CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

won't start when the engine is warm.. why?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2006, 09:59 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: won't start when the engine is warm.. why?

"yesterday i got it startet and accidently hit the engine stop button 2 secs after... and after that it wouldn't start again.. could it vaporise so fast? "

This means something, no heat after 2 seconds

Old 07-07-2006, 11:13 AM

I have been driving and it was only cooled off a bit... enough to get it startet i guess.. [&:]

Old 07-31-2006, 03:58 PM

Now the starter is changed, but that wasn't the problem (still don't know what the problem is) So they will get it in when i'm on vacation for 10 days in august. So they can find the problem. They have been jetting the carbs and giving me a new battery and a new starter but it still didn't help

Old 07-31-2006, 04:15 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

My take one the starting problem is that, I have heard that when the piston to cylinder tolerance is tight, or ring to ring groove, the pistons can expand making the engine hard to start when it its hot. I don't actually know what happens. Things aren’t rubbing. I would guess that the ring grooves tighten on the rings and the engine is to tight to turn over. Letting it cool for a few minutes helps with this problem. I had small block Chevy’s that did it to me. They were known for their not wanting to start and turning over slowly when they had just been running.

EDIT ADD: Maybe you should check the engine temp. when it is running. It may be to hot. Perhape changing the thermostat may help. Over heated engines just don't start easy. Flushing the radiator???

Old 08-01-2006, 12:17 AM

It sounds like it could be a bad coil! A lot of times when a coil is going bad when it's cold it will put out the right amount of voltage, but when it gets hot the voltage drops and it will not produce the right amount of spark. Your machine should have two coils, but if one is bad it's enough to cause it not to start when hot. Sometimes the bike will just quit when it gets hot. My suggestion, take it up the road and get it good and warm, lift the tank, and check to see if your getting any spark.. Check each plug individually(might be getting spark on two of the plugs but not the other two). Another thing, if that's not the problem maybe check the fuel tank vent( it should not build pressure when you take the cap off). If it's building pressure it will override the float seats and flood the engine. Best of luck P.S. If it keeps cranking when your trying to restart it, it is not the battery. Keep Ripping!! Roadripper!