CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

engine flush

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2007, 03:03 AM
Very Honorable Most Senior Member :)
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: engine flush

In the past I have used diesel fuel to clean out an engine, but aquart of 10 weight oil was mixed in. The engine idled for about ten to fifteen minutes, the diesel & 10W was drained, filter changed, and new oil put in. Oil pressure increased to normal, and the engine ran fine for as long as I had the pickup. Obviously the previous owner(s) hadn't worried about changing oil and most likely the oil pump pickup screen wasclogged. It turned out to be an okay $75 dollar outfit. I did the same to a friends pickup - a tune up and general maintainence was part of a 'borrow my vehicle' agreement. The outfit had somewhere around 86,000 miles on it, and as far as I know had never had the oil changed.Brad (psuedonym) said he'd put a couple quarts in whenever it go low, sometime it took three or four to bring it up. From the looks of the outfit nothing else had ever been done to it either. That one got the diesel / light oiltreatment as well as plugs, wires, distributer cap, rotor, carb overhaul, timing, etc. Amazingly once all that was done the pickup ran quite well and made a 700 mile round trip taking a bunch of Boy Scouts to a summer camp. It used some oil on the trip, but not excessively so, and made no weird noises. Brad drove the pickup for a few more years before selling it withno trouble. And no maintainence either.

As for doing that to my CBR - I won't. That treatment is reserved for something like the two vehicles described above.

Old 03-24-2007, 09:52 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine flush

Diesel fuel used as engine flush is as I have found out is commonly used here in the UK as thereare no alternatives that are as effective to cleaning an alloy engine out. The properties in the fuel lube and cleanpumps on diesel vehicles, and unlike petrol it wont dry the engine out. Used with care this method will work and save time and money on trying to sort out cct rattles without resorting to breaking engines open.

At the end of the day, its all down to personal preferenceswhat works and what does'nt? Trail and error and asking questions is the way we resolve problems that our bikes encounter. Happy riding to all.