F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

HAUNTED F4i. The Saga Continues - Neutral Light

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 02:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HAUNTED F4i. The Saga Continues - Neutral Light

Hey guys.

I have previous post talking about my Neutral Light (N) blinking sometimes when the bike is on neutral, or just dont turning ON.

I was thinking that it was caused by the clutches sticking or Neutral not fully engaging.

I replaced my Clutch, and replaced the Clutch Cable.

The saga continues...

I noticed that this just happens ONLY when the bike it hot. I can run my bike for 20 minutes with no problem. after that, and after my bike is above 200F, the problem starts..

SCENARIO:

8:00am. - I crank the bike and take off to work.
8:05-8:20- I can stop in all traffic light and engage neutral with no problems. Light will come up and work like a charm.
8:30 - I get to work. if i put the bike in neutral it will blink a little bit, or just wont come up. If I rev the bike a little it will come on, and sometimes ON and then off while continuosly reving. If i put the kick Stand (side stand) the bike will shut off (because it senses that is not in neutral). If the light is ON the bike will stay running, but can suddenly shut off if the light decides to turn off.

I have heard people saying about the Kickstand Switch. The weird thing is that it just happens when HOT. And when I rev it kinda blinks.

My thoughts are that if the kickstand switch is going SOUTH, it will give trouble at all times, not after 30 mins of using the bike.

ANy ideas ?!!

Old 07-23-2007, 02:22 PM
Default RE: HAUNTED F4i. The Saga Continues - Neutral Light

Ohh!! New Oil too! the bike engage gears like a charm. everything works fine.

Old 07-23-2007, 04:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey... the bike will look at the kickstand switch only if it thinks it's not in neutral. If it is in neutral, it should ignore the kick stand switch.

I'd say your neutral sensor's going south... dont know much about that sensor though It might be just a case of a loose connection too. You know as the bike heats metals expand just a little, maybe that's causing a microscopic loose contact in the switch... try to debug that. Replacing the clutch seemed like overkill unless you needed it replaced anyway...
This might help:
http://cbrworld.net/forums/thread/262959.aspx

Old 07-24-2007, 01:43 AM

Could be a neutral sensor going bad like ampfp mentioned or a bare / cutneutral wire that's making contact with metal as the bike is moving, giving a false short to ground scenario making the light come on randomly.

Old 07-24-2007, 07:40 AM

where is the neutral sensor located?

Old 07-27-2007, 12:39 AM

It's on the left-hand side of the engine. I don't have an F4i, but going by what the picture in the manual looks like, the switch is located directly above the shift shaft and below the sprocket. It will be a single wire connector going to a sensor in the engine case.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:01 AM

Neutral safety switch and/or chaffed wire, it wouldn't be broken because then it wouldn't work at all. It might just be touching ground a bit and making it flicker.

Old 07-28-2007, 06:27 PM

It could be coming on if the wire were broken. If there is an open wire (for instance, the end of a cut wire) touching a ground, the light will flash on.

Old 04-01-2011, 06:18 PM

Wow i am having this problem too. 2001 f4i. Did you find any solutions??? I was looking into the kickstand its not it. Same thing happens only when its hot, which i cant even go to the gas station to fill up without waiting for it to cool. If you bought a new neutral sensor, how much? And where?

Old 04-02-2011, 12:12 AM

sounds like the cluster is the problem.. what you haveing is the wires are expaniding when hot . you can have voltage drop and that sounds like whats going on to me.. i will look in the book and find the wires and try to upload a pic of the wires. the reason i think its the cluster is becase it happens when it gets hot . thikn of it as a bridge when it gets cold it contracts. this is the problem ..

Quick Reply: HAUNTED F4i. The Saga Continues - Neutral Light