CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

volts and amps and diodes...oh my

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2011, 02:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default volts and amps and diodes...oh my

using a flow chart ive been able to determine that the stator and r&r are bad. go figure. do i need to replace the stator AND alternator? how do u know if the actual alternator is bad? little confused......thx
93 CBR 1000f

i have the stator cover off, very little oil came out. not sure what im looking for as far as good or bad windings. perhaps there is a test i can make with the multimeter?

as far as i understand it, there is the cover (which i already have removed) then the actual alternator?

what, as far as the alternator itself, should i be looking for?
thx for any input

Last edited by h2opro; 08-27-2011 at 05:15 PM.
Old 08-27-2011, 06:24 PM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The service manual gives test procedures and specs for testing both the rectifier and alternator. You'll need a multimeter and the manual.

If you don't have a manual check out the section on manuals at the top of this forum. IIRC the are sites listed that will allow you to download whatever you need.

Old 08-27-2011, 09:24 PM

thx for your reply DRam, but im more interested in the actual physical removal of the generator, or alternator. as i have already said i have the cover off already.
heres what i know for sure....no voltage coming from generator, and testing the diodes on the r&r suggest it is fried as well.
what im confused about is since the alternator, stator, generator...whatever its called for sure, has two components that can be replaced, how can i tell for sure the actual alternator, not the cover, is bad as well?
should the shaft spin freely with your hands or?
i have the honda online shop manual and it does not show how to remove the alternator once the cover is removed...or does it? if so im not sure which section it is hiding in.
ive already ordered a used r&r ($60) and just praying that i will only need to replace the generator cover.
im a little fuzzy where it comes to removing the alternator. can it just be pulled out without affecting the damper or bearing?

Old 08-29-2011, 06:27 AM

has anyone seen a used alternator cover (or new for a decent price)?

Old 08-29-2011, 01:22 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

should the shaft spin freely with your hands or?

No, it's on a gear which is turned by a chain around the crankshaft.

The stator/alternator cover is fairly easy to remove. There are 3 bolts (on my 90 model)
DO NOT STICK A SCREWDRIVER IN ONE SIDE AND ATTEMPT TO LEVER IT OFF !!
Tap it with a soft mallet on the sides - there\s a bearing on the end of the shaft which may stick, so have some patience getting it off.
Here's a pic of the spare one I keep (I've had problems before)

And when you put the replacement in, remember
1 the gasket
2 DON'T TRY TO PULL IT UP TIGHT BY TURNING THE BOLTS - YOU'LL BREAK THE CASING.GIVE IT A WHACK WITH A SOFT MALLET (PIECE OF WOOD AND A NORMAL HAMMER WILL WORK TOO) in the middle until it seats all the way on.

One more thing - MARK THE POSITION WHEN YOU TAKE IT OFF - if you don't you'll have it on and off at least 3 times before you get it right (ask me how I know this) The bolts won't line up - I learned at least 3 more cusswords doing it
Hope it helps -

Attached Thumbnails volts and amps and diodes...oh my-s1050131.jpg   volts and amps and diodes...oh my-s1050132.jpg  
Old 08-29-2011, 07:02 PM

thx shadow. i had the cover off already and didnt notate the position due to the fact that the wires are there as reference.
perhaps i am confused though.....(no....not perhaps....definately) allow me to explain my sudden confusion so i can put this to bed.
i have the cover off..no problem. only reason i took it off is because it failed ac tests...i got like 2v at 5KRPM.
Now...behind the cover is the?....generator?...alternator?...the book just says alternator casing...so if im not explaining myself with the proper terminology i apologize.
I have already taken off the r&r, for it failed a simple diode test.
In closing...lol....i am replacing both the r&r and generator cover. My question is.....is there anything else about the alternator that is still inside the bike, secured with 2 bolts, that needs to be tested?
I have a r&r coming. I am looking for a used alternator cover.

Old 08-29-2011, 11:33 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cover has all the electrics in it - the probe just spins in the centre between the electrical coils to make the current that runs the bike.
So replace the cover as shown in my post, replace the R/R and you should be good to go.
Consider buying an Electrex R/R as they are much better and cheaper than the Honda part. Part no is, I think RR23

http://www.electrexworld.co.uk/rr23-...ier-598-0.html

Old 08-30-2011, 05:52 AM

thx for the link and the info. currently looking for a used cover...never thought finding just one part would be so difficult.
i appreciate the feedback. thx again shadow

Old 09-03-2011, 04:18 PM

i fail to believe that i am optionless when it comes to replacing the stator cover.....so i have a few questions for the more tech savvy individuals within this forum.
i have seen just the stator for sale...without the cover, not necessarily for my year of cbr and was wondering if that is a huge deal to install. Say...perhaps i found a stator for my year or its equivalent....recommended?

i have also read that other 93 cbr owners have gone from a 28amp to a 40 amp alternator but had to retrofit the wiring harness.

Also...i have found links previously within this forum that will show what other models and their year are cross compatible with my 93 but fail to be able to find that particular link. A little help?
thx all

Old 09-03-2011, 04:30 PM

Also....although perhaps not entirely related to this thread...out of the blue today, while i just happened to be taking out the garbage, a younger gentleman had stopped at my house bc his father had noticed my bike under tarp for some time, and this guy was just wondering if i was looking to sell it. I know...weird...but after talking to him for a few i explained how this is all new to me and although my intentions were to invest, repair, and sell later i asked him what his ballpark figure would be. Didnt really get a solid answer btw.
The way i figure it...i bought it for $400. I have since invested the cost of a used r&r and new battery, carb cleaner, starter fluid, plugs....etc etc...so minimal cost thus far, not to mention countless hours working on, reading and learning the how to's and functions.
The fairings are a thing of the past, missing several, needs new rubber...still waiting patiently for a stator cover..........i guess at this point i dont see me selling this bike for a profit period, and although not opposed to it being a keeper im curious what the a fair market value would be in your opinion?

Quick Reply: volts and amps and diodes...oh my