CBR 600F2 1991 - 1994 CBR 600F2

94 cbr f2 ignition problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2017, 11:56 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been looking but I dont know anyone with the same bike locally, if I have to I can get a used one off eBay pulled from a running bike but I really really hate throwing parts at a problem without any tests to confirm the parts bad but like you said there's no tests for the icm itself. So that might just have to be done if nothing else it would confirm the icm is not the problem

Which still brings me back to the ignition primary coil test from page 16-6 I have confirmed that I failed that test, so if I start there what can I do to solve that problem? even if the icm is bad the wiring for it should be in spec if I'm to expect the new one to work. The tests were done with the icm disconnected.

I'll go try to clean the grounds again, all the other connections are solid. I guess if that doesn't solve it I can either rewire with thicker gauge wire and weather pack connectors or get a new icm and see if that does it

Old 07-09-2017, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The dimming thing when you try to start is a worry, can you pull any fuses out that you don't need to start the bike and see if that helps ,I'm thinking fuse A and C to see if there's more power for the start, worth trying anything

Old 07-09-2017, 12:45 PM

Yeah I'll go out and check the fuses again after lunch but the weird part is that it either goes or it doesn't, it feels like the main relay might be switching? The starter button checks out with a continuity test so all that's left in the starting circuit (other than saftery switches which were tested) is the main relay, starter and wiring right?

And I've done the pull fuses and accessories to see if it helps and nothing really does, the battery is fully charged so when it goes it goes it's not sluggish but it's like something isn't fully switching but still allowing a drain to occur

Old 07-09-2017, 01:04 PM
Super Moderator

Have a look on You Tube there are video's about "Parasitic drain" might point in the right direction

Old 07-09-2017, 03:17 PM

I'll look more into that later tonight when I'm in front of the tv, I just checked the fuses everything is fine. so as far as the ignition system is concerned everything has been gone through and I am left with one failed wire test and a part that I can't test haha

I think I have a plan though, First Caltraic has brand new replacement icm for $55 shipped and here's the male connector for the harness with the pins plugs and retainer for only $13!

Honda Motorcycle 16 pin ICM-CDI-ECU-ECM Connectors

If I can't find anything else wrong or tests that fail I think I'm going to go ahead and rewire with weather pack connectors and the connector from cycle terminal, I think I might just rewire the whole bike but I might just rewire the ignition to save time since everything else does work, but I'll be using 18 gauge wire that should lower down the resistance between the icm and the coils and the weather pack connectors will gaurentee a strong connection. If at that point I still don't get spark then I will get a new icm I'm pretty confident that between those two steps I will be able to get spark everything else has been tested and is working

I'll have to wait for shipping but I'll post up if I get spark after I get the new connector and rewire the ignition with 18 gauge hopefully everything will arrive quickly

Old 07-09-2017, 06:57 PM

Quick update: I ordered both the plug and new icm so hopefully they will arrive this week or early next and I can go head and put the new 18 ga wire in and get it started asap, I have a freshly cleaned and rejected set of carbs I'm excited to sync and balance

Old 07-10-2017, 12:02 AM
Super Moderator

Hope all goes well, waiting for updates

Old 07-21-2017, 01:37 PM

Ok some progress but no fix

I rewired everything that deals with the ignition side of the icm with 18ga and when I rerun the tests from page 16-6 I get 3.1 ohms for the ignition primary coil so that's back to where it should be and I have new connectors with a new icm so I know none of that is the problem.

Still no spark though...

When I tried to start it up the tachometer was bouncing around??? Something must have gotten switched around when repinning even though I did one wire at a time but I guess mistakes can and do happen so I'm double checking the whole harness (pain in the butt, the bikes has been stolen and rewired a 100 times)

One problem I'm having is I have a stock right handle controls never been mucked with, it Has a black/yellow wire from the right handle but the manual doesn't show any black yellow wires?

Maybe I repinned the icm wrong? I can't see how I would have I did it very slowly one wire at a time but who knows I'm at the point of checking everything again something was messed up somewhere

On a side note I'm thinking the tach was responding to the pulse signals so I guess it is a good sign that something happened and it seems like I'm getting a signal but who knows one step at a time

Last edited by tampa_git; 07-21-2017 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-21-2017, 02:01 PM

Any chance you can take a picture of your icm plug? I need to see where the wires go. I took my time I was very careful but maybe i messed up while wiring the icm

The tach gets it signal strait from the icm so if it's jumping around while I'm trying to start the bike maybe I wired it wrong better safe than sorry

Old 07-21-2017, 03:15 PM
Super Moderator

Hi matey , sorry but I don't have a 94cbr600 , maybe if you start a new thread for a picture that might help, but another loom is cheap enough

Quick Reply: 94 cbr f2 ignition problem