CBR 1000F "Hurricane" 1987-1996 CBR 1000F

Bike is struggling to start...

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2008, 11:23 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Bike is struggling to start...

Stu, just a thought - wouldn't it be useful to bole the entire unit together before you refit it in the bike, so as to be sure everything's in the right place ?
I've not had to do mine, just the stator cover, but I remember something my Dad once told me, about 'don't put it back together until it's right'
Maybe a tip for others like me, who have to do it in future
I'm not being sarcy, just thinking ahead.......also,
if the part that's tight should move around freely (as per Bazman) maybe that's what is causing the lady to sulk ? Is it dragging ?

Old 12-02-2008, 02:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks for all your feedback guys, but as it is, I am driving the cage for the forseeable future. [&o]

After first reinstallingthe alternator and damperand getting the same starting issues, I figured I had put my old damper back in. Took it out again, put the "new" one in and the starter motor was just whizzing around. My guess is that the starter clutch was slipping worse than my old one, and not engaging at all. Anyway, before pulling that one out, I took my old one apart to clean it up before putting it back in again.

Circlip off, dropped all the plates out and this piece of metal dropped onto the bench. Looked like a broken washer. Looked closer and it turned out it was one half of a washer that is used to keep the internal barrel in place. The other half was still on the barrel. I thought it had broken, but on looking closer, realised it was designed this way. Anyway, the new damper was actually missing this piece, and the barrel was moving around freely, and if tipped upside down would fall out.

So I pulled the alternator out again, heard a *clunk* looked into the alternator aperture and the bearing that sits in the casing to hold the alternator shaft had been pulled out and was precariously close to dropping down into the engine. Managed to grab it and reseat it, then put my old damper back in. This time,itdid exactly the same thing as the newdamperand the starter motor sounded like it was just whizzing around in thin air.

I am reluctant to do this a fourth time as I am conscious of that bearing dropping out again and possibly this time making it into the sump.

Have dusted off the cage, parked the bike up,and may well look at it again over christmas. I have thought of putting in an extra set ofplates, or a spring washerfrom one assembly into the other. See if that makes a difference.

At least its got a nice new seat...

Old 12-02-2008, 09:58 PM
Redcoat, & Maxwell's Silver Hammer, MVN and curmudgeon
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bad luck, mate, but don't despair - I've had (I think) 4 reg/rec's. two batteries and two stator covers before finally resolving the problem (I hope)

It'll come right........

Old 12-03-2008, 06:02 AM

Hey Stu.

I don't recall seeing any split or half plates so thats another part of the puzzle.

Kaska posted some pics in a previous thread of the dampner in pieces and there's no halves in that either.
Do a search on here for starter problems (sorry I can't remember the exact thread )and check out the pics. Now you have 2 you'll be able to get one good one. In a previous thread, Kaska put the thickest ones in and had great success.

Hope that helps...

On a foot note.... How important is it to have the holes in the shaft and the damper lined up????? I don't really wanna take it all apart again....

Old 12-17-2008, 04:00 AM

Hey, as it turned out, the two barrels of the damper were different. One had a notch for a split washer (to stop the barrel falling out) and the other one didn't. Don't think it really makes any difference.

So heres the update:
I have had the alternator and damper out now 5 times (Just put it back for the sixth time tonight). This was the last time I try it, though I have got very good at the procedurenow .

I got all the thickest plates from both dampers to make one, but still no joy.

Have now listed the bike for sale as is because, I already have a 93 CBR sitting up on the center stand, and I don't need two of them. I could get the bike shop to look into it, but I can't really afford it, or I could buy the newdamper ($388) and fit it, but again, I've run out of cash. Just going to cut my losses, and spend time on finishing my '93 fighter.

Old 12-17-2008, 05:45 AM

Actually as i remember there where those split washers.
And on my friends one those where out of their place just like stu had them.
As much as i remember the damper and the inner shaft should not turn at all when trying to do it by hand - it would be logic too as the engine's compression is pretty hard to overcome and by hand turning the damper :S hard to believe.

But stu how wore out your plates looked? if those look ok and are thick enough ( mine baddest where http://web.zone.ee/kaspar10/CBR/pages/IMG_6315.htm) then there is possibility that the problem lies somewhere else:S

Anyway sad to hear that you sell her now

Old 12-21-2008, 02:07 PM

ORIGINAL: kaska
Actually as i remember there where those split washers.
And on my friends one those where out of their place just like stu had them.
Yes, your pictures show a groove around the circumference of the internal shaft. Of the two dampers I have, one of them has the groove and the other one doesn't.

As much as i remember the damper and the inner shaft should not turn at all when trying to do it by hand - it would be logic too as the engine's compression is pretty hard to overcome and by hand turning the damper :S hard to believe.
But stu how wore out your plates looked? if those look ok and are thick enough ( mine baddest where http://web.zone.ee/kaspar10/CBR/pages/IMG_6315.htm) then there is possibility that the problem lies somewhere else:S
Kaspar...
Iwas just looking at your photos again. Can you tell me...
Are the three washers that sit under the circlip concave or convex in relation to the circlip? In other words, is it a "bowl"? To me, it looks like it is positioned in a bowl shape...(http://web.zone.ee/kaspar10/CBR/pages/IMG_6287.htm)
-
||||<<<|
-
rather than
-
||||>>>|
-

I have taken the thickest of all the plates and once assembled, the interior shaft does not move by hand, but the three washers at the top are positioned like an upside down bowl. (see second diagram above). Clutching at straws here.
Anyway sad to hear that you sell her now
Yea, I'm broke and need transport. Couldnt justify it sitting around, and was having no luck getting it going without handing over extreme hourly rates to the local bike shop to look into it.

Anyway, your input has been great kaspar, I appreciate it.

Old 12-21-2008, 05:33 PM

...Kaspar...
Iwas just looking at your photos again. Can you tell me...
Are the three washers that sit under the circlip concave or convex in relation to the circlip? In other words, is it a "bowl"? To me, it looks like it is positioned in a bowl shape...(http://web.zone.ee/kaspar10/CBR/pages/IMG_6287.htm)
-
||||<<<|
-
rather than
-
||||>>>|

Wow i have to take out my English dictionary for such difficult words
Anyway i think i understood you. Unfortunately i don't remember how they where, but using common logic i think they should be that way that they put maximum pressure to clutch plates. and as the circlip is only thing to put the pressure on i think the first one is more likely to be true. so then |||||<<<| ( the left side is plates and right is circlip )
What i do remember is that to put the circlip back on i had a helluva trouble as the washers did work as really hard springs, but nothing is impossible if you have big hammer

Old 12-21-2008, 05:57 PM

Wow i have to take out my English dictionary for such difficult words
Anyway i think i understood you. Unfortunately i don't remember how they where, but using common logic i think they should be that way that they put maximum pressure to clutch plates. and as the circlip is only thing to put the pressure on i think the first one is more likely to be true. so then |||||<<<| ( the left side is plates and right is circlip )
What i do remember is that to put the circlip back on i had a helluva trouble as the washers did work as really hard springs, but nothing is impossible if you have big hammer
Youre understanding is spot on kaspar
Well, I'll whip it out one more time tonight and flip them washers over, see if it makes any difference.

Caution to self...I wonder how any times I can bend that guide tab back before it gives up the ghost...?

Old 12-22-2008, 01:06 AM

ORIGINAL: stuconz

Caution to self...I wonder how any times I can bend that guide tab back before it gives up the ghost...?
Well i have no idea, but as we know from your case already 6 times is ok

Quick Reply: Bike is struggling to start...