CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

F2 Project from spring 2013

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2012, 02:42 PM
Welcome Crew and ROTY 2014
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Benjy68
...JNS- i noticed you have done a stage 1 jet kit to yours. whats involved in that? will i have to upgrade anythhing else?
It's less about upgrading for the jet kit, then doing the jetting based on your current upgrades - in other words, the stage one kit gives you base settings, new jet needles, and an assortment of jets, to be used accordingly with your current set up. There are recommended settings and mains for a "bone-stock" setup (OEM type filter and factory exhaust), and settings and jets for a "hi-flow" type filter and/or aftermarket exhaust... the bottom line is, that it WILL require some trial and error, and if you DO already have a "hi-flow" air filter (BMC, K&N, etc.), you might need to purchase additional sizes of mains, to tinker with until you get it right. Mains are cheap, so don't let that scare you - you'll need 4, of course, and they're only about $3 to $5 each.

If you are currently running a paper OEM-type filter, I would recommend sticking with that, as it will reduce your cost and make jetting with the Stage 1 kit simpler.

Oh, and... Factory Pro all the way... it's preference, and there are differing opinions, but I much prefer Factory Pro stuff to Dynojet.

Good luck!!

Old 10-23-2012, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I wouldn't think too hard about getting an APE tensioner. They are simple and reliable. Just a manualy adjusted bolt that has a lock nut to keep it at the right setting. I have one on my bike and never have issues. Just get one on your bike and move on to the bigger problems that you have.

Old 10-23-2012, 10:41 AM

I don't know what your level of mechanical skill is, Benjy, but one thing you do need to consider with the APE unit, is that is a MANUAL cam chain tensioner, you will have to get it into correct adjustment initially, and you will have to adjust it in the future, as things wear... Don't get me wrong, if you've got good mechanicin' chops, it's an easy job, and I'm not saying this thing requires constant tinkering, just that if you don't keep it in adjustment, you can destroy some valves!!

I've lucked out, as I'm running the original OEM hydraulic tensioner, and it's STILL doing it's job properly, but I will replace it with an APE unit, as soon as I have the slightest issue.

Old 10-24-2012, 04:29 AM

No more thinking about ape tensioner, I have just bought one. I have also just won a whole backend that I mentioned earlier in this thread. Bargain price of £30. This is worth more plus I have a few extra parts spare. Will have to wait a week for delivery though.... I have a wide range of mechanical skills but I'm learning more everytime I come on this site. Well, I will wait for parts to turn up and get fixing!!!!!!! Will update soon.

Old 10-25-2012, 12:28 AM

Well done on the bid. The body work on your bike looks like it is in good nic so it should be well worth it to get the rest of the bike back up to scratch.

My insurance just ended for the year so my bike is in the garage now and I'll be working on it for the next few months. For me it's half the fun of having a bike, being able to fiddle with it and get it working the way you want it. Look forward to seeing how your work goes.

Old 10-26-2012, 12:44 PM

Ok, so i stripped down more of the bike and found that the frame needs attention!!! i have uploaded some pics i ttok, please feel free to throw opinions!!! up for ideas on how to make this look good again!!!

Attached Thumbnails F2 Project from spring 2013-2012-10-25-20.45.52.jpg   F2 Project from spring 2013-2012-10-25-20.46.41.jpg   F2 Project from spring 2013-2012-10-25-20.46.51.jpg   F2 Project from spring 2013-2012-10-25-20.47.03.jpg   F2 Project from spring 2013-2012-10-25-20.47.36.jpg  

Old 10-26-2012, 12:47 PM

Ok, so i stripped down more of the bike and found that the frame needs attention!!! i have uploaded some pics i ttok, please feel free to throw opinions!!! up for ideas on how to make this look good again!!!
OHHH and the new bits arrived today, well quick delivery i may add, the stuff is in mint condition and will replace it all. still shocked, as it was a decent bargain!!

Old 10-26-2012, 03:07 PM

Definitely feeeeeeeelthy!!! What you want to do from here really depends on how much work you want to put into it, and what kind of money you want to spend... at this point, some guys (myself included) would go ahead and strip everything off the frame, have it blasted, and powder-coat it, others would just clean it the best they can, and put some kind of rust inhibitor on the places that have bare metal showing, and then just use touch-up paint over that. It's all up to you.

Old 10-26-2012, 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by JNSRacing
Definitely feeeeeeeelthy!!! What you want to do from here really depends on how much work you want to put into it, and what kind of money you want to spend... at this point, some guys (myself included) would go ahead and strip everything off the frame, have it blasted, and powder-coat it, others would just clean it the best they can, and put some kind of rust inhibitor on the places that have bare metal showing, and then just use touch-up paint over that. It's all up to you.
I have a blaster at work but it wont fit the bike in, i will enquire as i would like to make it look nice and see if i can get it done. this time end of january, i will hopefully have frame done and have engine ready to put back in. thinking of spraying the engine black. plastics will have to wait till summer.

Old 10-29-2012, 03:31 PM

Well, good luck! You've shown us the dirty pics, now you've gotta get this crap done, and show us the purrty pics!!

Quick Reply: F2 Project from spring 2013