CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New project Honda CBX 6

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2011, 08:37 PM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New project Honda CBX 6

Hey:

My next Project, a 1980 CBX, it has been my Musclebike Toy, My Dragbike and My recent Ratbike. It has been touring to most of Europe, two up from London to The IOM TT, done the John O'Groats to Lands End to Dover route.
I have Owned it since new. Watched it get started at a Marysville,Ohio Tour, and set it up when delivered to our dealership. It has 155,000 miles on it so it is due its 4th big makeover.
It has had it share of fun but I was starting to let it go, and could not do this to this bike, so it is time for its 4th makeover. I have had 6 of these over the years and still have a few, so have a few goodies saved for this build, Notice old 1988 CBR 1000F Front Forks found a good home on this X. They have a Race Tech/Gold Valve setup that works very well on this bike and will probally stay but getting a plan together now, so open to any suggestions. So fire away.

I will be going with a new Black Paint job and going back to the 6/6 pipe setup with K&N Pods. It has a Falicon Billet Supercrank and Knife Edge Rods, OMT cams, ported head and 2 sets of CB1100f carbs(only six used) in it now. It dynos 139 hp to the rear wheel without the NX kit, with it add 50 hp. I will keep the same type of wheels (6 spoke Honda/Enkei wheels) maybe change colours or sizes. The Davida Swingarm and CBR rear brake will stay as I am plenty happy how they work.

So thats it for now and we shall see how this turns out without spending too much cash on it, like I did on my RC-51. So go easy on me no Twin turbos or superchargers just yet. I want to drive this bike everyday at least 100 miles back and forth to work with comfort and with excellent reliability. Something it has been able to do, but was looking pretty ratty lately, so it needs another update to keep it going.

Dub

Attached Thumbnails New project Honda CBX 6-my-80-cbx-project-jun-2011.jpg  

Last edited by CBR1988; 06-23-2011 at 05:09 PM.
Old 06-21-2011, 09:16 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good history and well worth the effort to re-birth it again.

I'd go with the black and polished look. Flat black crankcase, cylinders and head and the middle of the carbies. Polished cam cover, clutch cover and top and bottom of carbies. Chrome swingarm and gloss black wheels. Gloss black frame, tank, sides and back.

I did this to a Z650 once and it looked fantastic. It cost bugger all because I made a polisher and did all the paintwork myself. On the tank badge I painted the letters red just to add a touch of colour.

Dont know what I'd do with the crash bars though. I know you really need them with a crank that long.

Just my 2 cents mate. Go with what you see in your head and have fun!

Old 06-21-2011, 09:26 PM

Hey:

Funny Dave that was some of the things I was considering and leaning towards. I have a Chrome valve cover and Carb tops and bottoms from My 79 and think they will fit the bigger 1100F carbs, I'll try and see how it looks. I also have some Gold Anodized bits I may try but don't know if I want to use them yet. I have a big polisher and not afraid to use it.
But I will put that off right now, as we got some pretty humid 100 degree F (40.C) days right now and for the next couple, and thats some pretty good labor in the heat, even for an Old Desert Soldier.
Thanks for the suggestions, sounds like that Z650 bike was the BIZ, got any Pics.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 06-21-2011 at 09:39 PM.
Old 06-22-2011, 12:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No mate, my photos are in England at my folks place. Been there since '88. My Dad left them in the loft and told me a few years ago that a lot were damaged. Never mind.

It had pods, a Harris 4 into 1, deep braced Metmachex (dodgy spelling) swing arm, Koni shocks and some porting work. It handled a treat and flew too!

I made a bench mounted buffer and used those weird, waxy buffing blocks on it. I could see my face in the casings...not a good thing really but they put out sooo much rock salt in Winter in the uk that is was regularly furry.

I'd go easy on the gold anodised bits. Also, I assume the 6 into 6 (what a sound!!) would be chrome so the swing arm might be better black. Too much bling is a bit wrong looking imo.

Keep us posted when you decide to knuckle down to it. Great bikes! I think Honda did it just because they could.

Old 06-22-2011, 02:43 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The CBX is my all time favourite bike !
The guy I bought my 1000F from (Shaun) had two of them, one fully customised with a Ducati tail and front fairing, and the other totally standard. He said he'd rebuilt 17 engines, and looking at his workshop I believe him. We are friends to this day, a real gentleman.
I recently did a makeover on a Z1300 Kwakker, which I was going to keep, also all black with polished clutch casing and other bits, but it just doesn't have the mystique of the CBX. It's also top heavy and a pig to move around. Sold it and am looking for a CBX to keep and return to original, with my buddy Shaun's help.

Here's another local one next to my bike. Owned by Joe, a riding buddy.
Good luck with the project !

Attached Thumbnails New project Honda CBX 6-cbx.jpg  
Old 06-22-2011, 03:53 AM
Crazy CBR Salvage Guy. RIP

Originally Posted by CBR1988
Hey:

My next Project, a 1980 CBX
Dub
O for awesome. (Youtube it, it's a kiwi thing)

Old 06-23-2011, 04:37 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
The CBX is my all time favourite bike !
I am looking for a CBX to keep and return to original, with my buddy Shaun's help. Good luck with the project !
Hey:

I do not think I could ever have a stock CBX again, The rear shocks sux, the forks are way to small (great for drag racing only) and the brake and wheels are are not up to the job this day and age, but with those changes these become great modern bikes and still can hold their own against Suzi Bandits & other modern Musclebike plus you have the WOW engine factor on top of it. Its a shame Honda did not do the Prolink as a hot musclebike and turned up the engine as it had real possibilies back then, (and still does). Good luck on yer search for one, and hope you find a good one.

Dub

Last edited by CBR1988; 06-23-2011 at 05:16 AM.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:42 AM

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm CBX six cylinder bikes mmmmmmmmmmmm great!

What about doing a Martin CBX Special? something a bit different from the norm.

Old 06-23-2011, 07:14 AM

Hey:

I have a Mocheck Martin LeMax chassis kit for My 79 CBX, That will be another Project after this is done. The Frame was damaged in shipping from The UK to The States, (BIG Bend on the top frame rail), so it was put in stowage in NY at my Parents house till I could get it repaired. At the time I could not talk Monsieur Georges Martin into repairing it as he was busy building kit car chassis among other things. Also the fairing windscreen was cracked, so I kinda lost interest in it back then, after getting a near new, used CBR 900 RR fireblade, already having the Hurricane and I got very busy @ work.
My 80 CBX was made into a drag bike with fiberglass bodywork. And it was flogged every weekend I could get to the strip. This and later needing it as a way to get to work every day contributed to its run down looking condition greatly. Tires, chains, brakes, shims, oil and filters was all that was done for about 2 yrs and racked up another 60,000 miles on it, on an over 10 year old bike with already 50,000 on it. This bike has never let me down, The CBX and the CB DOHC series Hondas are very good all rounder bikes and very underated for all they can do and do well.

So stay tuned later for the Martin Build. This is the 79 now.

Dub

Attached Thumbnails New project Honda CBX 6-my-slvr-79-cbx-dg-6-1-80-whls..jpg  

Last edited by CBR1988; 06-23-2011 at 01:29 PM.