CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Question-Coolant and Fork Oil for CBR1000F

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2010, 08:10 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Many of the RED anti freeze products today are OAT ( Organic Acid Technology ) - they can not be mixed with the older type glycol based anti freeze.
Yeah, some of them are orange, too. Like that dexcool junk.

I wouldn't recommend mixing any coolant unless you're 100% sure what it is, and it's made for use in aluminum engines. Regular green Peak or Prestone mixed 50/50 with DISTILLED water is what I use in everything.

I have seen purple, red, green, orange. blue. I am sure there is others.
Yep, I've also seen yellow and pink. lol...
Seems stupid as hell to me. It's antifreeze for gawds sake. Do we need every color of the rainbow?
Hmmm... I wonder what would happen if you mixed all the colors together?

Old 12-02-2010, 08:16 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hawkwind
As far as I'm concerned, red green........it's just a colour does the same job and is better than nothing! It takes 10 mins to drain the coolant from these bikes.
Originally Posted by Dean0
Be careful - Not true any more !

Many of the RED anti freeze products today are OAT ( Organic Acid Technology ) - they can not be mixed with the older type glycol based anti freeze.

The result of mixing the two is a horrid mayo like mush making you think the head gasket has gone.

The cure is a very thorough cleaning of the coolant system and re-fill with the correct anti freeze.
Sorry Deano I didn't mean to give the impression I was saying you should mix it

As I also said, 'it takes ten minutes to drain the coolant on this bike', a good flush doesn't take much longer and of corse it needs to be compatible with aluminium, but I think most are these days?

When it comes to topping up, I'd use distilled water(unless you know what's in there already) and then investigate why it needs to be topped up in the first place as it may indicate a more serious problem, like leaks or weak hoses and constant topping up will weaken the mixture.

Old 12-02-2010, 01:44 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

AMSOIL makes a biodegradable antifreeze that they say can be mixed. The sealant is the only turn off to me. Not needed so why introduce it to the system.

Check it out---> LINK

It almost sounds like it would make a good mixer in a pinch.