F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Coolant leak and fork seals.. yay.

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 08:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Coolant leak and fork seals.. yay.

So I noticed that my bike is leaking a little coolant I can't tell from where exactly, I'm not at home right now and don't have the tools to remove the fairings and check. Where could it be leaking coolant from? Is it most likely a hose that needs replacing or could it be more serious?

Also, I noticed that my front right fork is leaking at the seal. I'm not quite sure how severe it is. I wiped it off this morning and will check it later today to see how much has leaked out again. Is replacing a fork seal a fairly easy thing to do or does it require stripping down and rebuilding the forks? Is it something I'd be better off paying a shop to do?

I would say my mechanical aptitude is pretty high but I haven't ever dealt with forks before and am new to f4i's so it's all a little intimidating right now. I don't have a stand for the bike if I need to remove forks etc. I also need to replace my CCTL and have read up on that and am not looking forward to it. Might as well do plugs as well if I'm going to pull the airbox and tank off for the CCTL. I'm just wondering if maybe I should get a quote for all or some of the tougher work.. hmm. As usual, opinions and advice are really appreciated.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:37 PM

I was just quoted $445 for CCT replacement and right fork seal replacement from Lee's Cycles. I trust those guys 100% but man that's a lot of money.

I wish I could do this work myself but I'm just not comfortable with taking the forks apart and the CCTL seems like it's a total pain.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:43 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

If you're not going to do the work yourself, then you have no choice but to pay someone to do it.

What was the coolant leak?

Last edited by 74demon; 07-25-2013 at 02:52 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM

Originally Posted by 74demon
If you're not going to do the work yourself, then you have no choice but to pay someone to do it.

What was the coolant leak?
You sure enough tell the truth about that! I don't have a problem paying for maintenance. It's just a lot more expensive than what I can afford right now.

The coolant leak, I have absolutely no idea. I pulled the fairing and looked but couldn't find the origin. It appears to be just dripping very slowly out of the coolant drain hose (I might have just made that term up but I assume that's what one of the three hoses hanging down under the bike is).

Old 07-25-2013, 04:13 PM
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts

Probably a hose attached to the thermostat. I had one randomly leak once then seal itself up before I had even noticed the leak, just saw lots of coolant residue dried everywhere. As for the CCTL, its really not that difficult.

Old 07-25-2013, 04:37 PM

Originally Posted by boredandstroked
Probably a hose attached to the thermostat. I had one randomly leak once then seal itself up before I had even noticed the leak, just saw lots of coolant residue dried everywhere. As for the CCTL, its really not that difficult.
I hope it goes away like that on mine, too. I wiped everything off this morning while I was searching for the source of the leak and since then everything has remained dry.. weird. I'm sure it'll be back to haunt me.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:38 AM

CCT is fairly easy once you get to it. Take off right fairing, gas tank and then pop the throttle bodies up and your right at it. Once you get to it there's only about 5 mins time to take it off and put a new one on.

If you replace it with the Manual one it takes another 5-10 mins to get it adjusted properly.

$445 is a lot but at least you will know it is done right.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:54 AM

Agreed on knowing it's done right. The Problem with doing it myself is I don't have garage space right now and I'd hate to get stuck with the bike apart and have to cover and leave it or something like that. Disassembly is the easy part, right? I was actually quoted $160 for labor at the shop for CCT, I already have an OEM CCT so I may just get them to do it.

Just to clarify, I've seen people mention CCT and CCTL. Do I have the terms confused? Am I actually talking about replacing the CCTL?

Old 07-28-2013, 12:28 AM

I replaced my CCT without taking the Throttle Bodies off. I put the APE cct on and no rattles. For fork seals you're better off than what I had to deal with. I had fork tubes that ripped through my seals so I replaced them twice with new tubes.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:36 PM

Damn. That sounds like it was a hassle. The forks not the CCT. I hope I don't have to deal with anything like that.

Quick Reply: Coolant leak and fork seals.. yay.