CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

engine flush

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: engine flush

I've used diesel FUEL as a flush sucessfully a few times AT IDLE ONLY FOR 10 MINS.
DO NOT USE DIESEL ENGINE OIL!!!
the diesel oil has a very high detergent level and will clean out EVERY bit of carbon and stuff in the engine. this means the bits behind the rings too. what happens particularly to worn engines is the carbon acts to keep the rings sealing (worn engines) and if you flush this out YOU WILL loose compression. Trust me as I have made the mistake some time ago on a car motor. Ran poor, no power and heavy smoke and oil consumption guaranteed.
If however you are going to rebuild a near worn out engine, try out the oil and see how much crud comes out! Be warned the motor may not run again untill you rebuild it!

Old 10-11-2006, 03:04 AM

Ran Diesel oil for about 20,000ks in total with no problem. But then again I knew the condition of the engine was good.

But yes with high mileage engines it is the carbon buildup that helps with the sealing and you will loose that. (But it will come back)

I have to admit I have never heard of using Diesel Fuel as an engine flush. But a bit of googling and it seems what they used to do in the old days!!! (The things ya learn) . I suppose it makes sense when you consider how oily and slipperly diesel is. What I don't undersatnd is why doesn't it explode as sure it must make it past the rings.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:58 AM

Trips- in reply to why it doesn't explode- Diesel fuel ignites only under compression and not ignition. If you hadn't mentioned the word diesel to start with I'd probably still be scratching my head now. 15 minutes seems to be about the norm to run it through the engine and although I'm only now getting to know my engine it now turns out that it seems to have been well looked after (not bad for a motor that has done nearly 70k Miles)

The one thing I can say now is I have no cam chain rattle or rattle from the rear of the engine, so the only thing I can conclude is that they had used the wrong oil or failed to service it regularly to cause the rattles I had previously.

In conclusion Trips- even though you didn't mean exactly what I did you still suggested diesel and for that I say thanks- it worked.....

[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 10-11-2006, 12:46 PM

ORIGINAL: collector

Sorry- language barrier heh?? I used diesel fuel-- from the pump at the garage. Hope that clears up the question.
That is what I was afraid people would try, and asked Trips for a clarification, which he thankfully did. With a good portion of luck, the treatment hasn't caused any major damage to the engine. Cleaning methods that might be appropriate on old lawnmower engines are not doing any good on a high compression and high performance engine like the CBR 1000 F has. Many engine parts are probably just as happy with diesel fuel under very light load, as with engine oil. I would however be surprised if the camshaft lobes haven’t aged a lot from the treatment. They have the same aggressive profile and the same spring pressure even if the engine is at low speed. You also have the piston bolts and the rod bearings, which get very high surface pressures any time the engine fires, at any rpm. So, my understanding is that running diesel gas in the engine oil system is a sure invitation to some engine damage. The safe method is to make a few extra oil changes to clean up the engine.

Old 10-11-2006, 06:25 PM

My understanding of diesel fuel is first and formost oil based, so to be an abrasive it must have petroleum properties which would dry engine components out. Dont get me wrong, I love a good debate, & if someone out there has good cause to be able to say that what I have done is wrong then I'm open to ideas, but when having made a thorough investigation before using diesel, & after checking the engine over, then I can say that this procedure does work. Baring in mind that with a little care the engine concerned has now lost the rattles that started me off on this problem solving and is showing no signs of laying down. I will however, keep all concerned posted of how it progresses...[sm=bounceybounce.gif]

Old 10-11-2006, 06:52 PM

ORIGINAL: collector

My understanding of diesel fuel is first and formost oil based, so to be an abrasive it must have petroleum properties which would dry engine components out. Dont get me wrong, I love a good debate, & if someone out there has good cause to be able to say that what I have done is wrong then I'm open to ideas, but when having made a thorough investigation before using diesel, & after checking the engine over, then I can say that this procedure does work. Baring in mind that with a little care the engine concerned has now lost the rattles that started me off on this problem solving and is showing no signs of laying down. I will however, keep all concerned posted of how it progresses...[sm=bounceybounce.gif]
Well, I might of course be wrong to believe the engine is likely to be damaged by using diesel gas for lubrication. Considering the engine was runned at the lowest possible load, and that expensive high pressure diesel pumps, with tight tolerances, are lubricated by the diesel fuel only during 100 000 of km’s , one could perhaps do as you did and get away with it without casing any damage. Interesting that the rattle disappeared, the treatment seems to have cleaned a clogged CCT.

Old 10-11-2006, 07:11 PM

The sludge that came out would have done as a prop for a horror movie, I think that the rattle was caused by the oil not getting round the engine as it should, so it looks as though the oil viens & cct were cleaned out, but I would not recommend reving the engine as this would lead to damage to machined parts caused by the heat generated. As a footnote, before starting this proceure, your engine needs to warrant it, so should you try this it may not cure your rattles, and if you have been servicing your bike on a regular basis then you dont need to go down this road.

Old 10-11-2006, 08:18 PM

In days past (the 70's) we used to add a can of ATF to the oil and let it run for a while prior to an oil change. ATF has wonderful cleaning properties....

Old 10-27-2006, 07:57 AM

ORIGINAL: Trips

THERE GOES YOUR ENGINE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Read the post. I said use Diesel Oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Run some Diesel in it for a 1000k's or so to give it a clean out.

But don't do it on high mileage motors.
I guess you mean some Diesel in the gas Trips (and not in the oil tray), right
No I mean use some Diesel oil instead of bike oil.
I used diesel oil and my clutch sliped at full noise back on bike oil its ok

Old 10-27-2006, 08:46 AM

Never had a problem with it and I am a big lad and this includes track days, top speed runs, drags etc.

Diesel oil does not contain addites that muake clutches slip like the friction modified car oils.

Some diesel oils do contain higher levels than others of ash. The best ones to go for are the ones the have both clasifications on the bottle I.E C*/S*. They have a lower amount of ash. The ones with a single classification ie just C* are usually for the sootier Diesel engines.

Quick Reply: engine flush