CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

volts and amps and diodes...oh my

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2011, 01:35 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

$400, Don't think I would be selling it. I'd be fixing it because you can't get much for $400 to replace it!!!! I paid $850 for an 87 not going, no side fairings, broken top fairing, needed discs, + heaps more and no reg or wof and haven't regretted buying it at all. Great bikes!!!!

Old 09-04-2011, 03:05 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by h2opro
i fail to believe that i am optionless when it comes to replacing the stator cover.....so i have a few questions for the more tech savvy individuals within this forum.
i have seen just the stator for sale...without the cover, not necessarily for my year of cbr and was wondering if that is a huge deal to install. Say...perhaps i found a stator for my year or its equivalent....recommended?

i have also read that other 93 cbr owners have gone from a 28amp to a 40 amp alternator but had to retrofit the wiring harness.

Also...i have found links previously within this forum that will show what other models and their year are cross compatible with my 93 but fail to be able to find that particular link. A little help?
thx all
1 I've never seen anyone go to a 40 Amp alternator on this forum, for the 1000F.
2 The alternator cover for your bike - any of the 89-96 or later 1000F will fit.
the 87 and 88 {the H and J models) will not fit.

You need to look further than just the USA - the e-Bay site in Germany had one recently, and maybe you could check under spares in the UK site. Otherwise, the only other option is Discount Honda Kawasaki Polaris Suzuki Yamaha Parts for Motorcycles ATVS Scooters Utility Vehicles at around $220.

Old 09-21-2011, 08:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok. out of patience and weather is turning. in your humble opinion is it advisable to simply just replace the stator? like reuse the cover but replace the stator coil? i noticed that there is a portion of the wiring secured by a hardened epoxy? or something to that nature before exiting the cover.
yes i could just purchase a new stator cover and have everything i need....but money talks and i can find just the coil for around $100.00 less.
not finding any 'how to's' on the subject.

Old 09-22-2011, 02:31 AM

I'd replace the complete stator cover and windings, as they aren't designed to be removed. It HAS been done, by one of our members, a guy called KASKA ( KASPAR KALLIP) - HE'S IN ESTONIA ON THE BORDER OF RUSSIA AND FITTED HIS GOOD ELECTRICS INTO A COVER WHICH i SENT HIM.
SEND HIM A PM OR AN E-MAIL - SURE HE'LL HELP YOU.
Best of luck.

Old 09-22-2011, 06:54 PM

ok. thanks again shadow

Old 11-16-2011, 07:40 PM

just a quick hello and thx to all. i just wanted to send an update to my past issues regarding r&r and stator and battery....
I tested r&r, stator with an altimeter. Found both to be bad. Purchased used r&r immediately, had installed new battery already and was waiting and watching for a good price for a used stator cover.
Decided that the bike was better off going to another good home, put an ad in the paper, and immediately started getting calls. I let it not be a secret that the bike would not hold a charge, but only the brave and willing could take her out for a spin.
So...i finally installed the used r&r, put battery and alternator back in, and just out of curiosity tested the charge.....well ill be damned.......it was producing a charge like never before. It seems my test of the stator was done incorrectly. What a pile of *hit! This whole time....all this nice freakin weather we have had that i could have been riding.....all because i saw no reason to install the used r&r if the stator was bad. Good god.
Needless to say....the charging issue has been resolved. Now.....lets ride...

Old 11-16-2011, 11:43 PM

Another 1000F stays on the road.
Good thing.
If you have any further trouble with your R/R I'd recheck your stator - mine worked for about 6 months putting about 70% charge into the battery with a new R/R. Eventually bunt out the R/R again.
I had burnt coil windings in the stator. Changed it for an e-Bay special for $50 and all is well.
If I were you. I'd keep an eye out for a cheap spare stator cover on e-Bay.
Well worth having as a spare.

I tested r&r, stator with an altimeter
ummmmmm - at what altitude ? or do you mean an ampmeter or voltmeter.
Glad she'll all well again and I hope you keep her - she's worth it.

Old 11-17-2011, 07:02 PM

oh ha. ha.

ok u got me there. perhaps i shouldnt have been testing my bike in the air...what?...i thought everyone was doing it lol.
What i meant and what i typed.....2 totally different things.
multimeter.......multimeter....not altimeter.
nice catch shadow........no one likes a showoff lol

When u state burnt coil windings...can u see it if u inspect it? I mean does it look like its burnt? Honestly, my windings looked pretty consistant as far as color....but it was the first time i had ever seen one so.......anyway...thats why im asking.

Last edited by Sprock; 11-17-2011 at 08:10 PM. Reason: trips
Old 11-17-2011, 10:37 PM

You can't see the windings are burned which is why you need someone with a megger tester (who knows what he's doing) to test it properly.The normal voltmeter won't do it properly. It's usually on the inner windings.

What i meant and what i typed.....2 totally different things. I do it too
The important thing is that you're back on the road. My bike sat for 4 weeks......
not possible to buy one locally here in darkest africa .
Give me a call if you have any more trouble.

Make sure your connections are tight on the R/R - loose ones can cause problems too.