CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Bike is struggling to start...

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2008, 03:56 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Bike is struggling to start...

ORIGINAL: kaska
ORIGINAL: stuconz
Caution to self...I wonder how any times I can bend that guide tab back before it gives up the ghost...?
Well i have no idea, but as we know from your case already 6 times is ok
Well, I can safely say that tab will bend out and back again a total of 14 times without snapping off...

Thanks Kaspar, your logic proved to be spot on. The plates were upside down. So I said to myself "OK, this is the last time I'm pulling thisalternator out of this bike. If it doens't work this time, so be it". I flipped the plates over on the damper, had to persuade the circlipback into its groove, and...I can now start the bike...It turns over exactly as I'd expect a healthy bike to do.

Its funny though. I was basing the layout of these three spring plates on the fact that the one thatcame out of the bike, and the second hand one I got, both had thespring washersthus ||||>>>|

The originaldamper did have a homemade washer in the mix as well, so am wondering if this was to compensate the lack of pressure on the plates because the spring washers were upside down...?

Anyway, its all good news, and many thanks to you Kaspar, and your pictures...

Old 12-22-2008, 05:59 PM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Congratulations to you both for your persistence and tenacity. Having watched this issue from afar (fearing it might happen to me one day) I'm impressed and happy to see how this forum and goodwill can resolve many technical issues.

Kaska and Stuconz, congratulations to you both.

(Kaska - congratulations on your multilingual expertise and technical / engineering translations)

Old 12-22-2008, 09:10 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

A pat on the back is called for to you too Martin,Nagasan,[X(] for your continuing efforts............
Always a pleasure to see the Hurricane section in action - no one else on the Forum (or any other) even comes close to us for teamwork and commitment.

Old 12-23-2008, 06:57 AM

Excellent Stu!

At finally bike is ok It's like Christmas miracle

I hope you won't sell her anymore?

I am pretty sure that the homemade washer was there on that reason i was thinking to add a homemade washer to my damper also when i dealed it, but luckily i did not need it as the springs where hard enough.

Anyway always happy to help and glad to hear that one hurricane again moves and without paying the fuel money to bikeshop

Old 12-24-2008, 02:19 AM

I hope you won't sell her anymore?
Well, I did enter into a deal to sell it for half what it was worth because it wasnt going at that point. I feel bad about pulling out of it, but I can't justify giving it away now.
I am pretty sure that the homemade washer was there on that reason i was thinking to add a homemade washer to my damper also when i dealed it, but luckily i did not need it as the springs where hard enough.

Anyway always happy to help and glad to hear that one hurricane again moves and without paying the fuel money to bikeshop
Indeed. In fact, I only had a half day at the office today, so used the opportunity to knock up my procedure and lessons learned. It should be linked in my sig now. Hopefully I can prevent this bizarre series of events from happening to someone else.

Merry Christmas all

Old 12-24-2008, 02:25 AM

or not...

Old 12-24-2008, 03:14 AM
Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Stuconz - Absolutely sensational "HOW TO".

Many thanks for taking the time and effort to put this together for us all.