CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Throttlemeister Cruise Control For My Hurricane

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2010, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's fine, all the info and reviews are good. The more the better. I put that stuff here just so everyone could see all the options in one spot. I hate having to hunt around.

Old 07-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking

coz i'd had a go of his
Hmmmm..... Not gonna touch that one....

Old 07-11-2010, 05:20 PM

I just figured out that the throttle lock you don't like because it binds, is probably binding because it needs to have some grip trimmed off because the throttle lock uses some throttle tube/handlbar and that makes the right grip space shorter. IF you squeeze your full sized grip in there you end up with two throttle locks by accident. But, easy fix.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:27 PM
Administrator, MVN / ROTM NOV 2012
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Great pics Gaz , 3 smashing looking bikes man. like the trip too nice. Been to a few
spots on that route you are taking , in the past. ......Bet ya can't wait .....I'm envious
real envious man.

Y'll have to post up a little photo log along your travels...... that' be tip top man.

Last edited by Sprock; 07-11-2010 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-12-2010, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by JHouse
I just figured out that the throttle lock you don't like because it binds, is probably binding because it needs to have some grip trimmed off because the throttle lock uses some throttle tube/handlbar and that makes the right grip space shorter. IF you squeeze your full sized grip in there you end up with two throttle locks by accident. But, easy fix.
Did that mate In my opinion the lever doesn't have quite enough pull and isn't as well designed as it could have been. For the sake of a bit more movement when you switch the lock on, it could have been a brilliant bit of kit. Doh!

Gaz

Old 07-12-2010, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by Sprock
Great pics Gaz , 3 smashing looking bikes man. like the trip too nice. Been to a few
spots on that route you are taking , in the past. ......Bet ya can't wait .....I'm envious
real envious man.

Y'll have to post up a little photo log along your travels...... that' be tip top man.
You're right, i can't wait, lol. Counting the nights sleep before we go like a kid at christmas 19 more sleeps, it's 20 actually but as if we're gonna be able to sleep on the night before we go, lol.

If we can use our internet free abroard then i'll make a post and update it when we have time on the travels, but if not then i'll do a big post when we get back

Gaz

Old 07-12-2010, 05:40 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Dear NoBrains, Hi, I've had one of these Throttlemaster controls on my 95CBR1000F since I got it a few years ago. I have only used it a few times and don't recommend using them unless the road is perfectly straight for long periods. The quality of the components used is very high and the overall function is good. It may give your throttle hand a much needed break when cramping is unavoidable. However, be very careful when setting these units as it is distracting from your awareness while riding, especially if there are any vehicles around you, not recommended at this time. Also the control tends to "fade" if the bar end is not turned very tight to hold the speed constant. You might have to constantly up the speed just a hair here and there to maintain a certain level of speed. This is also distracting and can be a hazard while driving your bike. Overall, I like the idea of the unit but don't really trust the funtionality of it completely. It's kind of like handling a gun, make sure it doesn't go "off" accidentally. Sorry to kind of burst the bubble on this one, but I'm just an old "Optimist" with "experience", if you know what I mean. Gary C.

Old 07-13-2010, 02:54 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm of the same opinion as Gary - I had a cruise control jam with a caravan in tow - can't just switch off the engine because of the power assist If you hit the clutch, the engine screams, etc etc.- had some interesting moments with that.............. I had it off the car and over the fence immediately.............
I'm able to keep my throttle open with the flat of my palm, and can stretch my fingers etc without losing speed, so I'll be staying away from these...............
Anything that stops my throttle from closing instantly is a worry to me..............
My 2c worth - maybe not what you wanted to hear, though.

Old 07-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm not a huge fan of the cruise control, but I can understand the appeal. I've done over 600miles per day on the CBR with no ill effects to the hands, so I'm not really worried about it. Likely a different story if my hand bothered me, tho.
Pete, I had a throttle stick once. Crazy feeling, eh? lol..
I didn't have power anything, tho, so I just shut her down. The throttle cable got bound up.

Old 07-14-2010, 10:09 AM

Originally Posted by gary951000f
Dear NoBrains, Hi, I've had one of these Throttlemaster controls on my 95CBR1000F since I got it a few years ago. I have only used it a few times and don't recommend using them unless the road is perfectly straight for long periods. The quality of the components used is very high and the overall function is good. It may give your throttle hand a much needed break when cramping is unavoidable. However, be very careful when setting these units as it is distracting from your awareness while riding, especially if there are any vehicles around you, not recommended at this time. Also the control tends to "fade" if the bar end is not turned very tight to hold the speed constant. You might have to constantly up the speed just a hair here and there to maintain a certain level of speed. This is also distracting and can be a hazard while driving your bike. Overall, I like the idea of the unit but don't really trust the funtionality of it completely. It's kind of like handling a gun, make sure it doesn't go "off" accidentally. Sorry to kind of burst the bubble on this one, but I'm just an old "Optimist" with "experience", if you know what I mean. Gary C.
Hi Gary,
I appreciate the warning and understand exactly what you mean about distractions whilst riding etc. I would also advise people not to be fiddling about with things on the move. I've got mine set so that it doesn't let the bike lose speed when locked on as i have it set quite firmly, but obviously i'm still able to close the throttle with it on if i need to. Luckily i'm not too new to riding myself. I've been riding motorbikes now for 33 years so hopefully i can fiddle on the move without too much distraction
Thanks for your opinion though mate,
Cheers, Gaz

Last edited by NoBrains01; 07-14-2010 at 04:35 PM.