CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 06:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do not own any of these tools though I'm thinking in getting one myself. I found this one which a few people recommend as being a good tool. I have no personal experience with it but I know a local motorcycle shop uses it. Here is the link http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/...artno/08-0119/
It goes for about $17-25 if you do a google search. Hope it helps

Old 05-12-2013, 08:11 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^

Right but not much use on D socket pilot needles & the cheaper one don't do 90 degrees either
Having said that if you dremel a slot into each "D" needle the cheaper tool would work

Picked mine up used on Ebay for < 50 shipped with extra bits

EDIT:

Also today I had to make changes to the mk3 fuel send unit I put in my mk2 1990.

Had a make a Z shaped bend to the float wire so the float was centered in the tank
as it was catching the petcock filter and also had to bend it downwards so
it was 1cm up from level with the base plate of the unit - so it registered empty accurately

It is now 100% accurate - empty is indeed empty - 1/2 tank is exactly half full and
accurate all the way up to full

I'll still carry a liter bottle of fuel like always tho' cuz ya just never know

Old 05-13-2013, 01:59 PM
Senior Member & tensioner mod inventor ROTM WINNER FEB 2013

Originally Posted by Sprock
^

Had a make a Z shaped bend to the float wire so the float was centered in the tank
as it was catching the petcock filter and also had to bend it downwards so
it was 1cm up from level with the base plate of the unit - so it registered empty accurately

It is now 100% accurate - empty is indeed empty - 1/2 tank is exactly half full and
accurate all the way up to full

I'll still carry a liter bottle of fuel like always tho' cuz ya just never know
You know what? I read this first thing today and thought to myself.... that's something I must get round to doing. Really I must.
Bugger me, riding home this evening I'm thinking...... I've done 190 miles on this tank and it hasn't even gone on to reserve yet........ pta ptaptatatatata..... switched to reserve........... brrrrrrrrrrrrr..... put put fzzzzzt ptaptaptaptapta...... silence. IT's amazing what noises you hear from your bike when you're rolling along the hard shoulder without the engine running. (Note to self, rattle coming from front end somewhere.)

Anyway, there was fuel left in the tank. I should actually have had about 10-15 miles left, maybe 2 litres.
Hoiked the bike over on the side stand so that the fuel would have no choice other than to run into the tubes. Crank over with choke for about 30 seconds and sure enough..... chug..... chug chug........ chug hug chg chugh cugh brrrrrrum!!! Sorry if I'm becoming a little onomatopoeic.

Anyway, it sucked the gas enough to get me to the next fuel stop about 2 miles away.

I'm just about to drain the tank and get the crud out, if there is any. Can't work out why the reserve didn't kick in though.

The miles are piling on fast. Where's my beer?

Thanks for contributing to my day Sprocklet!

Last edited by HenryM; 05-13-2013 at 02:02 PM.
Old 05-13-2013, 02:14 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by HenryM
You know what? I read this first thing today and thought to myself.... that's something I must get round to doing. Really I must.
Bugger me, riding home this evening I'm thinking...... I've done 190 miles on this tank and it hasn't even gone on to reserve yet........ pta ptaptatatatata..... switched to reserve........... brrrrrrrrrrrrr..... put put fzzzzzt ptaptaptaptapta...... silence. IT's amazing what noises you hear from your bike when you're rolling along the hard shoulder without the engine running. (Note to self, rattle coming from front end somewhere.)

Anyway, there was fuel left in the tank. I should actually have had about 10-15 miles left, maybe 2 litres.
Hoiked the bike over on the side stand so that the fuel would have no choice other than to run into the tubes. Crank over with choke for about 30 seconds and sure enough..... chug..... chug chug........ chug hug chg chugh cugh brrrrrrum!!! Sorry if I'm becoming a little onomatopoeic.

Anyway, it sucked the gas enough to get me to the next fuel stop about 2 miles away.

I'm just about to drain the tank and get the crud out, if there is any. Can't work out why the reserve didn't kick in though.

The miles are piling on fast. Where's my beer?

Thanks for contributing to my day Sprocklet!
I imagine you should be getting more than 190 miles to a full tank...

Reserve not working? Clogged fuel valve or broken fuel valve filter.

Rattle up front? sucks... hope you get that worked out.

Old 05-13-2013, 02:35 PM

Yeah!
It's gonna have to wait. I found the beer. After 600 miles yesterday I haven't actually got the energy to sort it tonight. Just fill her up in the morning and do it another evening.
It could be crap in the tap I suppose.
Cheers

Old 05-14-2013, 11:58 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

My fuel has been leaking, slowly getting worse. Thought it could be O rings or gaskets but NO ! - the tank (which was coated abt 4 years back) has sprung a leak in the same place as before.A BAD leak - fuel POURING out of a spot under the front mounting plate, where it leaked before..........
Took it back to the guys who did the job, now they are REMOVING THE BOTTOM OF MY TANK (OMG) and removing all the coating and recoating it. The owner said he's only had 2 failures in 12 years (he does about 3 tanks per week) AND as the product (and his work) has a lifetime guarantee - it'll all be fixed free gratis !
NOW THAT'S SERVICE !

Old 05-15-2013, 02:46 AM
Super Moderator
Received 30 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
My fuel has been leaking, slowly getting worse. Thought it could be O rings or gaskets but NO ! - the tank (which was coated abt 4 years back) has sprung a leak in the same place as before.A BAD leak - fuel POURING out of a spot under the front mounting plate, where it leaked before..........
Took it back to the guys who did the job, now they are REMOVING THE BOTTOM OF MY TANK (OMG) and removing all the coating and recoating it. The owner said he's only had 2 failures in 12 years (he does about 3 tanks per week) AND as the product (and his work) has a lifetime guarantee - it'll all be fixed free gratis !
NOW THAT'S SERVICE !
Or you'll jail them

Good service should be applauded and made public. Well done Shadow!

Cheers, SB

Old 05-15-2013, 08:58 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nah Bear - the owner Mike has done some work for me over the years when he was struggling. Now he's doing well. He's good people well regarded locally as being a man of his word. Proof is in the pudding.
Name is Paz bike creations - does a lot of dealerwork, resprays cutom work and the like.
I think if he went to jail he'd just respray the place...........................LoL

Old 05-15-2013, 05:21 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Stand up Guy by the sounds of it Pete - your issue has me looking at mine and I may
add a few rubber bumpers at the edge of the tank up there between the frame and
the area of that mount point - it takes quite a bit of weight when the tank is fully filled
and does indeed flex

Old 05-16-2013, 04:04 AM

If you come up with any clever ideas on that Sprock please be sure to put the pics up. My old tank went the same way so I worry about my current one eventually breaking down and that old petrol smell coming back.

Quick Reply: What have you done to your CBR 1000f today?