CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Possibly buying a 95 model

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2006, 01:39 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Possibly buying a 95 model

Hi everyone,

I'm new to the CBR's but have been riding for about the last 8 years. I sold my last bike about 4 months ago and have been looking for a replacement for a few weeks. This one caught my eye, first because it's in my price bracket and second, because it will match my leathers.

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI....MEWA%3AIT&rd=1

I'm going to have a look at this bike on the weekend, can anyone give me advice on what is most important to look for?

Is black and yellow a standard paint scheme?

It's at the top of my price bracket but I think it would be well worth it.

Thanks,

Triangle (aka Len)

Old 04-27-2006, 02:39 AM
Default RE: Possibly buying a 95 model

Price is Good, K's are normal, sounds like a good deal
Prices of these bike are normally about $4.5 -> $6.5k AUD (bikes alot cheaper in the US)

I think the yellow is a Honda scheme, but I think the seat and rims are mods

Old 04-27-2006, 01:34 PM
jim

Hi Triangle

Yeah wicked bike the yellow paint scheme is not an official Honda paint job for 05 but it still looks very good.

Things to look out for are:

Seized Rear shock.
Cam chain keeps rattling 5 minutes after starting up.
Blue Smoke
Corroded exhaust (particularly around the centre collection box)
Stiff or missing Centre stand
Are the foot peg Hero blobs ground down ?
Around 35'0000 miles
Fully extended/adjusted chain.
Bald tyres

As a rule the CBR1000F is bullet proof but sometimes you might encounter a miss-used machine, but I guess that is true for any bike, as for most Honda's the gearbox is a bit clunky so when you change gear don’t be shy or practise how to double "D" the clutch, I use my bike daily and ride it hard, the missus says it is very comfy and its pretty good on fues so long as I dont caine it every where what is not easy to resist with somthing that just keeps going and going and going.... untill I run out of road.

The CBR100F have allegedly 135BHP when they rolled off the production line and the BHP can be easily increased with a simple new K&N air filter and de-restricting the exhaust and re-jetting, another cheap and simple mod that works really well on this beast is to drop one tooth on the front sprocket what will give you apparently joint dislocating acceleration but brings the top speed down to 155MPH, since the speed limit is 70MPH in the UK that’s no biggie for me personally.

I have noticed most people change the exhaust for a single pipe conversion as it is lighter and lets the engine breath more easily and there was a guy on here a couple of days ago advising that 60lbs can be saved by swapping over to lighter wheels, you can even change the already good dual braking system into a independent affair what is something I am thinking of doing this weekend.

Generally a great bike whether you leave is standard or modify it to your exact specifications, I was talking to a guy on here the other day and we were working out if you could bolt on a turbo and smoke a GSX1300R, it turns out you can

Hope it helps

Circle

Old 04-27-2006, 07:34 PM

I disagree that the colours aren’t standard (except for the rims and seat)

Here is a simular bike for sale off www.bikepoint.com.au
Type Road
Make HONDA
Model CBR1000F
Year 1995
Capacity (cc) 1000
kms 77,000
Price $5,990

[IMG]local://upfiles/2378/93AB88B81D6F431B8D6BE1F9FDDFB50E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-28-2006, 04:31 AM

Thanks for the quick replies.

I'm really looking forward to making the big decision on Sunday!

Old 04-28-2006, 05:38 AM

I agree with MarkR i've seen that colour scheme a few times the rims and seat are not standard colours though!

Old 04-28-2006, 06:18 AM

If I remember right, the Haynes UK manual for the CBR600F & 1000F fours has a picture of a cbr1000f in the black and yellow colour scheme on the front cover. The seat and wheels should be black as standard tho. So I agree with the others here that the plastics all look standard but the seat and rims have been modified. Have to admit that I kinda like it tho!

Hope she'll be a good one for you if you buy it, I certainly have never regretted purchasing mine )

Regards,

Kev.

Old 04-28-2006, 10:35 AM

ORIGINAL: morpheous283

If I remember right, the Haynes UK manual for the CBR600F & 1000F fours has a picture of a cbr1000f in the black and yellow colour scheme on the front cover.
Yep sure has and its sitting about 12 inches away Doh!!!

Old 04-30-2006, 06:21 AM

At the last minute (lunch time yesterday) I grabbed a return trip to Brisbane for $178 and went with my brother to look at the bike. It's essesntially stock (2 extra teeth on the rear sprocket to make it more toury... took it for a test ride after letting it warm up and hearing the timing chain die down after what must have been close on 10 minutes... like you guys said, the gear changes were a bit clunky but everything felt right and there were no leaks or severely faded parts. When we took of the side fairings looking for the engine number i didn't see anything that looked damaged so that's always a plus. Got up to 180 without even trying and all felt solid.

He's doing the roadworthy and paying for any req's that brings up and I'm paying to change the rego and stamp duty, doing the revs check and anything else anyone can point me to. Other than that, I give hime what left of the $4,500 after the already paid deposit and I've got myself a real nice Black and yellow 1995 Honda CBR 1000F! There was a '99 Hyabusa in the garage next to it which was his reason for selling the bike he'd had since 36,000km. Also the bike rego is to feb '07 so that saves that expense for a while.

Both tyres are in good nick but the rear is very soft and will only last around 3,000 apparently... I'm thinking bridgestone battleaxe for the next one cause from my experience, they last a good long time! (in comparison)

Anyways, I guess that makes this the first of many threads I'll be part of here!

Cheers guys and thanks for the advice so far and to come.

One thing he said that I thought was interesting is that the 4 into 1 pipe can scrape whaen up get deep into cornering? I like the twin setup so I'm not gonna change it, just thought it was interesting.

Old 05-01-2006, 02:34 AM

The twin looks OK, but I think you are going to find some guy's that are going to tell you to keep the 4 into 1, lighter and better performance