600 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 600 models.

heat shield removal over stock exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2008, 08:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default heat shield removal over stock exhaust

I just installed a fender eliminator kit on my 2007 600rr and the heat shield is showing on the sides of the exhaust pipe. is it safe to remove this heat shield to improve the look of the bike? will the rear seat melt without the heat shield entact?

Old 04-12-2008, 04:49 PM
Default RE: heat shield removal over stock exhaust

I'm not sure about how safe it'd be with no heat shield whatsoever. I removed the sides of the shield at the rear of the can. It's perfectly safe for me and hasn't caused any issues in about 500 miles of riding it since I modded. I left the very top of it on. If you completely remove it, it'd be wise to go out and buy some exhaust heat tape and put that up under the tail above the exhaust.

Old 04-12-2008, 06:11 PM

Exhaust heat tape is the way to go. If you buy a slip on... (for instance Yoshi), they supply the tape with a template. Look under my yoshi exhaust in this pic....you can see where I applied it all underneath there.

RED [sm=smiley20.gif]

Name:  Picture059.jpg
Views: 2096
Size:  186.1 KB

Old 04-12-2008, 11:11 PM

I got the FE kit put on at a honda dealer and they left the hea shield on because they didnt know what to do. It really really looks bad though. but if i get a slip on exhaust the shop will take care of that heat shield? i called the dealer back and they said if i bring the bike back they will take the heat shield off but im worried about things melting.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:02 PM

i'm in the same boat. i'm currently fixing my bike from a crash i had over a month ago and and the rear section has been broken down to the frame . yesterday i installed a new 2 bros exhaust, which i found fairly easy because of many of the bikes parts removed and did not include the heat shield that goes under the rear seat. i have been reading lots of posts on here from a search i did, and it seems that many have taken both of the heat shields off and have had no problems. i was concerned it would look strange with them on there, so i'm still undecided, but leaning towards keeping them off. i have also read were some have trimmed the rear section and have had good results with that.

the style of riding i do and with the carbon fiber exhaust i have, i'm not so sure i will need it. i 'm more of a casual rider and not a hardcore rider, who goes out for a spin for maybe 75 miles at the most each time. most of my trips range for an hour or so, and i just don't see why i would need it. i don't ever plan on having a second rider, and even have removed my rear foot pegs. i think i'm going to try it without and see if i have any issues then put it back on if i need to.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:10 PM

I'm nervous to take the heat shield off because of the rear seat melting. if you look the heat goes way down the pipe not just under the seat. i'm going to talk to a tech i guess.

Old 04-13-2008, 12:21 PM

ORIGINAL: gotobatter

I'm nervous to take the heat shield off because of the rear seat melting. if you look the heat goes way down the pipe not just under the seat. i'm going to talk to a tech i guess.
let me know what he says. i'm not a super mechanic guy but, doesn't aluminum retain heat and get very hot very quickly? i would think, at least, what i'm banking on is that having more air flow in there might be better. i would say if you have a stock exhaust, keep it on because at least mine got very hot, but i'm thinking with the carbon fiber exhaust it will not be bad. an 8th of an inch or so piece of aluminum just can't seem to do all that in my opinion. if it was a huge concern wouldn't it of been made with a different material or be alot thicker? just something to think about.