F4i - Main Forum Main F4i discussion board

Ridin' in the rain.

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2007, 08:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ridin' in the rain.

Alright guys, I did a search for this but didn't find what I was looking for.

How often do you ride in the rain? All the time? Me too... I'm still new to bikes and was wondering if anything about the rain could be harmful to the bike. I know that you should probably lube the chain more often, but is there anything else? Do I need to worry about any of the electronics or wiring or anything? I assume everything is waterpoofed but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything because I don't want some electrical component to fry on me while riding in a monsoon.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:21 PM
Banned
Default RE: Ridin' in the rain.

Here in Seattle we never have to worry about that.

Old 12-28-2007, 09:51 PM
Ironmang
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Everything will be fine... just like you mentioned, lube the chain more often, and clean it real good. before lubing it. It's gets REALLY dirty in the rain. As long as all your wiring harnesses are routed properly and you don't have any open wires or connectors anywhere, it'll be fine

My bike has seen more rain and straight up MONSOONS than I care to recall (as in cars were pulling over and stopping on the side of the road with flashers on... we were still riding, haha)... never a problem. Just get used to everything fogging up everytime you stop, from the water dripping onto the headers and steaming up. I actually had a guy in a UPS truck next to me once, and he stuck his head out the door.... "hey are you overheating??" LOL

Stay safe in the rain!

Old 12-29-2007, 01:16 AM

ORIGINAL: thirdgenlxi

Everything will be fine... just like you mentioned, lube the chain more often, and clean it real good. before lubing it. It's gets REALLY dirty in the rain. As long as all your wiring harnesses are routed properly and you don't have any open wires or connectors anywhere, it'll be fine

My bike has seen more rain and straight up MONSOONS than I care to recall (as in cars were pulling over and stopping on the side of the road with flashers on... we were still riding, haha)... never a problem. Just get used to everything fogging up everytime you stop, from the water dripping onto the headers and steaming up. I actually had a guy in a UPS truck next to me once, and he stuck his head out the door.... "hey are you overheating??" LOL

Stay safe in the rain!
awesome dude, i was actually going to PM you this question since you have more experience than me with this stuff. i'm just worried something gonna short out somewhere lol. went out riding today and it was poring down rain and 35 degrees. I'd like to give her a bath, but... it's 35 degrees. no fun. i don't like keeping her dirty at all.

what's the best chain cleaner? I've hear everything from kerosene to diesel fuel to WD40. Which is the best? And after riding in the rain, how many miles do you go before you clean it?

Old 12-29-2007, 02:21 AM

Nice post FLYOU! I was gonna ask the same question. I worried about rust more than I worried about electric parts. Is there any stock part you know of that has a high possibility of rust. Since the rain is salty, acid like liquid. It was raining here in Charlotte today too. I rode it but I realized I need new boots this season.[8D]

Old 12-29-2007, 01:52 PM

yeah i've got road salty water all over my bike and i know it's not good for it. making me a little nervous. I know the frame and everything is composed of Galvanized steel, but still... don't know how long i should let it sit without washing it.

i hope it's galvanized anyway [&:]