CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Diesel Oil

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 07:44 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

after watching most of the oil threads on the forum and doing alot of research myself i switched to the rotella. i could only find it at an autoparts store as wally world was always out ,next to truckstop so go figure. The auto parts store charged 15$ a gallon. works just fine, no clutch slip mostly tire spin but then last week i was in the honda dealership and lo and behold the honda oil was there for 15$ a gallon. gonna switch back if the price is the same and see if i can tell the difference.

Old 08-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, the Rotella is good oil. Not that honda isn't.
My wally world always has it, and it's $10/gal. Also, the closest Honda dealer that carries their Honda oil is much farther away. I've never even tried the Honda stuff...

Old 08-26-2009, 01:53 AM

As I was reading DRam's post I bout fell out my chair from laughing. You guys crack me up with some of those answers on here. I myself haven't made the switch still using what the previous owner used Mobil 1 Racing4T Synthetic 4 cycle 10w-40 oil. Course that could change soon. The cost of it has gone up again. Almost $8 a quart. Geesh!

Old 08-26-2009, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by michealparks
Well I've gone and done it.

With a little angst, but lots of trust in you guys I made the switch. I changed her to Rotella-T 15W40 last night from Honda's oil, and running a K&N filter vs the factory Honda filter. After I changed her, I had to take her out on a romp. I wish I would have done this sooner! My clutch is responding so much better! Did anyone else experience this or maybe its in my head. I don't think its quieted my Cam Chain rattle much, but dang, I really think the clutch is really responding much better. I'll be doing that chain soon all my parts are on order. I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys on that one.

Thanks for the diesel push guys.
I'm glad you are happy with it, but I have to say that I've never been able to 'feel' any meaningful difference in any oil I've ever run. I remember 20+ years ago when I'd change the oil in my CB750 it shifted better with the fresh stuff, but that's about it.

There really isn't much reason that a motor will run more or less quietly, etc. with different brand oils (assuming all-else equal), but for sure, be confident that you're treating your motor right on the good juice!

Old 08-26-2009, 08:43 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The cost of it has gone up again. Almost $8 a quart. Geesh!
Same oil here is $15 US per litre - you think you're badly off !!!!!
Why do you think I researched the diesel oil - $20 US per 5 litres
Much better.........................

Old 08-26-2009, 07:14 PM

Wow! Now I don't feel so bad. Hi ya Pete how ya been? Yes those prices are a bit ludacris. Well I know if the price goes up anymore here in lousyana(lol!) I may do like the rest & try that rotella oil everyone seems 2b raving about. I look at it as long as the oil doesn't hurt the motor or clutches. Whatever is good enough for me as long as it is Synthetic oil for motorcycles.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:26 AM

Originally Posted by Shadow
The cost of it has gone up again. Almost $8 a quart. Geesh!
Same oil here is $15 US per litre - you think you're badly off !!!!!
Why do you think I researched the diesel oil - $20 US per 5 litres
Much better.........................

I wish !!! - the Mobil 1 here in the UK is around £40 GBP for 4 litres - Yes thats correct the arseholes want the best part of $70 USD for 4 litres of motorcycle oil - wtf !!!!!!!

Does anyone know what the Rotella is branded as in Europe because i cant seem to find it available anywhere.

Old 08-27-2009, 03:05 AM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Dean0 , I'm using Unipart semi-synthetic 10w-40 diesel oil and it seems pretty good . From my local motor factors it's about £15 for 5 liters , though like you I'd be interested to know the Rotella equivalent in the UK.

Old 08-27-2009, 10:52 AM

Looks like the Rotella went up a bit too. I bought a gallon just yesterday to change the oil before my 2 week East Coast tour (leaving on the 5th) and I paid $21 for the gallon. Still a great deal compared to "motorcycle" oils you find at bike shops, but not quite the megabargain it used to be.

Quick Reply: Diesel Oil