CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Brake de-link thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-2009, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake de-link thread

My garage is finished and I'm ready to start my de-linking project on a spare set of calipers I bought. But, now I can't find the original How-to thread on the forum. It looks like the CBR forum was revamped/changed and links on other threads don't work any more. Can anyone point me to the original post? Thanks.

Here are the calipers I'll be working on. My plan is to takes photos as I go along.

Name:  working01.jpg
Views: 641
Size:  59.6 KB

Old 05-06-2009, 10:46 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Send a message to Dean0
Maybe he can assist.

Found this
https://cbrforum.com/forum/showthrea...linking+brakes

Here;s a whole page of results
https://cbrforum.com/forum/search.php?searchid=116545

Last edited by Shadow; 05-06-2009 at 10:55 PM.
Old 05-07-2009, 02:36 AM

Depends which way you are going to the de-link.

Method 1 - Buy a de-link braided hose kit from Goodrige or HEL

Method 2 - Drill the calipers to get all three pistons working from one inlet.

In both cases you are going to need a change of master cylinder to correct the lever/piston ratio.

I found a CB1300 master cylinder gave a nice feel ( 14mm bore )
I also left the rear caliper operating on the outer two pistons - three pistons gave way too much pedal and a snachy rear brake.

Old 05-07-2009, 07:28 AM

Here are pics of blackbird calipers internally drilled to join all three pistons

All you do on the outside is blank off the old feed to the centre piston

Attached Thumbnails Brake de-link thread-cbs-caliper-inside-1.jpg   Brake de-link thread-cbs-caliper-inside-2.jpg  
Old 05-21-2009, 06:35 PM
Default pushing out pistons?

I had a spare master cylinder in the garage for years. Just recently I finally agreed to get rid of the old parts and spares from bikes I don't have anymore. Now I realize I could have used to to push out the pistons on the brake calipers. Aside from compressed air, is there another way?

I'm also now considering the I should order the brake piston seals before I take the calipers apart. My brake de-link project has been postponed by my wife who says I need to build her the potting bench I promised her before I get distracted by another car/motorcycle project.

Old 05-23-2009, 10:24 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by SoloRider
Now I realize I could have used to to push out the pistons on the brake calipers. Aside from compressed air, is there another way?
If the calipers are in good shape you should be able to pull the pistons out with pliers.

I de-linked and have no problem with the factory master cylinder and lever.
If you want more braking power you may want to install better master cylinders later.

If you are de-linking you need to remove the entire braking system with the exception of the master cylinders. This means removing all three calipers, the secondary master cylinder, the proportional valve and miles of steel and rubber hoses. It took a few hours to remove everything on my bike.

VERY IMPORTANT: You can’t de-link by simply drilling holes in the calipers. The front and rear brakes on the linked system DO NOT share brake fluid and to anyone de-linking must do to job correctly or get hurt.

In the attached photos you can see the brackets and the spacers I made form washers and cable ferrules I got at Home Depot. I basically hack sawed the ferrule in half and filed it to the proper thickness (that’s why there is only one in the photo due to the fact that I used the other one). I then used either 8mm or 5/16” cap screws and lock washers to hold them in place.

Do not toss any of the old hose mounts; you can use them with your new lines. I will get photos later.

I have over 25k miles on the de-linked bike without any problems and it stops better.

Attached Thumbnails Brake de-link thread-bracket-spacers.jpg   Brake de-link thread-ferrules.jpg   Brake de-link thread-washers.jpg  

Last edited by TimBucTwo; 05-23-2009 at 10:26 AM.
Old 05-23-2009, 12:14 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Good to see you back, TBT - been a while