600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the older 600 models.

Straight wired r/r, ok? any problems?

Old 09-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Default Straight wired r/r, ok? any problems?

i have searched on here and saw that some one did it on an old thread. i have straight wired my r/r on my 99 f4. i used 10 g wire, soldered it together and put a 30 amp in-line fuse. it holds a steady 14.5 volts at idle and at higher revs. is this ok? has anyone experienced any problems with this?

Old 09-01-2012, 08:19 PM

You know, I remember that thread but can't locate it. They didn't report any probs.

Old 09-01-2012, 09:37 PM

thats what im hoping. ive been out test riding and it seems to be working good. tired of replacing these damn things. if this does not keep the r/r from burning up then next im gonna just relocate it. you herd any good places in the front of the bike to put it at (i dont know if its a good idea or not)? i do ride in the rain alot. so i have to keep that in mind and keep it hidden from the elements.

Last edited by cBrentb; 09-01-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Old 09-01-2012, 10:07 PM

When I still had the banana seat, I didn't like the orig location of the R/R on the R side...didn't make sense to me it being there. There's more heat on that side & it was situated w/ other electrical components. I think there was a reason that in '01, when they came out w/ the F4i model, that the factory switched it to the L side. So, when I did my split-seat conversion, I relocated my R/R to the L side in the factory location provided on the split-seat subframe. Its def a better location for the R/R (more airflow & less heat).

Also, when I did the conversion, I did not remount the ECU on the outside of the subframe. That was a poor orig design as well. Its subject to easy damage from just a knock-over or minor lowside. I relocated my ECU under the seat where its more protected.

Old 09-02-2012, 03:57 AM
Track junkie & modaholic
Old 09-02-2012, 04:30 AM

yeah! the triumph forum, thats where i got the idea from, thanks.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by cBrentb View Post
tired of replacing these damn things.
are you using OEM replacements? if so then id recommend getting one from a gixxer.

Old 09-02-2012, 10:27 AM

I have had issues with the original R/R on my 900 rrx. I have installed a gixxer unit onto a heat sink and moved it above the rear wheel on the underside of the rear fender. I think someone has shown a pic of a similar setup on the triumph forum mentioned earlier. This setup works great!

Old 09-02-2012, 02:21 PM

Originally Posted by sjona2011 View Post
are you using OEM replacements? if so then id recommend getting one from a gixxer.
gixxer-schmixxer. ;-) The revised finned factory Honda R/R unit that superseded the old unit is an excellent part. Mine has been operated in a variety of environments w/ great performance. I've written about the solid performance of this new revised unit on several occasions.

Frankly, if a bike keeps burning up R/R's, there's more going on than R/R failure.

Old 09-02-2012, 04:41 PM

im using ricks stator and r/r with a cpu fan attached to r/r. i have soldered the stator wires together and the r/r also. its good, i hope. i just refreshed and cleaned all connections in my system. all the dirty old grounds and starter solenoid switch were suspect. i have replaced and cleaned them all. except i am still using the old starter solenoid switch. it seems to be working ok, cleaned and a snug fit. what if because of age, the brass male and female connections dont have a snug fit anymore? i tried squezing them together but, you know when brass is old and gets to be a dark brown color? they may be too old and dirty for good service, i wish i could get them shiney like brand new, will that put stress on my r/r and cause voltage drop issues?

in short, i think it was just time for an electric system refresh, rewire, clean and reconnect on the whole system and all grounds. its been 6-8 months since i did the last refresh. and this past summer has been super hot and humid. and ive done ALOT of riding through heavy rain this past year.

oh, one other thing, can i just leave the old posi and neg wires from the r/r just hanging there covered up or do i need to connect them to something? the positive wire is straight to the starter solenoid, doesnt look like its going to cause any probs if i just leave it be or cut it out? what about the ground? cut ,connect or just leave it covered and hanging?

Last edited by cBrentb; 09-02-2012 at 04:55 PM.