CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

New to forum and CBR ownership with chainrattle?

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2006, 07:27 PM
October 2009 ROTM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default New to forum and CBR ownership with chainrattle?

Hi

I wen´t and bought my dreambike 2 week´s ago, a CBR 1000F -97 with 21000 miles on it, paid 4487 dollars for the bike including a new set of drivechain and sprockets, Krauser trunks and higher windshield. Normally this bike would be priced at least 1200 dollars more here in Sweden.
Check out the picture, at least I think it´s pretty mint. As you can see in the picture there is still alot of snow here, i´m getting insane waiting for icefree roads!
Found this forum a week ago, I think it´s awesome!

One thing thou, that damn cam chain tensioner is driving me mad. How is that rattle supposed to sound like, how high (do you have to put your ear wery close to here it or what) and how urgent is it to replace the tensioner. I am going to a Honda dealer at the end of april on one of those Season Start Open House, and will ask them to listen to the engine. It´s a 110 mile drive, is it safe to do the trip, I am a slow driver and it will be my first real ride on the bike so I won´t be revving it to high. If they think there is a rattle, can i I wait to replace the tensioner until the bike is due for regular service (1500 miles?), since they will be checking valve clearance maybe it´s a good idea to do the tensioner at the same time...

[IMG]local://upfiles/6357/042ECF04DC384EF384948DC61607173A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 04-12-2006, 09:53 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: New to forum and CBR ownership with chainrattle?

We should make this reply a sticky.

Heres how it goes.

The CBR1000's Cam Chain Tencsioner works 2 ways. spring tension and Hydralic Piston driven by Oil Pressure. The spring holds the chain at the correct tension. The Hydralic piston prevents sudden movements of the chain (ie suddenly backing off the throttle) and also helps smooth the spring operation. But as it is driven by oil pressure it takes few few mins get up too temperature & pressure. So it is quite normal for it to sound like a typrewrite for the 1st few mins.

It is only cause for concern if the noise doesnt go away.

Old 04-12-2006, 11:26 AM

Nice bike and one more Swede in this forum, welcome ! My CBR 1000 F -92 sounds like an old Halda typewriter sometimes when I start it, but not always and not if I start in on fast idle/choke. However, the clicking sound always stops within a minute or two. After a hard drive I can hear the valve lash when the bike is really warm. I beleive this is quite normal since the valve lash goes up with temperature on alumin engines. Valve lash has also been checked OK on cold engine.

Old 04-12-2006, 07:38 PM
October 2009 ROTM

Hey!

I totally understand that most of you guys are getting tired of reading questions about CCM, I think it´s a good idea making the subjuct a sticky, Trips.
I called the Honda-dealer I was referring to in previos message today to hear their thoughts on my CCM. In order for me to here any rattle I have to put my ear close to the engine and as far as I can tell during warmup. The Mecanic told me that unless I had very bad hearing I should be able to hear the rattle while in riding position. I had an CBX 600 E (650 in most markets exept Sweden due to insurance rules), and that bike had a very smooth engine
with hydraulic valve lifters and ran extremly vibration free, so I guess I´m not used to engine noise
Hey R1000, thank´s for the compliment and the welcome! Where do you live? I´m from Mora, the motorcycle capitol of Sweden (The Swedish Motorcyclist Association resides here, and of course the motorcycle club I´m a member of and chief editor of info magazin Wingen, called Red Wings, Mora Motorcycleclub)

Where the heck is the spring? I´m dying here!

Old 04-13-2006, 04:20 AM

ORIGINAL: mikekop

.....Where do you live? I´m from Mora, the motorcycle capitol of Sweden (The Swedish Motorcyclist Association resides here, and of course the motorcycle club I´m a member of and chief editor of info magazin Wingen, called Red Wings, Mora Motorcycleclub)

Where the heck is the spring? I´m dying here!
I'm in the capitol area (Stockholm) using the bike almost every day now since the first of April. I know it could be chilly around Siljan where you are. I took a tour up there i September last year, and had to stop and by a local newspaper to put inside the ventilated leather gear to stay warm, I was not prepared to meet cold weather that day.

The colour and graphic on you bike is really nice and from your description there is no need to worry for the CCT at this moment.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:36 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Welcome Mikecop

I really like that graphics on that colour CBR, I think that was the best looking ever on the newer body bikes.

good luck on your new purchase and sounds like your cc problem is normal during warm up.

How many km's on the bike? 40,000+ just pay attention to the noise and monitor to make sure it goes away after warm up.

Old 04-14-2006, 06:54 AM
Senior Member & Lord of the Odometer (300,000 Mles) & Counting

Hey:

Did you Swedish guys ever drive your bike on the Oresund bridge tunnel to Denmark, I drove it in a car was not cheap $70.00 USD R/T
but was kinda windy just wondering what its like on a bike?

Old 04-14-2006, 07:47 AM
October 2009 ROTM

Hi CBR1988

Thanks for the nice comments on the bike! I like it too... I´ve seen a couple of ads on bikes like mine before, and was just drewling over it, but thinking way over my head (read wallet). Then it turned up in the magazin "Mc-Folket", published by the Swedish MotorCyclists Association (SMC) at a "offer you can´t refuse" price! It has got 33800 km on the teller.

As for the Oresund Bridge, I have never ridden on it, but I checked the prices and it´s not cheap for bikes either, almost 43 USD back and forth.
I do belive they are very strickt conserning the winds, not allowing motorcycles to pass during heavy winds.