CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Long trip planning...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2020, 01:43 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Long trip planning...

In March I'm trying to schedule training for work in Atlanta, GA. Since I can go POV and get reimbursed (coming from Jax, FL) I'm contemplating taking the CBR. I've completed almost all of the regular maintenance needed (last items will be valve adj. and carb sync) and since mine is a '96, I'm not experiencing any cam noises or anything else rattling.

I'm trying to think of what I may need to bring "just in case" something else goes south, like a voltage regulator. I need to get familiar with how to change them; I'm at 38k mi. and she runs great, just don't want to be stranded by something small like that on a 5 hour trip.

Thoughts and suggestions?

Eric

Old 01-13-2020, 06:33 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

If you think that it could fail while you're on the road, then why not change it before you leave?
Have you done long trips before and know what to expect? 5 hours isn't really that far if you know what to expect. Fatigue is a concern...

Another concern I would have is where to safely park it.so it doesn't get stolen.

Old 01-14-2020, 09:24 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

That's just a day ride (1/2 day). Because you will be away from home I'd bring a tire plug kit. Advance auto or any other parts store has them.
Rain gear is a must.

Back in 1980, I was coming out of Daytona on my 1979 CB750F. I took a left onto I10 in Jacksonville, then headed north on I75 to Atlanta. I rode through 3 tropical storms on my way heading back to Albany, NY, stopping in Atlantic City, NJ just to look around. Not long after crossing into GA, I encountered red clay on the road. Apparently, trucks hauling red clay form an area off to my left had contaminated the road with the red slick dirt. That red wet clay got baked onto the front of my engine and was there 17 years later when I sold the bike. That has nothing to do with your ride, however, that section of highway brings back memories. I can still see those orange stains on the front of that new bike. I should have painted the head when I pulled the engine. I cooked #2 EXT valve on that return trip. Running along at 100+ in the middle of the night on I95 had taken its toll on a new engine that should have had its valves checked before the trip. Oh, to be young again, to be young again!

Old 01-14-2020, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator
Received 315 Likes on 259 Posts

Can confirm what TimBucTwo said. I live about 1.5 hours due west of ATL. In March you are going to see rain.

Old 01-15-2020, 04:57 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I would remove current regulator and check that plug isn't burned- I checked mine last week before my 1400km trip. I would also check the plug on the starter relay- they burn too. If you have access to a multimeter check that the charging voltage is correct. Apart from my horrendous camchain rattle, alternator damper starting to fail and broken handlebar weight my bike went well.... Nice bike to tour on, My bike has been off the road for nearly a decade and I registered it a couple of weeks ago- still have to iron the bugs out of it. Burned plug pics are of my previous CBR. My current CBR burned starter relay plug and so did my wreck- can buy plugs off Ebay. Voltage regulator plugs are unique and unavailable anywhere including Honda- on my other CBR I used female spade terminals to repair- just have to maintain correct orientation

Old 01-16-2020, 03:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the suggestions, and the great story, TimBucTwo. I got some more info from work and I'll either have to rent a car or fly, that is up in the air. I need to check my regulator wiring, and eventually want to order a spare just to keep with me as I read online of them going out occasionally.

Other than that, I know how to prepare. I rode my 1982 CB900 Custom from Jax to Minneapolis back in 1996, it was a great trip. My seat sucked so my butt was in agony but totally worth it. The day that I left my fuel filter melted shut - no clue why. Might have been bad gas as I just filled up; mechanics said that the gas I put in it looked like Coke (had put Amoco Premium in it at the time). That was my only problem the entire trip.

Cheers,

Raz

Old 01-17-2020, 08:16 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Razman
I rode my 1982 CB900 Custom from Jax to Minneapolis back in 1996,
So, you know the drill, rain gear and a fresh pair of BVD's, that's all I had.
I could have done better with the rain gear. I bought a set of cheap rain gear from the local Army-Navy store. The fly was open so I wore the bottoms backwards and sat on the fly. lol

I'd ride to jobs but my company says no. With a rental car, they can swap them out roadside with little to no job time loss. Its about the $$$.