Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your CBR, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Portland Oregon to South Beach Florida

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2009, 04:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Portland Oregon to South Beach Florida

Hey, my buddies and I are planning to make a road trip down to South Beach Florida to go party on my friends uncles yacht this summer. Were planning it to be about a 1 month long trip. Try to make it down there in a week, stay a week or so and then head back up. I'm gonna be doing this on a CBR 600RR.

We will most likely be going from Portland Oregon, to Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama, and then Florida. There will be anywhere from 1 to 4 other people riding with me. It will be a 3500 mile or so trip down their, and then probably more on the way back as we plan to do some sight seeing. We will try to do at least 500 miles per day heading down there so at the most it will take 7 days to get down there. I lived in Arizona for 13 years (Tucson, Sierra Vista, Huachuca City, Benson) and have been in Oregon the last 4 years and would like to drive through the good ol' AZ again. Most likely stop by the grand canyon on the way back. Never been there the whole 13 years I lived down there.

I just thought I'd post this up to see what ya'alls gotta say. Any recommendations, places to see, people to meet kind of stuff.

Old 12-26-2009, 12:38 PM

purchase a comfortable seat! replace your chain, sprockets and tire before you leave. Have a new tire waiting for you in FL. Should be a fun ride.

Old 12-26-2009, 02:36 PM

Oh yea, definitely gonna do full maintenance to the bike before we leave as well as change the fluids once we get to our destination in Florida. Also Im going to try to find the most comfortable seat possible. Any recommendations on seats. Anyone try any and really liked it?

Old 01-01-2010, 12:03 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Sounds like an adventure to be sure! I recommend getting the best gear possible. You'll thank yourself later. "500 miles per day" is very ambitious! Have you done these kind of miles b/f? If you haven't, you may want to rethink this. Those are very B-I-G numbers. After a day or two of 500-milers, you'll be beggin for a soft couch & a cold bottle of your favorite beverage. ;-) By the time you get to FL, you may not want to ride back. ;-)

All joking aside... It'll be a major chore doing 500 mi a day - every day - for 7 days. I can tell you that if you plan on 500 mi per day, you'll most likely feel pressured. Riding will be less enjoyable & more chore-ish. That constant pressure of having to get those mi under your belt ea day will b/c annoying & drainging on your mind. Its simply A L-O-T of miles!

Don't let me disuade you though, that's not my intention. I just want you to seriously consider the fatigue of riding 500 mi per day. If you could add more days to cover the mi, you'd be well advised. Too, diet & proper rest during a trip of this magnitude is extremely important. Don't skimp on food...keep hydrated...& get good sleep. Ok, 'nuff said about all of that. ;-)

Make good lists of your gear & supplies. Do test packing & loading/securing onto your bike. If possible, do a test-trip or two near your area. Don't take anything that you absolutely don't need...it'll weigh you down & irritate you getting to the stuff that you really do need.

Be sure to have your routes planned, have good maps & gps (if possible), & some form of emergency plan should your bike b/c unrideable (ie, AAA, etc).

Good luck.

Old 01-02-2010, 07:26 AM

500 miles a day will just be the goal. Dont really care if I dont make 500 miles a day or not, lol. We will just ride until we dont feel like riding anymore. We will most likely take a days rest after every third day unless we arnt sore enough yet . Plan our route so our relaxing days are somewhere exciting. Its gonna be around a month trip so we've got the time. Plans have changed and it might not happen this summer. Most likely wont happen this summer due to certain circumstances. I'm aiming for sometime next summer during spring break. That should be fun. Spring break in Florida on a yacht .

We do have other trips for this summer though. Mostly riding up and down the oregon coast.

Thanks for the reply.

Old 01-02-2010, 02:24 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good stuff. Say, you clould always sign up for "Iron Butt" when you do make the trip. Get a certificate & have some fun while doing it.

Old 03-29-2010, 12:20 PM

Sounds like an awesome trip! We did Seattle to Vegas about two years ago. Took us about two and a half days to get to vegas but man what a beautiful ride. Have a blast !!!

Cheers
Lex

Old 04-20-2010, 05:18 AM

Hey, hows it goin? When do yall plan on doing this trip? maybe I can hook up with yall. I will be leaving alaska the beggining of july where im taking a ferry down to washington, then from there im heading to Alabama. Message me, maybe i can work around yalls schedual to link up with yall

Old 04-20-2010, 05:23 AM

oops lol i didnt read everything before i posted, sorry. Have fun when yall do it.