2007 Honda cbr stop running while riding and smoke coming from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2023, 07:00 AM
Received 133 Likes on 116 Posts

Doubtful a screwdriver would mar it enough to worry about - screwing a sharp thread chaser into it is another matter. Tell your friend to stick to lawnmowers though perhaps?

Old 04-15-2023, 02:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockpool
Doubtful a screwdriver would mar it enough to worry about - screwing a sharp thread chaser into it is another matter. Tell your friend to stick to lawnmowers though perhaps?
thanks a lot for all the help.He definitely isn’t working on anything of mines with a motor.At this point I wouldn’t even trust him with a lawnmower

Old 04-15-2023, 03:45 PM

dude - be VERY careful when you chase out those threads - use lots of grease to capture any shavings, make sure you have the piston down in the bore so you don't ding the top of it, and get it in straight - this is a one-time deal, bugger it up and you're looking at having an insert fitted. Once you're done, turn the engine over a few times to blow any shavings out before you install the plug.
hey I also don’t have a compressor to blow the hole out not even sure I can due to how deep the plug is.do you think it’s fine if I use a lot of grease and when done turn the engine over.

Old 04-15-2023, 07:18 PM
Received 392 Likes on 354 Posts

Probably fine. Shavings are soft aluminium and can't hurt as much as screwdriver! Crank engine over for 10-15s afterwards with all plugs removed should be Ok.

The following users liked this post:
Hariscbr1000rr (04-15-2023)
Old 04-15-2023, 07:19 PM

Originally Posted by dannoxyz
Probably fine. Shavings are soft aluminium and can't hurt as much as screwdriver! Crank engine over for 10-15s afterwards with all plugs removed should be Ok.
i went to put the thread chase in it fit but I couldn’t get a socket to fit in the head with it.Any idea what to do should I make my own thread chaser from the old spark plugs?

Old 04-16-2023, 04:26 AM

what size socket do you need?

Is there room for one of these thin-wall steel
sockets?
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/wmr-w166

Then just put regular socket on outside end for ratchet wrench

Last edited by dannoxyz; 02-11-2024 at 12:47 AM.
Old 04-16-2023, 07:57 AM

What you need is an M10 x 1.0 limited access spark plug thread chaser - but I don't think anyone makes one :-(

Here's how you make a chaser from an old plug - I usually break the electrode out of the center along with the grounding tang just to eliminate any chance of dropping bits into the head. Once you've cut the slots, run it through a very good m10 nut a few times to get rid of any burrs etc. If it snags in a good nut, it's not going to help your case - you want it to be smooth as silk in a good thread.

Some people cut the slots at an angle, some cut straight up. Personally, I like an angle but I don't have any reason as to why. I've used this trick twice in my life, both times it was "puckering".

https://www.protoolreviews.com/diy-s...ad-chaser-fix/

The following users liked this post:
dannoxyz (04-16-2023)
Old 04-25-2023, 11:26 PM

What you need is an M10 x 1.0 limited access spark plug thread chaser - but I don't think anyone makes one :-(

Here's how you make a chaser from an old plug - I usually break the electrode out of the center along with the grounding tang just to eliminate any chance of dropping bits into the head. Once you've cut the slots, run it through a very good m10 nut a few times to get rid of any burrs etc. If it snags in a good nut, it's not going to help your case - you want it to be smooth as silk in a good thread.

Some people cut the slots at an angle, some cut straight up. Personally, I like an angle but I don't have any reason as to why. I've used this trick twice in my life, both times it was "puckering".

https://www.protoolreviews.com/diy-s...ad-chaser-fix/
UPDATE-I was able to get a thread Chaser kit with the right size it worked great.The new spark plug went in like butter.I put everything together.After I was done it started right up.I rode to the gas station filled up and put b15 fuel injection cleaner.I rode about 10 miles and the bike shut off on me.Once again I had to rent a truck.and haul it home.I can’t really win with this bike.now it kinda doing the same thing it did when I bike first broke down.It sometimes starts for a few seconds as soon as I give gas it cuts off.The first time the bike broke down and I took out the fuel pump I found a small piece with a rubber line inside the tank.It come off the fuel pump after I put it back on it started not sure if that was the cause.I will tank the pump off and see if the piece came off.any advice?

Old 04-26-2023, 09:53 AM

lol Mine is much the same. Does sound like fuel starvation - I think you can test that by disconnecting the fuel line from the injector rail and turning the ignition on? You should get a robust flow of fuel for a second or two as it primes.

Old 04-26-2023, 12:09 PM

Do actual flow-test and pressure test of pump to get some numbers.

Last edited by dannoxyz; 02-11-2024 at 12:49 AM.

Quick Reply: 2007 Honda cbr stop running while riding and smoke coming from exhaust