CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

Awww crap.. need some help!! - Shifter fell off.

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2007, 06:29 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Awww crap.. need some help!! - Shifter fell off.

Well, the subject says most of it. I was riding to my girlfriend's place on the other side of the state and I went to downshift.. lo and behold my shifter is GONE. Luckily it was just dragging near the ground still attached to the rod, but somehow whatever was holding it in is long gone somewhere on I90. Never noticed because I spent 90% of my time in 5th gear.

Now I need to get home and I know Im gonna hit quite a bit of traffic

Anyone know what goes in there and what I can use to fix it?? I was thinking I can try to find a bolt of something that fits into the screwhole as a temporary solution but that is really a desparate measure. I can try and get it home in 5th but it will kill my clutch and I know it.

Would a honda dealer carry this part? Is it universal to all models? Any input here is greatly appreciated I dont relish the idea of missing work tomorrow because of a stupid missing bolt.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:16 PM
Default RE: Awww crap.. need some help!! - Shifter fell off.

I was looking through the service manual and I cant find anything specifically on bolts for the shifter pedal, but looking at other parts of the bike for similar bolts that would do the trick I saw a "pivot" bolt, which looks like something that I might be able to pick up at a local hardware store. Gonna have to check that out.

Old 10-14-2007, 07:29 PM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's just a bolt, any old bolt will do, granted that it's the correct threading and length. All it does is pinch the head onto the spined shaft so it doesn't fall off.

I'm not quite sure how your shifter was hanging though, there are teeth on the inside of the head that match up with the teeth on the shaft, if anything it would wiggle free and fall off completely... weird!

But yeah, hardware store -find a bolt that fits the threading and is not too long so that it can seat properly to lock in place.

Old 10-15-2007, 11:30 AM

be SURE to use a washed on the outside, inside, and between ANY AND ALL contact points...and use two nuts to lock the thread....otherwise, you will be in the same position on the way home, the bolt will losten itself and fall off if it isnt allowed to move freely.....some wd40 or grease on the washers will help out with this as well.

Old 10-15-2007, 12:35 PM

Which part fell off? Was it the end of the linkage that fits onto the splined end of the shift shaft, or was it the end of the linkage that holds the shifter lever onto the rearset?

It sounds to me it is the part that your foot contacts. That is probably just a bolt with a bushing the size of the inside diameter of the shifter pedal hole. Nothing too major temporarily but you will want to get the right parts on there for long term.

I actually think I have one in my garage. Post a pic up so we can see what you need.

Old 10-15-2007, 01:41 PM

You are right about the foot peg, thats what came off. All of the linkage is still together and functional, the foot pedal is what came off because that bolt that holds it on fell out.

I went to the dealer and he looked up what it was.. apparently it's a 14 $ bolt when ordered from honda, and he said it would take 3-4 days to get in. So in the meantime, I went to lowes and found a 1/4 bolt that slid through and I secured with a nut on the other end. Its a very, very, temporary solution but it allows me to shift now.

notny41 if you do have a spare bolt lying around I would be happy to throw some cash your way for the bolt and shipping, I dont know how long this makeshift bolt is going to work.