CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Question-Coolant and Fork Oil for CBR1000F

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2010, 09:20 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question-Coolant and Fork Oil for CBR1000F

Gday ppl,
I'm a total newb, two questions.. Coolant and Fork Oil for CBR1000F 1994 model.

Red or green coolant... type A or type B? I have no idea what is what.

Fork oil.. which grade? Synthetic, semi synthetic or mineral based?

Thanks!

Old 11-26-2010, 10:04 PM

I use the Prestone 50/50 green mix from walmart.

As for the fork oil, that depends on how much you weigh and how soft or stiff you want the suspension to be

Old 11-26-2010, 10:14 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As far as I'm concerned, red green........it's just a colour does the same job and is better than nothing! It takes 10 mins to drain the coolant from these bikes.

From memory fork oil is standard 10W or the Haynes manual specifies transmission oil , though off hand I can't remember if it's synthetic or not.

Depends on how firm you want the front end, you can go with a heavier fork oil if you want.

Do a search, there are threads on here about this. Someone even suggests lengthening the front fork spring spacer to firm up the front.

I've just fitted the Hagon springs, these dispense with the spacer altogether and are supposed to be a big improvement, though as it's winter here and I've not had a chance to test them ( -2C salty roads).

I'm sure there'll be plenty to offer advice on here

Old 11-27-2010, 06:09 AM
Default ...

I way 82kg... also I'm from Australia.. no evil Walmart here so not familiar with that brand coolant! What is 50/50 about it?

We do have kmart.. and autocheap. I don't have the haynes manual handy :|

Thanks for replies!

Old 11-27-2010, 07:07 AM

50% antifreeze/50% distilled water. Look to see what color antifreeze you have now and use the same. Do not mix two different colors, very bad! Go with the same as is in there now........ Oh, and they sell the 50/50 already mixed and ready to use.........

Old 11-27-2010, 08:39 AM
Senior Member & 2010 ROTY
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Color???? Please do not go by the color of the antifreeze. I have seen purple, red, green, orange. blue. I am sure there is others. Please to not go by color. Sorry for stepping on toes above. I am using Engine Ice for the antifreeze. You need to get an antifreeze that is made for aluminum engines... Just my

I also have the spacers in the forks.

Old 11-27-2010, 08:42 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Phantasm
I way 82kg... also I'm from Australia.. no evil Walmart here so not familiar with that brand coolant! What is 50/50 about it?

We do have kmart.. and autocheap. I don't have the haynes manual handy :|

Thanks for replies!
Walmart sucks....LOL

As Phantasm mentioned, the coolant at the auto stores usually need to be mixed. The best mix is 50/50 for all around use and rating to about -34F (-36C). K-mart here ususlly carries Prestone (green). I have only seen the red coolant in Ford products. You do need coolant as it is also an anti corrosion agent, so the more the better to a certain point (50/50%).

Here is the Prestone chart ---> LINK

I have used transmission oil in forks in the past but the best is motorcycle fork oil designed with low stiction.

If you go back to the main Hurricane forum section and go to the sub-forums above this thread section, go to shop manual section and get all the manuals.

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 11-27-2010 at 08:44 AM.
Old 11-27-2010, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by Indiana Hurricane
Color???? Please do not go by the color of the antifreeze. I have seen purple, red, green, orange. blue. I am sure there is others. Please to not go by color. Sorry for stepping on toes above. I am using Engine Ice for the antifreeze. You need to get an antifreeze that is made for aluminum engines.
My thoughts exactly.

Old 11-28-2010, 02:43 AM
Banned

I run Mobil 1:1 mix in both of my bikes and don't have any troubles ( touch wood ). I find both my BB and the 1000F generally run hot anyway. As soon as the wind flow stops they get hot. Just the nature of the beast. Cheers.

Old 11-30-2010, 03:50 AM

Originally Posted by hawkwind
As far as I'm concerned, red green........it's just a colour does the same job and is better than nothing! It takes 10 mins to drain the coolant from these bikes.
Be careful - Not true any more !

Many of the RED anti freeze products today are OAT ( Organic Acid Technology ) - they can not be mixed with the older type glycol based anti freeze.

The result of mixing the two is a horrid mayo like mush making you think the head gasket has gone.

The cure is a very thorough cleaning of the coolant system and re-fill with the correct anti freeze.

Quick Reply: Question-Coolant and Fork Oil for CBR1000F