CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

brief tips for ridin in the rain?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2009, 04:00 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile brief tips for ridin in the rain?

hi yall.tis about to start rainin back here in Kenya n i feel i cant park my cbr.read somewhere that one sure way of dumpin your bike is ridin in rain :-( i dont want to believe it n feel i can ride.i will appreciate any brief tips from you guys.thanks.

Old 03-21-2009, 06:14 AM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

+1 to all that Steve said - especially the REAR brake on the Hurricane - locks up for nothing in the rain. Care is needed, but we've all done thousands of miles in rain - biggest problem is the mugs in cars who keep clogging your visor with road cr..p !
Wear the right gear, and use a demister on your visor.
Ride defensively - aggression will get you hurt.......
Watch for "shiny" stuff on the road - diesel spills and the like - looks like a rainbow landed on the road. Especially dangerous in the wet.
Jambo !

Old 03-21-2009, 08:38 AM
Super Moderator
Received 496 Likes on 449 Posts

I too have put a few miles on the bike in the rain. Just use a reasonable amount of caution and I think you'll be fine. Some riders get stiff and have the feeling that it's going to slip right out from under them at any second. It's not that way at all. I went to the Indy MotoGP race last September and spent 3 days watching the racing in the rain. 170+ mph in the rain is a site to see. Not that the track is anything like public roads, but it did show how well bikes can do in the wet.

Old 03-21-2009, 12:21 PM

If your tires are good, wet roads are not a problem. Just try to be smooth.

Avoid the center of the lane; that's where cars drip oil, so it can get very slippery in a light rain or in the early stages of a storm.

Use higher gears and lower rpms, as you would riding on dirt roads. With the engine revved high in a low gear, chopping the throttle is just like stomping on the rear brake. This effect is minimized in higher gears--and by smooth throttle action.

Accelerate smoothly. The big Hurricanes have a lot of power, so it's easy to spin the rear wheel if the road's a tad slippery.

Plan ahead, so you don't have to brake hard.

Relax; it's hard to be smooth when you're tight.

It's really just common sense. And practice.

Craig

Old 03-21-2009, 01:39 PM

Stay awat from painted lines on the road! very slippery!

Old 03-21-2009, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by Craigart14
If your tires are good, wet roads are not a problem. Just try to be smooth.

Avoid the center of the lane; that's where cars drip oil, so it can get very slippery in a light rain or in the early stages of a storm.

Use higher gears and lower rpms, as you would riding on dirt roads. With the engine revved high in a low gear, chopping the throttle is just like stomping on the rear brake. This effect is minimized in higher gears--and by smooth throttle action.

Accelerate smoothly. The big Hurricanes have a lot of power, so it's easy to spin the rear wheel if the road's a tad slippery.

Plan ahead, so you don't have to brake hard.

Relax; it's hard to be smooth when you're tight.

It's really just common sense. And practice.

Craig
^^^
Everything he said. I've done 200kph in the rain & trackdays as well when its been pissing down. you just have to be smooth.

Old 03-21-2009, 07:13 PM
September 2009 ROTM Winner - Faster than a Speeding ..........
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The roads in Nairobi are very busy and many of the vehicles are not well maintained(been there a few times) , so when it has just rained/started raining be careful , it will be slippery from oil/diesel on the road . A good downpour should wash the worst of it away.

Take the advice from the previous posts , its all good!

Old 03-23-2009, 01:40 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All the above. I've ridden my 'cane in some wicked storms and, so far she's always got me home.
If your tyres are good it's no real drama. Allow more time for everything (including getting home!). Leave a good five seconds between you and the tin top in front (they can stop a lot quicker than you), gentle on the throttle and the brakes, smooth on the corners, and watch out for the very middle of your lane. That's where a lot of oil from all the old leaky wrecks people drive builds up.
These bikes are very heavy and stable and I'd much rather be on my 'cane when the heavens open than any of the new, lightweight stuff.
Take your time!