General Tech Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

charging system problem need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2007, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default charging system problem need help!

Alright here is the problem. I was riding to bike week in Daytona last year sitting at a light at 92 and Ridgeway when they light turned green. I gave it some gas to get and it went dead. I had noticed that the reflection of the headlight in the car in front of me looked dim and when I gave it gas it would brighten up. When I came back with my truck to pick it up it would not start on it's own power. However I was able to get it rolling and pop the clutch and it started up. I towed it back to the house and charged it up. After charging it I rode it back to Daytona a few times and everything was fine. No problems starting or anything. Rode over 100 miles with no problems. A few weeks later I went riding with the neighbor and was about 20 min. into the ride when the same thing happened. Bike sat for a while until I finished school and moved back to GA. I had the stator rebuilt by a professional about a month ago. Went out riding after getting the rebuilt stator put back in. Made it about 11 miles before the bike left me stranded again. Figured if the stator wasn't the problem then it has to be the regulator/recitfier. So ordered an after martketone online. Before taking it back out I decided to test it with a volt meter. Battery was charged and showing 12.5 volts before starting. After starting the bike, the battery was still showing 12.5 V and didn't rise or fall when reving the engine up to around 5,000-8,000 rpm. When removing the origanal reg./recifier one of the connections was burned and melted. After looking at the wiring diagram that wire that was melted is one of three wires coming from the stator. I have done all that I know to do, as I am by no means a mechanic. Can anyone give me advice or maybe a solution? Any help will be greatly appreciated as I just finished school and have no money to take it to a shop because my money goes to student loans.

Old 12-10-2007, 07:58 PM
Default RE: charging system problem need help!

you should have tested it before you had any work done. now i don't know what's working and what's not. the stator and the Regulator / rectifier sounds like they were worked very hard. that's common amongst many battery failures. pushing so many electrons through the windings causes them to heat up, a lot. i'm not surprised the wires burned up like they did. the bike was trying to charge a broken battery that wouldn't take a charge. at that point you should have had the battery draw tested when you realized the battery wasn't taking a full charge. that more than likely would have fixed the problem right then and there. Healthy batteries, when fully charged, should show a voltage higher than 12.6 VDC. around 12.8 to 13.2 VDC is what they should show.

oops. all that money, down the drain. so much for the college education making people smarter. **take that with a gain of salt**

Old 12-10-2007, 09:45 PM

the battery is wher I started. Always try to start with the simpilist thing right? That didn't solve the problem so I started with looking at other possibilities. What other ideas do you have. Oh, by the way I'm a commercial pilot not a mechanic. Thats why I am asking for help.

Old 12-10-2007, 10:16 PM

ORIGINAL: wfmartinjr

the battery is wher I started. Always try to start with the simpilist thing right? That didn't solve the problem so I started with looking at other possibilities. What other ideas do you have. Oh, by the way I'm a commercial pilot not a mechanic. Thats why I am asking for help.
you left it go to long. that's what caused the ancillary damage to rest of the system. when it comes to voltage transformation and energy storage, you have to fix a problem the moment it rears it's ugly head. otherwise crap like this happens.

you're bike IS stock, right?

All you need is a Multimeter, a charger, and battery tester (you can take this to advance auto to have tested instead) to properly diagnose your charging system. get a Honda Service manual and run though the tests. if you can't afford that, stop riding until a: you can afford professional service or b: sell it. Doing what you're doing now is costing you a lot more money than not fixing it properly.

this is no different than a car. learn to fix it yourself if you can't afford to have someone else do it.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:11 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Follow what knight said by starting with the battery load tested. What type of bike do you have because when the technician tests the battery, they'll need to know the cold cranking amps (CCA) on it. I would also check all the connections in the charging system because like knight said, things get HOT. Everything in the charging system that creates resistance will heat up and the connectors are asource of resistance. They will get HOT and melt as you found on the reg/rec connector. Here is a link that will help to diagnose what the problem is.

http://forums.cbrworld.net/forums/140473/ShowPost.aspx

Old 12-11-2007, 01:25 AM

First off, and i havent seen this advised yet, cut the connectors and soldier the 3 wires coming from the stator together. This fixes a lot of charging problems on Hondas.