valve adjustment?

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2013, 09:06 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Valve adjustment

My cbr 1000 needed adjustment at 30k. Doing it myself. You do need the special tool to disengage the cct. My Honda made tool broke int 3 pieces and i was pretty gentle with it. The tool is garbage an costs $70. I have rehabed my tool. It is unlikely they you can find an off the shelf screwdriver that will work. Overall the job is very difficult unless you have girl hands or a lot of experience. Honda has ensured that there is never enough room to work. My advice is pay a mechanic to do the work or just run it till it burns. I would never do this again and im only half done. I have reshimmed and am now re- assembling it. Maybe working on the 6000 is easier to work on.

Old 05-08-2013, 02:59 AM
Exclamation Valve adjustment

My rehabed special tool retracted the cct just enough to get the cam cain and sprokets back on, barely....but i think im good. It is worth noting that i put the system back together twice and was one tooth off. Make sure you mark the the cam chain holders with some scratch marks. I marked the cam lobe oil port on the intake side, and an obvious line in the exhaust cam. Without these marks you are playing trial by error. My cams are back in dead on the money. It is also worth noting that the manual has an error. WHen you first check the valves you are at TDC A. When you are done you are at TDC B. The timIng can be reset at either location, but the 08 manual leaves you at TDC B. To get back to tdc b simply rotate the crank another 360 with the cam sprockets removed. This must be done gingerly as the chain can bind. In any case after too much suffering i am on my way back to running. To check TDC A vs TDC B simply probe down the spark plug holes. That will tell you is 4 and 2 are up or vice versa. It took all my strength to retract the cct plunger after my tool broke. This caused me much suffering. You cannoy reassemble the sprockets without the cct totally disengaged. My tool sucked. It was the alternative tool listed in the 08 only manual for usa models only. An an alternative may be to remove the cct. But the assembly will have to be carefully retracted to reinstall it. Maybe my tool was bad. I intend to return it for a refund as mine broke. If you retract your cct, do not bump it. Secute the tool doubly. You do not want to experience what i went thru. Secure the tool with small needle nose vice grips from inside and needle nose vice grips from the outside. Do not let the tool move. The wratcheting action on my tool never worked. It would not lock in and stay in place. Use pliers. The 4 way locking x did not work Do not trust Hondas cheesy one way wrathet. It can slowly back out even when understood well. I fixed my tool using a knurled nut head and epoxy from ace hardware. The honda tool broke. It took all i had to disengage the cct assembly. This may be an ok procedure if you make no mistakes. But it can easily hecome difficult. My cams moved twice during reasseembly. I had to set the cams in place with the timing one tooth off. The carefelly reset both cam sprockets to get dead on. This is not an EZ task. The main problem is access.

Old 05-08-2013, 08:13 PM
Senior Member & Lord of The Man Cave
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did my first valve clearance inspection about a month ago at 16k miles. Fortunately, they were all still within spec.

If I had to remove the cams to replace any shims I don't know how anyone could see the timing marks on those sprockets with the engine being so close to the frame. I had enough trouble making sure the valve cover gasket was all where it should be before I torqued everything back down.

It wasn't easy but I sure wasn't going to pay a service department $500 to check them, especially not knowing if they actually did the inspection.

Old 05-15-2013, 12:56 AM

I have now reinstalled the rubix cube valve cover. Honda has made this step far more difficult than need be. I am slowly re assembing my bike. Wish me luck. Today was better than last week. I clised up by CCT. But i sprayed a bunch of oil in it to keep it smooth. I have read that the cct can bind and not tighten. This will cause great noise and destruction.

I am very upset eith Honda as every ste seems to be a geme of millimeters. Saving a few pounds on a bike is stupid when riders vary from 130 lbs to 250 or so.

In particular i am dissatisfied with the CCT, cam sprockets and valve cover. Stat tuned for more dissatisfaction.

Old 05-15-2013, 11:26 PM
Default Valve adjustment

Got my motor running today. All is good. The clutch cable was keeping one of the fans from turning but i caught it quickly while i was doing my air bleed.

Probably have it rideable tomorrow.

: