. ... so any help in tuning will be greatfully recived

Quick Reply: F2 Project from spring 2013