2007 Honda cbr stop running while riding and smoke coming from exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2023, 08:05 AM
Received 133 Likes on 116 Posts

Agreed - unless the PM went into the reserve - the regular pickup is a little off the bottom of the tank?

Old 03-31-2023, 11:21 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

Originally Posted by rockpool
Agreed - unless the PM went into the reserve - the regular pickup is a little off the bottom of the tank?
The 1000RR is a fuel injected bike. The fuel pickup location is the same, unlike a carbureted bike with a petcock.

Old 03-31-2023, 01:23 PM
Received 392 Likes on 354 Posts

Tank contamination sounds like possible issue. You can use flow-test procedure from manual to dump remaining petrol out of tank, pump and fuel-lines:

Repeat pump-priming until nothing flows out. Then re-fill 1/2 tank with fresh petrol and add 1/3rd bottle PEA-based fuel-system cleaner:

- Red Line SI-1
- Techron Concentrate Plus
- 3M Max Strength Fuel System Cleaner #08814
- Royal Purple Max Atomizer 18000
- Gumout All-in-One (might be off list soon due to dropping levels of PEA)

Last edited by dannoxyz; 03-31-2023 at 01:25 PM.
Old 03-31-2023, 02:06 PM

duh you are right - I am at a loss then. White smoke coming from the exhaust is most always a head gaskit and will be indicated by compression - and most often water in the oil.

White smoke coming from the engine - usually a coolant leak (or driving through water)

Old 04-03-2023, 02:08 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi dannoxyz

I am new to the forum - but have a problem with a CBR600 F4 - which might benefit from this.

i have owned it for 20 years - but it has been off road for 8 years. I've drained the fuel (some corrosion in tank, sadly). Fuel pump replaced, plugs changed. One injector replaced. Now (usually) starts & initially runs ok (maybe more white smoke than I remember). It's ok to give some throttle - it revs accordingly. After warming up, and opening up the throttle, causes the engine to bog down - and usually stalls.

I reckon there is a misfire - but running seems to get worse when warm (unless these are 2 separate problems).

A petrol drain - and fuel system cleaner sounds like a place to start?

But the way, the manual/pictures in your post look very helpful. Where can I get a copy of the manual?

Any help greatly appreciated
Cheers

Old 04-03-2023, 02:26 PM

one injector replaced? Did the other three test ok?
My usual test is to fire it up, let it idle and see if each downtube gets hot - not hot = faulty injector or spark.

Old 04-03-2023, 02:30 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Injector was changed by garage - as they said that's the problem area. Didn't fix it though! I can't afford any more costly attempts by them to fix it.

I will check out the hot down pipes test tomorrow.
Thanks

Old 04-03-2023, 06:59 PM
Received 392 Likes on 354 Posts

Originally Posted by Nick H
Hi dannoxyz

I am new to the forum - but have a problem with a CBR600 F4 - which might benefit from this.

i have owned it for 20 years - but it has been off road for 8 years. I've drained the fuel (some corrosion in tank, sadly). Fuel pump replaced, plugs changed. One injector replaced. Now (usually) starts & initially runs ok (maybe more white smoke than I remember). It's ok to give some throttle - it revs accordingly. After warming up, and opening up the throttle, causes the engine to bog down - and usually stalls.

I reckon there is a misfire - but running seems to get worse when warm (unless these are 2 separate problems).

A petrol drain - and fuel system cleaner sounds like a place to start?

But the way, the manual/pictures in your post look very helpful. Where can I get a copy of the manual?

Any help greatly appreciated
Cheers
Please start different thread for this. Your symptoms and issues are completely different . Most likely with different problem causes and solutions as well.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rockpool
Maybe random but how low was the gas when it started smoking? Any chance there’s water in your fuel tank? Maybe a good idea to syphon what’s left and look - white smoke with good compression is mysterious, but sucking in water would do that.
This happen 9 miles after I filled up.

Old 04-04-2023, 12:32 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dannoxyz
Tank contamination sounds like possible issue. You can use flow-test procedure from manual to dump remaining petrol out of tank, pump and fuel-lines:

Repeat pump-priming until nothing flows out. Then re-fill 1/2 tank with fresh petrol and add 1/3rd bottle PEA-based fuel-system cleaner:

- Red Line SI-1
- Techron Concentrate Plus
- 3M Max Strength Fuel System Cleaner #08814
- Royal Purple Max Atomizer 18000
- Gumout All-in-One (might be off list soon due to dropping levels of PEA)
Hey this could highly possible because the fuel pump was replaced and the gas had rust that I stripped using vinegar.I didn’t replace the whole pump unit only the pump it self people told me it wasn’t possible but I was able to.

Quick Reply: 2007 Honda cbr stop running while riding and smoke coming from exhaust