CBR 600F 1987 - 1990 CBR 600F Forum

Charging System Problem Again!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Charging System Problem Again!!!!

Ok so some of you that were reading the carb cleaning forum know that my bikes has a electrical problem.

Heres what I got new r/r and new battery. Heres what im getting with volt meter.
So is it my r/r again, or stator. The connections are all clean and fresh looking no loose pieces, or corrosion or anything on them. I did the test, but both stator and r/r come back normal, same as before i replaced the r/r. But when i replaced it, it would idle at 13.4 volts

Battery new sitting 12.75
Start-up: jumps to 13.6
Idling @1500 12.5
Throttle @5000 12.9

After i ran it a couple times
Battery sitting 12.24
Start up jumps to 13.6
Idling 12.25
Throttle @5k 12.4

Old 05-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Default RE: Charging System Problem Again!!!!

pull the stator cover. when i bought the bike i had to fix a leak and had to pull the cover come to find out the stator was never bolted down from the crow who owned it before me well you get the point

Old 05-03-2008, 05:08 PM

Well i was playing with it some more today and i must has a wire not grounded right or a hot wire grounded cause its sitting there it is now loosing power from the battery. What are the most common places that wires will ground.

Or is there a actual picture set up of wiring through out the bike, not the wire diagraham but one that shows the bike and where all the wires go?

Old 05-06-2008, 06:57 PM

your battery is overcharged and your regulator is bad. stator may be bad too. here is how you can tell if all that is bad step by step:

1. First things first get a multimeter and not just a voltmeter. you have to be able to check the ohms and level of the diodes in your regulator and a voltmeter wont do all that. And you will need the wire diagram for these type of repairs.
2. put the multi meter on the diode selection and test the rectifier as follows:
A. disconnenct r/r from harness
B. put red lead on meter on the ground wire(honda's ground is green not black)
then put the black lead on all three of the wires in the plug that have the same color one at a time(these are your stator conecctions). your readings should be between .5-2.5volts.
C. then put black lead on yourbattery control wire(power wire, again this is why you need the wire diagram to know what color your power wire is for your bike) and put the red lead on each of your stator wire connections. Again your numbers should be between .5-2.5volts
D.do the same test but this time reverse your red and black leads.(black on ground red to stator connects, etc.) these readings should come up OL on the meter wich means infinity.

If any of this does not match then you have a bad r/r.

to test the stator:
put the multi meter in the ohms setting and put red lead on any wire lead and put black on the other two one at a time. to make this easier label each connection AC1,AC2,AC3. test connection from AC1-AC2, then AC1-AC3, then test AC2-AC3. if any of these come back with a rating of less than .2ohms or more than 2.5 ohms then you stator is bad. also may be bad if you test from any of the AC'S with red lead and put the black lead on a frame ground and get anything other than infinite(OL) THEN THE STATOR IS BAD.

i KNOW IT SEEMS LIKE A LOT BUT ITIS WHAT YOU HAVE TO DO TO GET ACURATE READINGS ON THESE CHARGINGS SYSTEMS.