South West AZ, TX, NM, OK

Arizona- South Mountain Trip

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2007, 01:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Arizona- South Mountain Trip

I have driven up south mountain a few times in a car and I think that would be a fun ride with the motorcycle. I would like to set up a trip for anyone in AZ. For those of you that don't know where south mountain is, it is the mountain that is south of phoenix with all of the red lighted towers. It is a nice drive with lots of twisties and a beautiful view at the top. Any thoughts???

Kyle

Old 03-16-2007, 05:26 PM
Default RE: Arizona- South Mountain Trip

I used to run on South Mountain a long time ago. It sounds like fun, but I don't recall the road being very long.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:18 PM

yeah That woukld be cool I am down to tear it up let me know when to meet up

Old 05-03-2007, 03:00 AM

I've done it on an R6 once.

At the top, I met a guy who was all gung ho about how he and his buddies' ride up it in the dark, at much higher speeds than I had just done. I asked him about the gravel in the road, and the guardrails that border on 500 foot drops, and he didn't seem worried about them, like it's business as usual for his crew.

Then I asked him all about the scars on his legs and arms, and yep; they were from wrecks he had been in on his bike.

So yeah, I dig South Mountain, but the two problems are 1) the conditions are kind of crap- like I said, gravel, blind turns, and certain death if you go over the guardrail. and 2) there's a lot of traffic during the day, so even if you're ripping into it, you're limited by vans full of picnicers, and soccer moms with their kids.

maybe I'm just too much of a n00b to appreciate it.

Old 08-26-2007, 07:12 PM

I am defiently down for a Smount trip. if your still interested.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:53 PM

sounds cool dont know were that really is but i live just east of mesa

Old 08-26-2007, 11:15 PM

its not very long though, depending on the traffic 5-10 minute ride to the top. still is fun but like he said above the road conditions arent the best

Old 08-27-2007, 12:23 AM

Where is South Mountain? I am looking for new places to ride. I ride Mount Lemon north of Tucson just about every weekend. With the exception of the pavement being quite good, it Lemon is kind of like ztemhead's description of Souith Mountain. Mount Lemon has several cliffs, and if you take your eyes off the road for just a split second, it can be like looking out the window of an aeroplane at times with the earth being far below. Frankly, it kind of freaks me out at times and keeps me from going as fast as I would like. That and the traffic is really starting to tick me off about Mount Lemon. I would be up for South Mountain, but it sounds like it would be like Mount Lemon, but with fewer curves and worse pavement.

So does anyone know of any really great twisties in AZ that are not carved out of cliff walls?

An I am planning to call you this Tuesday, Mikey. I am going to go in to work on Monday and get a no-**** head count for the ride to Hwy 191. Once I get that I will give you a call.

Old 08-27-2007, 12:27 AM

hwy 89a to prescott is pretty fun

Old 08-27-2007, 12:50 AM

cool sounds like a plan bailey maybe this site will help you
http://www.motorcycleroads.us/
talk to you tuesday

Quick Reply: Arizona- South Mountain Trip