F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Bike will only start under throttle...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 09:32 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike will only start under throttle...any ideas?

I'm having issues with my bike starting. If I put it in neutral and hit the start button the bike will not catch. It just keeps trying to start but if I am hitting the start button and rev the throtttle up it will catch. Then in order for it to stay on I have to rev it up a few times and then it will stay on and run like normal.

Any ideas on what could be causing this?

Thanks.

Old 03-30-2009, 09:44 AM

fuel pressure regulator or possibly could be your plugs and coil

Last edited by AutoLuxury; 03-30-2009 at 09:47 AM.
Old 03-30-2009, 09:48 AM

I just had the spark plugs and fuel pressure regulator replaced. Coil will have to be checked. Any other ideas?

Thanks!

Old 03-30-2009, 09:54 AM

generally, fuel system problems show up at higher RPMs and the ignition problems at low... here's a list of basic things to check.

does the fuel pump prime?
are you using fresh fuel that hasn't sat oxidizing all winter long?
is your battery still in decent condition. it takes ~11.7 volts to spark?

Old 03-30-2009, 10:22 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Throttle bodies out of sync.

Old 03-30-2009, 10:52 AM

I had some power issues previously so I took the bike all apart. I found rust in the fuel tank and the fuel pump. I took the tank off and drained it and cleaned it real well getting rid of the rust and put fresh fuel in. I also ordered a new used fuel pump in good condition. While it was off I changed the spark plugs and air filter. Now that I think about it though, is the fuel pressure regulator attached to the fuel pump because if so I had that replaced but threw the old setup away.

The fuel pump is not priming currently. I had the battery load tested and it is good.

Old 03-30-2009, 12:30 PM
Retired Moderator & The Big Deal

Originally Posted by JeremyGSU
I had some power issues previously so I took the bike all apart. I found rust in the fuel tank and the fuel pump. I took the tank off and drained it and cleaned it real well getting rid of the rust and put fresh fuel in. I also ordered a new used fuel pump in good condition. While it was off I changed the spark plugs and air filter. Now that I think about it though, is the fuel pressure regulator attached to the fuel pump because if so I had that replaced but threw the old setup away.

The fuel pump is not priming currently. I had the battery load tested and it is good.
Sounds like you found the problem hope that fixes it. That's what I thought it was too.

Old 03-30-2009, 01:14 PM

Originally Posted by RojerLockless
Sounds like you found the problem hope that fixes it. That's what I thought it was too.
No, I'm sorry I meant that is the stuff I have recently done but the bike is still having the strange starting issue. I have it in a shop now but I was just trying to give them ideas as to what to look for on repairing it.

Old 03-30-2009, 07:44 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

valves need to be checked. if they are getting tight the bike will start doing that. Also if you got any junk like rust stuck in them they wouldnt seal completely and also cause that.

Old 03-31-2009, 01:43 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No the FPR is not attached to the pump, it is attached to the fuel rail on the throttle body. And since its at the shop, let them worry about whats wrong, thats what you're paying them for. You dont go to the doctor and tell him "hey I got pancreatitis, fix it" you ask him "what the hell is wrong with me". But if the pump ain't priming it could be as simple as a sensor not hooked up (BAS or the K/S switch) or a bad fuel pump relay, but its outta your hands now. Take some vasoline with ya when you go pick it up.

Quick Reply: Bike will only start under throttle...any ideas?