CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Diesel Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 11:19 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

the Mobil 1 here in the UK is around £40 GBP for 4 litres - Yes thats correct the arseholes want the best part of $70 USD
That is absolutely insane. I could almost ship it to you from here for cheaper!!! Let's see... our Mobil 1 is about $25US per gal (they used to have 5gt jugs for $19.99!). It would be about $72US to ship 17lbs weight to the UK... so me shipping 2gals would be $122US.
F'in crazy, Dean0!!
Do they give you a reach-around?? lol..

The Rotella at my Wally World is still about $10 per gal if you buy the 3gal case. (I was just there 2days ago)
It's $11.50 individually. However, all the other oil prices seem to have dropped off a bit. I know Castrol GTX that I run in my car/truck is $14.97 at Wally World right now (but it was on sale for $11 at advance and it came with a gay castrol hat so I bought 5gals.... anybody want a cheap castrol ball cap?? LOL...)

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 08-27-2009 at 11:22 AM.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default One more opinion

Just had to chime in to this thread. I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all, But for most of the last 20 years I was the manager of a small petroleum bulk plant. For those that don't know, that means I sold Gas, Diesel, heating oil, and industrial lubricants to commercial customers and retail as well. I only say that to establish that I do know a thing or two about the aforementioned application of multi-purpose heavy duty Motor oil. Can you use Diesel Engine Oil in a motorcycle? Absolutely!! And you SHOULD! Most of the reasons have already been noted by previous posters and they are quite correct. One reason that was not mentioned regarding the wet clutch thing is that many Heavy-Duty diesel powered pieces of equipment use a common reservoir for the engine oil, hydraulic system, Wet clutches, wet brakes and even the final drive! So the Oil is DESIGNED for that purpose! I have used Diesel Engine Oil (15w-40, or straight weights)in every piece of equipment I've owned for the last twenty years and can tell you you'll never find a cleaner engine if you ever have to tear one down. Having to deal with the soot from a diesel makes a gasoline engine a walk in the park for the oil.
One more thing before I put away my soapbox
Synthetic Oil. Had a couple fleet customers who were willing to spend the money to test whether or not the synthetic route was actually the way to go. Amsoil propaganda to the contrary, non of them decided it was worth the added expense and so didn't continue. Before I get anyone excited.... I do think that synthetic is a better Oil in every sense that matters! I have been an Amsoil dealer myself. It's only that there are few applications where it is actually cost effective. Some people simply have to have the best and that's fine (I run synthetic DEO in my 2002 Dodge) but a Good dino oil will do the job in most cases and at much lower cost.
Cheers!

Old 08-27-2009, 10:20 PM
Administrator - Retired

I hope I don't sound like a know-it-all
Not at all.

I'd like to add that I've found a lot of people who think synthetics are some magic chit that allows you to double your oil change interval without doing any damage. It's just not the case.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:53 PM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Rotella has been a good oil for years. Seems to have a bad reputation though ... must be cause it's inexpensive . Used it in cars for a long time and never an issue. Never tried it in a bike but I don't see why there'd be a problem.

What really makes me giggle is when people ask if it's dino oil or synthetic. Dudes, it's ALL pumped outta the ground from dead prehistoric beasts (or plant life). Difference is synthetic oil is zapped to eliminate any broken carbon chains. This keeps the oil from "burning" which reduces the acids that break down conventional oil. Great stuff ... and unlike Pete's rotella, it actually tastes like honey

Old 08-27-2009, 11:14 PM
Administrator - Retired

Rotella tastes more like Mrs. Butterworth's. That's why it's so popular on pancakes.

Old 08-28-2009, 01:21 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You're both "not well" :eek"
Due you know how SICK you can become from eating motor oil...............
Stick to syrup on your flapjacks.......................
D'you really want to eat the decayed remains of fossils that are a million years old ?

Old 08-28-2009, 02:13 AM
Admin Emeritus & MVN
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Shadow
D'you really want to eat the decayed remains of fossils that are a million years old ?
Is that a dig at my wife Sorry, couldn't resist ...

Old 08-28-2009, 10:01 AM
Administrator - Retired

Something tells me he can handle it...lol..

Old 08-28-2009, 10:28 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Would be interesting with a name like stretch though

Quick Reply: Diesel Oil