CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

ebay signal lights blowing fuses.

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2010, 09:57 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ebay signal lights blowing fuses.

i bought l.e.d. front turn signals from ebay i the factory plug have a o, o/w, and green wires. i put the o/w and green wire together and connected them to the negative wire on the turn signal. the single orange wire i connected to the positive. same thing on the other side. i go to start my bike it blew the 15a fuse. it also blew a 20 and a 25. i put the 30a in everything worked my guages taillight and turn signal but my bike wouldnt start. suggestions please.

Old 06-03-2010, 10:38 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all - if a fuse blows you should ALWAYS try to locate the fault before inserting a new fuse.

Secondly - never EVER use a larger than rated fuse! By doing so you risk burning up the wires and electronics on your bike.

Disconnect the turn signals and try to start the bike without them.
If it still wont start then chances are you have destroyed something else.

---

Then on to your problem. From what I can tell of the schematics (left side turnlight):

Green - Negative
Orange/white - Constant positive
Orange - Flashing positive

Which means that by putting o/w and g wires together you've basically shorted the bikes
electrical system.

When you say it doesnt start - does the starter motor turn?

If your lucky you've just blow the starter relay fuse, so check that first (but disconnect the turn signals first!).
Chances are that you've fried the turn signal relay, so disconnect that as well and try again.

Last edited by Viking; 06-03-2010 at 02:32 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 12:23 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm looking at the wiring diagram - you do have a service manual, right? It's free here: http://downloads.hondatech.info/Moto...e%20Manual.pdf

The front turn signals are dual element bulbs - they are running/parking lights, plus turn indicators - that's why there are 3 wires. On the rear the stock directional lamps are only blinkers, so only a 2 wire hookup back there.

Your problem is that the Green wire is the ground, no other wire from the factory harness should be connected with it.

On the left side of the bike, Orange is your turn signal positive. Orange/white is the parking lamp positive. If you have only a 2 wire hookup for your LED lamps, then you'll need to connect green to negative, and orange to positive on the left side, on the right side, green is still negative and light blue is the turn signal positive. Since your LED's apparently aren't capable of 2-stage output, then you're going to lose the parking/running lamp function.

Last edited by adrenalnjunky; 06-03-2010 at 12:27 PM.
Old 06-03-2010, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by Viking
First of all - if a fuse blows you should ALWAYS try to locate the fault before inserting a new fuse.

Secondly - never EVER use a larger than rated fuse! By doing so you risk burning up the wires and electronics on your bike.

Disconnect the turn signals and try to start the bike without them.
If it still wont start then chances are you have destroyed something else.

---

Then on to your problem. From what I can tell of the schematics (left side turnlight):

Green - Negative
Orange/white - Constant positive
Orange - Flashing positive

Which means that by putting o/w and g wires together you've basically shorted the bikes
electrical system.

When you say it doesnt start - does the starter motor turn?

If your lucky you've just blow the starter relay fuse, so check that first (but disconnect the turn signals first!).
Chances are that you've fried the turn signal relay, so disconnect that as well and try again.
+1

Yeah bro if you have 3 wires.

Left Side --------------- Right Side
orange --------------- Light Blue
orange / white ----------- Light Blue / white
green --------------- green

and if you bought a 2 wires LED front lights

you must connect only Orange or Light Blue (check side) and Green wire, the orange /white (lightblue/white), won't connect but put a cover with black electric tape.

Check the flasher too, maybe is shorted.

Last edited by cristopech12; 06-04-2010 at 08:46 AM.
Old 06-05-2010, 12:50 AM

thanx for the help guys i dont know what i would do without my cbr brothers. i disconnected the striped wires and everything else checked oout but my battery is drained bad. thank god nuthin else was wrong i just finishe dmy bike last weekend