CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Front fork seal replacement

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 05:33 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Front fork seal replacement

Ok, I know I am new here, so if there are already past threads regarding replacing the fork seals for a 1990 cbr1000f, then just post me a link, but I used the search function and only seen threads about the fork seals on different models.

Anyways, on to my question(s). Are they hard to replace? I have decent mechanical ability in my opinion. I work on cars and can do most anything on them that I need to, I have just never worked on motorcycles before now. What is the best manual to look at when doing a job like this? Is there any advice you can give to make this job easier, or special tools that would be a must besides your basic tools such as wrenches, sockets, pliers, etc? Any insight would be greatly appreciated, and like I said before, if I missed another post on this topic, I am sorry, but I tried searching for one.

Old 05-06-2009, 07:33 AM

A fork seal installer is needed (costs $$ though) so I use a 2" PVC pipe shrunk down using zip ties to the diameter of the fork tube

Old 05-06-2009, 08:30 AM

Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it. I will download that manual tonight when I get home from work and hopefully get going on the front for seals so I can get out and enjoy riding in this weather we are having here (sunny and almost 80 degrees for the most part).

Old 05-06-2009, 10:21 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I managed to do mine mate , so if I can you can . The hardest bit will be devising a fork seal driver 'cos they don't come cheap! Though it would still be cheaper than paying a workshop to do it!
Here's a link for a very good step by step video , it's for upside down forks but the principle is exactly the same , except these forks need a split fork seal driver whereas ours don't . Check it out it's worth the time:-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W2G-b66F3es

BTW I was just like you never worked on a bike but plenty of cars , just don't rush it and you'll be enjoying the great weather

Old 09-17-2009, 08:49 AM

Well, I am sorry to dig up a few month old thread, but I got really busy with life for a while, and the bike repairs had to go on the back-burner for a while. I think after watching the videos, I should be able to figure out everything, and get my bike back in working order and be ready to ride for next season for sure, hopefully a few times this year before the snow hits.

CBRClassic, I could not get the link to the manual you posted to open correctly. It keeps giving me an error message saying that the reader I have does not support the file type or something goofy. Is there an updated link or anything that you know of?

Edit: I found it in working order in one of the sticky threads. Sorry for the rusty forum skills, I have been away from everything for a while now..... bear with me.

From what I am reading, a piece of standard pvc pipe could be used in making a working seal driver. Anybody have any pictures of the tools they have made, that way I can get a general idea of what a finished tool should look like?

Again, thanks for all the help.

Last edited by Dirtyone55; 09-17-2009 at 08:54 AM.
Old 09-17-2009, 03:44 PM

Hi there Dirtyone55 , this is what I bought cheap off e-bay , but the plastic pipe with cable ties would work just as well and cost less

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Honda-fork-oil...d=p3286.c0.m14

You may be able to find something similar where you are.

Pay special attention to the condition of the chrome on your sliders , any rust where the seal travels and you'll get leaky seals again (I'm going to have to re-do mine)

I watched the vids a couple of times to get an idea and followed the Haynes manual on seal replacement . Use genuine Honda seals and watchout for rust and you'll be OK.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:06 PM

Ok, and when installing the new seals, will I have to hit the tool with a hammer, or should I be able to just push them in with manpower?

Also, what method did you use to get the front of the bike suspended off the ground to be able to get the forks off? I am just weary of jacking it up from underneath because of the exhaust pipes. Could I just jack it up and set it on some wood blocks to disperse some of the pressure, or should I chain the frame to an engine hoist and lift from above?

Sorry for so many questions, but I just want to make this process as painfree as possible.

Old 09-17-2009, 05:20 PM

I just use a block of wood under the sump , between the exhausts with the bike on it's centre stand . That way you don't have to bother taking too many of the plastics off . You could tied the frame to an overhead joist or something as extra insurance if you like , but I just used a jack .

Make sure everything is loosened up first so your not yanking on a wrench wobbling the bike around and it should be OK.

As for the seal driver , no hammer needed , just a firm hand to push it into place with maybe a bit of a sliding whack to seat it firmly in place . You don't want to be whacking the chrome tubes with a hammer by accident!