General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

My bike wont start...any ideas?

Search this Thread

Old 02-28-2011, 01:50 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My bike wont start...any ideas?

I have a 07 cbr600. I just put a Yoshimura pipe on it and started it up, it ran for a few minutes and then died. It now wont start. It turns over but just wont start, I put more gas in it and still wont start (it might have been low). Also the oil light is on, I didnt notice it being on earlier. The oil was recently changed and the level is good on it. I know the fuel that was in it was from last summer. Thanks for any help you may give me.

Old 02-28-2011, 06:32 PM

Alright, lets eliminate all the simple stuff first.

1. Check ALL the fuses
2. Make sure all requirements have been met to start the bike i.e. kick stand, clutch, nuetral, kill switch all that good stuff
3. Make sure battery has full charge. if you have a volt meter check it that way, if not just throw it on a charger until charger says its good.
DID IT START?? If not read on
4. Is your bike throwing any code? Not familiar with your particular year model but there is a way to read any trouble codes your bike may have stored. find out how to get them and what they mean.
5. If you got a code then let me know what its telling you. If not then you're going to have to figure out what exactly you are lacking on your own i.e. SPARK, FUEL, COMPRESSION (Don't worry its not going to be that) or AIR (Not going to be this either.)

Let me know where you're at with it and I'll try to help.

Old 02-28-2011, 07:08 PM

was the fuel just left in the tank or was is stored properly, if the bike was not started since last summer, there could be rust in the tank or the fuel could have just crapped out. i would drain the fuel out first and replace with some new fuel with a little octane booster in it. also check your spark plugs to see if they are coated with oil or fuel

Old 02-28-2011, 09:04 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cruhl01
IAlso the oil light is on, I didnt notice it being on earlier.
The oil light is on because the oil pressure is low due to the engine not running. It does it all the time the key is on if the engine isn't running. You probably just never noticed it before.

Old 03-01-2011, 12:50 PM

Ok, today I checked all the fuses and they were all good. I drained out all the gas and added fresh with a little octane booster. I charged the battery last night and it is fully charged. It turns over real fast like its ready but just wont start. This wouldnt have anything to do with my slipon yoshi pipe I just put on would it. I guess I need to look at the plugs. Any thoughts or ideas?

Old 03-01-2011, 01:35 PM

You never told us if your bike threw any codes. That's the next thing you want to do. Once you get the malfunction code then you go from there. If there is no malfunction code displaying then you have to first determine if your bike if getting fuel. You are going to have to remove the tank, remove the air box, and then look down each intake tube with a flashlight as you crank the bike. You will see fine mist pulses of fuel. If not then you know you have a fuel problem. If you see the pulse of fuel (it may be hard to see make sure) then you move on to spark. Pull one of the plugs and plug it back into the plug wire. hold the bottom of the plug (plug should be plugged into plugwire/coil) grounded against the engine. Crank the bike and look for the spark as you are cranking. If there is no spark you need to pull ANOTHER plug and check it to see if it was just that one plug or all plugs.

Alright reply back and let me know where you are at so far.

Old 03-05-2011, 01:34 PM

I took the plugs out and cleaned them up and put them back in and it fired right up. Would me putting a pipe on my bike have anything to do with fouling the plugs? I just bought the bike in February and I dont know how long it was sitting, its an 07 and it only has 2800 miles on it. Do I need to reprogram it or anything? Thanks

Old 03-05-2011, 03:16 PM

the pipe should have nothing to do with the bike not starting. However, if the bike sat for awhile and the battery was weak, the engine won't turn over fast enough to start, and can result in the plugs fouling. The battery on these bikes needs to be fully charged and able to provide a fast crank or the plugs can foul.

If they were fouled, and you cleaned them and now the bike runs. I would go buy a new set of plugs. Once these plugs with the really small electrode foul, they can corrode internally and never really be the same. You may run into issues with it fouling again down the road. Make sure you run the proper plug too. I would suggest using ngk's. Other brands of plugs don't seem to run as well in these bikes. Just go with the oem plug and you'll be fine.

As for programming. If its only a slip on, you shouldn't have to tune it. They don't make enough of a difference in backpresure to matter. A full system will require a tune.

Keep the battery fully charged. change the plugs, and enjoy the bike.

Old 03-06-2011, 10:17 AM

Thanks alot, that sounds like some good advice.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:13 PM
2011 Ride of the Year

im glad you got your ride ready to ride. and it wasnt to costly. new plugs will run you about $30.
i did the same with mine and kept the fouled plugs as spares just in case in time of need.