is this normal??

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2007, 12:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: is this normal??

Starting out smaller issafer and more fun when you get the hang of it. I see it a lot where a guy gets a 1k model and cant really ride it.. and i dont mean pushing the limits. what it seems like to me is that guys are buying liter bikes like its an extension of their *****. not critisizing anyone on here,but i believe that a lot of new guys are getting liter bikes so other people think that their experienced, or so people wont say you shouldve gotten a 1000..nothing to do w/ riding but check this out..i was in traffic the other day, there was a guy w/ a brand new 07 gsxr 1k blk/ora. he went to start the bike and take off,(parked) well i was stuck i traffic for a while, the guy was confused, you shouldve seen the look on his face, took off his helmet, got off the bike..ect... ect...couldnt figure out that he accidentally hit the kill switch..LOL.. now theres an experienced rider on a 1k.nothing to do with riding the bike, but it goes to show how little experienced a lot of newbies are out there,, and on 1k's.geeeessshhh stay away from me

PS. i posted pics of an accident on a mladin edition 1k, the guy had a katana 750 for a month and then went and got a 1k...well the bike was totalled, i posted the pics on the r6-forum, look under the threads posted by REKLOOSE..it was a while back hope theyre still up. to all you guys starting out on 1k's its not for everyone, good luck to those who do, and god bless....

Old 10-27-2007, 02:55 PM

I don't think a Lambo for a beginner is a smart idea either. That Lambo clutch is a bear to shift and the only thing you will look like is a moron grinding the clutch all over town and then you have to buy a new one at $50000 or only getting 3 miles to the gallon. Then you have to pay thousands in insurance every year. Personally I would buy the Civic if those were my choices.
You should never buy a car or bike for one reason only (Like power or speed). The bigger they are the more intimidating they are (especially if you have never been on one before) and that doesn't make you comfortable on the bike which is bad for learning how to ride. The first time on the highway was difficult for me just going over the 5-10 mph that I learned on (MSF Course). I wasn't ready for a bigger and better bike until I had almost 2 years on mine since I was only putting 2000-3000 miles on it in a year. I don't ride in the rain yet (If I have a choice) and I have been on bikes for 8 years+ now over the 19+ years I have had my license.
Start on something in the 500 to 600cc range that is a little beat up and learn to ride first (The you don't need to worry about body damage) and your insurance is cheaper. Even those bikes can do over 120 mph. Hell probably a lot farther over 120 than I want to know or that I would ever get to. This also leaves you plenty of money for the proper riding gear and maybe a track day event or two so you learn the proper techniques. I started with a 85 GS550E which I liked but it was top heavy and tended to get sucked into trucks when they went by. I also had a chance to ride a 78 (?) CB360 which I hated. I never liked the feel of the bike.
Just because you think bigger, badder, and faster doesn't mean jack. You will need to find the bike that will do everything you want it to and be easy to move around in a parking lot. Bigger usually means heavier and harder to maneuver when slow going or backing it up.

Old 10-27-2007, 06:46 PM

I've been riding for about a year now and my first bike is an 1000 RR. What help alot is that all i drove before the bike were stardard tranny cars, and when it came to the bike, It felt like i've been riding all my life. it felt natural... I don't recommend getting one but i don't recommend not getting one either. I love it...I hope for all tha skip the 600 RR that they know themselves good before they leap. Anything can happen at any time while riding so be safe. PMCS that bike before riding and don't ride faster than your angel can fly...

God Bless All...