CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Bike won't start-I'm a rookie & need ideas! Help..

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2012, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike won't start-I'm a rookie & need ideas! Help..

Hi guys,

I'm sure some of you have seen and helped me on some issues I've been having.

Well here's what happened now....
It was slightly cold out. (55°)

I usually don't ride on days like this so I don't know much of what to think.

I started the bike fine with the choke on. I was a little rushed and only waited maybe like 30 sec or so. The RPM's on the bike rose I turned the choke off and in neutral I rode down my drive way.
Once I started trying to engage 1st it started bogging down and died.

I tried to restart it with choke on, off made sure it was in neutral, kill switch was set to the on position. Kick stand up and down.

But the bike still won't start.

Is this just coincidence and something else is wrong with the bike or did I break something on the bike or could it just have gotten flooded.

Any ideas or similar experiences would be appreciated.

Also the bike has always started fine, idles, and runs great.
Earlier this week I had my friend who's older and been riding since a kid try it out and he said it rode fine and the carbs and all seemed in good clean condition. (He has an 09 gsxr 1000 and has had sports bikes since the early 90's)

Now what I'm asking is what could it be or is this just a rookie mistake I made.

Thanks guys!

I almost feel like I should be paying to be able to post sometimes!!!

Old 07-01-2012, 12:41 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

Is your fuel turned on? Got gas in the tank?

Old 07-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

have you turned your fuel petcock on? Arrow pointing down - or up (reserve setting) if you're low on fuel?

I did that one day - cranked up, let it run in the driveway while I was putting on helmet and gloves. rode off to the end of the street and onto the highway before the bike bogged, lost power gradually and then quit. Checked gas in that tank - saw gas sloshing around. Took me a couple of minutes of trying to crank it up before I realized I hadn't turned my fuel valve on.

Cranked up and ran fine afterward - until lunch when the bike died on me again. I knew I had seen gas in the tank that morning, so I didn't think about that being the issue this time. I pushed to a nearby gas station and tried cranking again for a few minutes - checked my petcock was still in the run position. then it hit me thatit was possible I was low on gas. Flipped to reserve, fired right up.

so yeah - I ran out of gas twice in the same day, about 10 miles apart from each event.

can happen to the best of us.

Old 07-01-2012, 02:43 PM

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
have you turned your fuel petcock on? Arrow pointing down - or up (reserve setting) if you're low on fuel?

I did that one day - cranked up, let it run in the driveway while I was putting on helmet and gloves. rode off to the end of the street and onto the highway before the bike bogged, lost power gradually and then quit. Checked gas in that tank - saw gas sloshing around. Took me a couple of minutes of trying to crank it up before I realized I hadn't turned my fuel valve on.

Cranked up and ran fine afterward - until lunch when the bike died on me again. I knew I had seen gas in the tank that morning, so I didn't think about that being the issue this time. I pushed to a nearby gas station and tried cranking again for a few minutes - checked my petcock was still in the run position. then it hit me thatit was possible I was low on gas. Flipped to reserve, fired right up.

so yeah - I ran out of gas twice in the same day, about 10 miles apart from each event.

can happen to the best of us.

Ok I will look into this.
I am sort of low on fuel but I can still see fuel in the tank. I've riden about 140miles on this tank. I have usually gotten about 160-170miles per tank but might have been riding it a little harder lately.

I think I might go grab some gas at the gas station and try this out.

Thanks for the story.

This is my first year riding a street bike and it has been very interesting.

Just can't wait to get these newb mistakes out of the way.

Riding around I've been fine, just small mistakes like this that always happen in maintenance or pushing it around the garage.

Last edited by mcastro253; 07-01-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 07-01-2012, 06:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

140 miles on a F2 tank is nearly empty - switch over to reserve. There's fuel in the tank, but you're below the normal pickup, I bet.

think of it this way - our tanks are about 3.8 gal, slap full - if you've gone 140 miles, that's about 37mpg, and you're pretty much empty.

Old 07-02-2012, 12:18 AM

When and got some gas at the gas station. Also cleaned the filter in the tank. And now it runs great. Thanks for all the advice guys! :-)

Old 07-02-2012, 12:27 AM
Super Moderator
Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

We all make mistakes and most times we learn by them.

Bravo to you for posting your problem - and double bravo to the forum members who replied in the kind manner that they did.

When I was younger we would've had the pi## taken out of us - or is that just an Aussie thing?

Cheers, SB

Old 07-02-2012, 12:42 AM
Wink

Originally Posted by Sebastionbear
We all make mistakes and most times we learn by them.

Bravo to you for posting your problem - and double bravo to the forum members who replied in the kind manner that they did.

When I was younger we would've had the pi## taken out of us - or is that just an Aussie thing?

Cheers, SB

Yes and thank everyone on here you guys are great its all very much appreciated.