Issue with bike shutting off in Neutral...

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 12:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Issue with bike shutting off in Neutral...

Hi all..

It's been a while since I've been to the forum. Busy with life. Anywho.. I've got an issue with my bike. 2007 CBR 1000RR. Roughly 21,000 miles.. all mine, got the bike new. Never down, no history of mechanical problems.

I noticed this today when I stopped my bike to open my gate to park: I put my bike into Neutral, put the kickstand down, and walked to the gate. As I did that, the bike shut off... though the bike didn't shut off right away.

I let it sit a while, went to dinner.. came back, and took it out for a spin to see if it was still acting up. While riding, I threw the bike into Neutral, and noticed the Neutral light flickering. The bike never shut off while I was riding.. I probably rode for about 15-20 minutes without any issues. But when I got home, and put it into Neutral + kickstand down, the same thing happened a few more times. Not an instant engine shut off, but I let it sit a little while, and it eventually bogged out and shut off.

I have a full sys Arrow w/PC obviously, I thought it was an issue w/that at first. I've had wires from the PC disconnect, resulting in sluggish take-off/running. I checked that out, and all the wires seemed to be fine.

Any info or suggestions would be much appreciated. I was thinking the Neutral Safety Switch or possibly Gear Selector Switch....!? What do you think? Thanks guys.

-Tim

Last edited by deadboy519; 03-20-2009 at 12:33 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 03-20-2009, 01:28 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

When you are sitting on the bike in neutral with the stand down does it still bog and die or only when you lean it over on the side stand? Could be the tip sensor. If it is the gear position sensor going on you then you can check by trying to restart with it in neutral and the side stand down. Starter should turn but if the ECU thinks it's in gear it won't turn.

Old 03-20-2009, 10:51 AM

Hmm.. now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that when I leaned the bike to the stand side is when I noticed it bog out and shut off. I don't think it ever died as I had the bike upright in neutral. The bike did start back up, even with it in neutral and kickstand down. Perhaps a short in the tip sensor? Could that be the cause? It seems to be an intermittent thing...

As soon as I get a chance later this evening, I'll start up my bike to be 100% sure. I'll try sitting on it for a while in neutral without putting the kick stand down. From there, I'll put the kick stand down.. hopefully I'll get conclusive results.

Assuming the problem is the tip sensor, which makes sense to me.. any idea what it would cost for the part and what specifically I would need? And if it bogs out in neutral without being tipped, what might that be??

Thanks for the assistance. Sorry for all the questions. I just don't like that my baby is sick.

Last edited by deadboy519; 03-20-2009 at 11:03 AM.
Old 04-10-2009, 10:54 PM

my 06 has 22k on it and my nuetral light started flickering we pulled the sensor to check it out with the meter and it was bad sensor was cheap so i ordered a new one. my tip sensor was removed at about 8k because it kept interfering when i rode turned out there was a bad pin in the plug... i would be running backroadsin the triple digits and hit a bump and it felt like the bike literally died it even once didit on the dyno and it actually dropped the hp to 2 and then when right back up

Old 06-24-2019, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by deadboy519
Hmm.. now that you mention it, I'm pretty sure that when I leaned the bike to the stand side is when I noticed it bog out and shut off. I don't think it ever died as I had the bike upright in neutral. The bike did start back up, even with it in neutral and kickstand down. Perhaps a short in the tip sensor? Could that be the cause? It seems to be an intermittent thing...

As soon as I get a chance later this evening, I'll start up my bike to be 100% sure. I'll try sitting on it for a while in neutral without putting the kick stand down. From there, I'll put the kick stand down.. hopefully I'll get conclusive results.

Assuming the problem is the tip sensor, which makes sense to me.. any idea what it would cost for the part and what specifically I would need? And if it bogs out in neutral without being tipped, what might that be??

Thanks for the assistance. Sorry for all the questions. I just don't like that my baby is sick.
Just check the connection on the neutral sensor from the stand start bike up in neutral on the stand obviously, & try poking at the wire with a screwdriver if bike judders or stalls then that's the problem, if not then check for continuity between the stand & the clutch lever could be as simple as a faulty switch.