CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Coolant capacity & which coolant to use HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2012, 03:23 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Coolant capacity & which coolant to use HELP!!

I'm having an issue were if I am at a stop light the Temp gauge goes up to 3/4 maybe 80% up.

The temp outside was only 65-70 degrees

I just bought the bike and have been working a lot on the bike just haven't gotten to the coolant.

So my questions any suggestions on good coolant. Also what is the capacity or amount of Water and Coolant I should use.

Also any comments on my running hot issue?

Also I noticed that there was a few drops leaking from the radiator cap. (Looked very green by the way doesn't seem like its mixed with water )

FYI - It is fine when the bike is running
and the fan is running.
also I know that I should use distilled water.

Thank in advanced!!!!
You guys are a huge help!!

Old 06-16-2012, 03:25 AM
Default By the way

BTW this doesn't happen instantly when I pull up to the light.
I forgot to mention.
This happens after about 4-6 min of just idling.

Thanks again guys!

Old 06-18-2012, 12:53 AM

I use Engine Ice in my bike. So far no problems. There is supposed to be 2.7L of coolant in the system.

The bike is always going to heat up sitting at idle but if you think it is getting too hot then there's a few thing's I'd check.

What condition is your radiator in? Are the fins straight and letting good air flow through the radiator? You might just need to flush the radiator to get better flow of coolant through there.

You say the fan is running. Does that mean all the time or does it come on when it starts to get hot?

When the coolant heats up it expands and flows down a tube near the radiator cap and into the coolant overflow bottle next to the rear shock. Make sure that tube isn't pinched or blocked and check the level of coolant in the overflow when the engine is cool. It should be between the hi and lo lines. You can also look at the oveflow bottle and see if there is sediment or gunk in there to get an idea of the condition of your coolant.

Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 AM

Thanks for your reply Optimus_Prime.

I just flushed out the coolant and cleaned out the reservoir as well so I know the coolant is in good shape.

The raidiator is in good condition with no noticable dmage or bent fins or leaks.

Now one thing you suggested and I am going to try is to make sure the overflow or the relief hose that goes to the reservoir is clear.

I also have the new bolt and washer coming in the next day or two so it will be a couple days before I test this out.

Thanks for the advice I will look onto what you advised and post results.

Thanks Again!!

Old 06-18-2012, 10:41 AM

Also to anwser one of your other questions you had.

The fan works and it turns on once the bike warms up and starts idling for a few min.

Thank..

Last edited by mcastro253; 06-18-2012 at 11:13 AM.
Old 06-20-2012, 12:31 AM
Registered Users

I too have this idling hot issue. The fan turns on. The needle reaches near 85% to red. I was splitting traffic and the needle didnt go any higher...luckily. what's the normal needle placment for idle?

Old 06-20-2012, 11:08 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man - I'm curious to see how long it takes for the fan to kick on on my bike. My gauge usually never moves past the 65% level, except on super-humid 95-100 degree days after being driven for a while. Then at a red light it might move to about 75-80% but not into the red. The fan kicks on normally once it gets to about the 75% mark.

Are you guys saying that from a cold startup, sitting there doing nothing but idling, your fans kick on after just a few minutes? I'm using water wetter in mine, and it seems to be working well for me. I haven't flushed since last spring.

Old 06-20-2012, 12:24 PM

I'm not sure what it's suppose to be or if there is something wrong with my bike.
But my bike does get up to about 75% when sitting in traffic for a while.

Trying to run Engine Ice but ran into this leaking issue.....

Old 06-26-2012, 04:43 PM

I believe that's normal man. When I first got my bike I thought it had a problem also. Really hot days + sitting in traffic for a long time are both recipes for a hot bike. The fan should save you. As long as your not blasting into the red you have nothing to worry about.

Old 07-02-2012, 05:13 PM
Registered Users

Originally Posted by adrenalnjunky
Man - I'm curious to see how long it takes for the fan to kick on on my bike. My gauge usually never moves past the 65% level, except on super-humid 95-100 degree days after being driven for a while. Then at a red light it might move to about 75-80% but not into the red. The fan kicks on normally once it gets to about the 75% mark.

Are you guys saying that from a cold startup, sitting there doing nothing but idling, your fans kick on after just a few minutes? I'm using water wetter in mine, and it seems to be working well for me. I haven't flushed since last spring.

Definitely NOT right after being warmed up. Normal riding then stop and go traffic on a hot day after maybe 30 minutes to an hour, the needle will creep up to near 85% of the dial. Fan does kick in though.