CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Diesel Oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 10:19 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hell yeah, hawkman, run that Rotella T!
Just change it like you should, and you'll be fine.

I know of a couple of people who have actually spoken to shell about using Rotella in bikes. Shell has actually sent letters to some, saying that it exceeds the JASO motorcycle standards and that they could label it as such if they chose to. When asked why they don't, they bacically said that truckers pay the bills, and that they don't want to jeopardize the market by labeling it for use in motorcycles.
It doesn't contain the anti-friction additives that aren't supposed to be used in bike specific oils.
Hell, I know a hardcore biker that not only uses it religiously in his bikes, but also eats it on his pancakes!

Old 06-16-2009, 03:31 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Shell's website:

http://www.shellusserver.com/qa/answ....php?rowid=169

Motorcycle gasoline engines may not seem in the same league as the big displacement diesel engine under your hood, but they share some of the same lubrication requirements. So yes, in many cases, a premium heavy-duty universal oil capable of serving both diesel and gasoline engines is the best choice for your bike.

The high power-to-displacement ratio of a motorcycle engine means rod and main bearings are subjected to loads that are not normally found in passenger car engines. The valve train is also highly loaded, and requires extreme pressure boundary lubrication. The same can be said about gears in the transmission, which are normally lubricated by engine oil. Oil additives containing phosphorus protect these highly loaded extreme pressure areas (in both gasoline and diesel engines). Because diesel engines have higher loading of components, more of the phosphorus-containing additive is present than in typical passenger car oils. And with advanced catalyst systems for gasoline engines, the phosphorus content has been declining in passenger car oils.

Since many bike engines are air-cooled, and tend to be operated at high power outputs and speeds, their lubricating oil needs to be more resistant to high temperature oxidation. That?s another advantage of a premium universal oil. Another thing you want in your motorcycle is oil that has excellent viscosity control, so that with use it retains high temperature viscosity. Some multiviscosity grade passenger car oils, subjected to extreme loads, can quickly thin out. Their viscosity can drop to the next lower grade.

One last thing to consider is whether oil contains friction modifier additives. For improved fuel economy, most passenger car oils have such an additive. But the wet clutch in your bike doesn?t perform right with friction modifiers. Universal engine oils don?t have friction modifiers.

Be careful choosing diesel oils. Not all of them are universal. In addition to the API Service Category CI-4 PLUS for diesels, look for API Service Category SL.

Premium universal oils like Shell ROTELLA? T Multigrade are formulated for heavy-duty performance, and your bike engine has some heavy-duty challenges for oil. For optimum performance, be sure your oil is up to the challenge.

Old 06-17-2009, 01:19 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good one cheat, nice and easy to understand and without the science B/S.
Welcome to the forum too.

Old 06-19-2009, 07:57 PM

As far as I know, you can use dielse engie oil in gasoline cars and they will run great, just don't do it the othe rway. Gasoline engine oil in a diesel will destroy it. Diesel oil can stand much higher pressures and are designed for very hard enviroments so it will do jsut ifne in a gasoline engine. I've ran dielse oil in numerous gasoine engines without any issues.

Old 07-27-2009, 05:46 AM

Originally Posted by Dean0
Just keep an eye on the clutch for slipping - diesel oils contain detergents and friction modifiers.

I know a couple of guys who ran car diesel oil in the bike and had clutch slip issues.
Sorry dude, but with the exception of one very new type of Diesel Oil they Do not contain Friction Modifiers. The detergents wont foul a clutch.

Been running diesel for 60,000k's

Old 07-27-2009, 08:47 AM
Administrator - Retired

Yep, Trips is right.
I've run Rotella in my KLR since day1, and in my CBR now, too.
It's recommended because it doesn't contain the friction modifiers.

Old 07-27-2009, 02:56 PM

There is nothing in Rotella-T (or Delvac) that will cause any clutch issues at all, and it is 100% premium, top-shelf oil in every way. Google around...you won't find a single person who actually knows anything about oil recommend against it. I have several hundred thousand miles on Rotella-T synthetic in street bikes, dirt bikes, and road racing bikes, and I've had my oil analyzed maybe 25 times or so, and in every case it was as good as even the very most expensive stuff (the highest price stuff I ever tried and had tested was Motul full synth. in a race motor).

Go in peace...there is no reason whatsoever to waste your money on motorcycle-specific oil for your CBR. You're giving up nothing, and in many cases gaining better protection, all for $17/gal (or even cheaper for the non-synth, and it's great too.

Here's a good oil primer to read...

http://motorcycleinfo.calsci.com/Oils1.html

Old 07-27-2009, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Trips
Sorry dude, but with the exception of one very new type of Diesel Oil they Do not contain Friction Modifiers. The detergents wont foul a clutch.

Been running diesel for 60,000k's

Technically speaking, all oil has friction modifiers. It's a question of _which_ friction modifiers are in there. Generally speaking, if it doesn't say "energy conserving" on the label, you're good.

But ya, it's great oil...all the stuff that makes it a premium oil in diesel engines also makes it great in bike engines.

Old 07-28-2009, 11:07 AM

Im running Rotella as well, except Im using the 5W 40 synthetic. It's $20 for a 4 quart bottle at Wally World. No problems.

I know a lot of guys on another bike forum im a member of really like Rotella.

Old 07-28-2009, 12:29 PM
Administrator - Retired

You're right, there are a whole lot of people running Rotella in their bikes.
BTW, I noticed last night at wally world that all the oil prices were discounted.
All except Rotella...lol..
I guess they figure it's cheap enough at $10/gal..

Quick Reply: Diesel Oil