CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Diesel Oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-2009, 12:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting subject! here I can only find ROTELLA TX oil, wich is labeled for gasoline engines, but for diesel we have HELIX, RIMULA SUPER and RIMULA X.

I have to change the oil soon, so I'm willing to give it a try to the ROTELLA, but I'm not sure if the one I can find here is the same you guys are talking about?

Btw, I'm using Castrol GPS (15W50) and the clutch slips a little on very cold days, anyway.

Old 07-28-2009, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by kilgoretrout
You're right, there are a whole lot of people running Rotella in their bikes.
BTW, I noticed last night at wally world that all the oil prices were discounted.
All except Rotella...lol..
I guess they figure it's cheap enough at $10/gal..
Note that the $10 stuff, while way awesome oil in its own right and totally great for your bike, isn't the synthetic one. I only mention it in case that's what you're looking for.

Also, for the prev. poster, all Rotella-T synth. is 15W40...there isn't any 5W40 (sadly).

Old 07-28-2009, 02:51 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

great post thks ive been looking for something like this for a couple months after finding out bout rotella t. it will be in my next oil change

Old 07-28-2009, 03:50 PM

DietDrThunder,
There is Rotella synthetic 5w 40. I buy it at Wal Mart.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...ellasynth.html

Old 07-28-2009, 10:02 PM

OK guys. I'll be the dummy here. Is Rotella T dinosaur oil (regular) or Synthetic oil the product that is working well for all of you. Maybe both the synth and the dino are great products as long as you get the diesel rated stuff.

Sorry for the dumb question.

Steve-o

Old 07-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Administrator - Retired
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Rotella comes in a dinosaur form and a synthetic form. Basically, white jug is dino and blue jug is synth.
I run the dino stuff. It's good oil, and cheap.

BTW,
Also, for the prev. poster, all Rotella-T synth. is 15W40...there isn't any 5W40 (sadly).
Shell does make a 5W40 Rotella T Synth.
Here's a link.
*edit.. bicklebok posted the same link ^^

Also, dietDrThunder.... if you don't have it at your local wally world, I think they can order it for you and have it shipped to that store for free... Just fyi.

Last edited by kilgoretrout; 07-28-2009 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-29-2009, 10:16 AM

Originally Posted by Steve-o
OK guys. I'll be the dummy here. Is Rotella T dinosaur oil (regular) or Synthetic oil the product that is working well for all of you. Maybe both the synth and the dino are great products as long as you get the diesel rated stuff.

Sorry for the dumb question.

Steve-o
Not a dumb question at all...both the dino and the synth are excellent oils of the utmost quality, and either works great. Really, the dino stuff is probably the best oil value available. It's like $9/gallon, and it really can't be overstated how good it is. It tests better than some synthetics even.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:19 AM

Originally Posted by bicklebok
DietDrThunder,
There is Rotella synthetic 5w 40. I buy it at Wal Mart.

http://www.shell.com/home/Framework?...ellasynth.html
Hey, you guys are 100%...I don't know what I was thinking. Not sure how I had still 15W40 on the brain (I'm old , but I went out to the garage, and there are 3 gal. of 5W40 on my shelf

Sorry for the mistake.

Also, re: the previous question from Steve. If it's called 'Rotella' it's the 'diesel rated' stuff. That's the brand name for their diesel oils.

Old 08-23-2009, 03:46 PM
RIP "The Baron of Bronson"

Well I've gone and done it.

With a little angst, but lots of trust in you guys I made the switch. I changed her to Rotella-T 15W40 last night from Honda's oil, and running a K&N filter vs the factory Honda filter. After I changed her, I had to take her out on a romp. I wish I would have done this sooner! My clutch is responding so much better! Did anyone else experience this or maybe its in my head. I don't think its quieted my Cam Chain rattle much, but dang, I really think the clutch is really responding much better. I'll be doing that chain soon all my parts are on order. I'm sure I'll be bugging you guys on that one.

Thanks for the diesel push guys.

Old 08-23-2009, 04:33 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

moly is what you want to avoid in syn oils. I use Rotella in my F4 too.

Quick Reply: Diesel Oil