1000 Modifications This section is specifically for questions and advice pertaining to mods of the current 1000 models.

Will BMC Air filter change my custom map?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 08:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will BMC Air filter change my custom map?

I have an 07 cbr 1000 with power commander III and yoshi r-5 slip on.
I went to Fast by Ferracci and had it dyno tuned with the power commander III and yoshi r-5 slip on. Then just last week I replaced Stock air filters with the bmc street air filters. Do you think that will change my air/fuel mix drasticly where I should go back and have it retuned?

Old 09-28-2010, 07:32 PM

might not be a bad idea but may not be necessary, most of the imported sport bikes come into the country with a pretty lean tune so that they will pass emissions puttin on a pipe doesnt require a new tune but usually doin both airfilter and pipe you should retune, since you had yours retuned already with the stock airfilter and aftermarket pipe they most likely richened up the tune, im guessing you probably dont get as good of gas mileage as you did before the tune if that is the case then they did richen up your mixture and adding the bmc race filter will lean it out some more but should not be drastic since you had the retune already but if you want more power with a more stable tune then you might want to get it redone especially if your hittin up track days but just my opinion its not necessary to get it retuned. hope that all made sense lol.

Old 09-29-2010, 07:32 AM

Yeah that makes sense. I didn't really notice much of a difference in gas mileage which mad me believe that the tune by forracci wasn't richened up to drasticly. I wish there was some way of telling. Or if power commander didnt just make auto tune for 08 and newer bikes. ( Very pissed about that)

Old 09-30-2010, 08:53 AM

is BMC Comparable to K&N airfilters? is one better then the other or are they pretty much same thing?

Old 09-30-2010, 10:51 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dont under estimate 1 liter
is BMC Comparable to K&N airfilters? is one better then the other or are they pretty much same thing?
personal preference if you ask me. I like K&N, been using them for 20+ years with good results n no problems.

With the BMC's it depends if you got the race or street version of their filter. Race you'll need to get the bike dyno'd n retuned. Street you should be ok.

Old 10-01-2010, 07:03 AM

I got street. And does that go the same for k&n if you get street version you should be ok as well. I was thinking about picking up a set of K&N anyway so this way I have a second set so when I wash the ones I dont have to wait to ride. Bad idea to have two different name brands even tho infact there virtually the same.

Old 10-17-2010, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by stretch_the_apex
might not be a bad idea but may not be necessary, most of the imported sport bikes come into the country with a pretty lean tune so that they will pass emissions puttin on a pipe doesnt require a new tune but usually doin both airfilter and pipe you should retune, since you had yours retuned already with the stock airfilter and aftermarket pipe they most likely richened up the tune, im guessing you probably dont get as good of gas mileage as you did before the tune if that is the case then they did richen up your mixture and adding the bmc race filter will lean it out some more but should not be drastic since you had the retune already but if you want more power with a more stable tune then you might want to get it redone especially if your hittin up track days but just my opinion its not necessary to get it retuned. hope that all made sense lol.
Respectfully it is much more complicated than that.

Being that you'll probably not do any other mods to your engine, if your tuner will give you a good price, why not?

Then again if you don't really notice a difference either way...well then it's up to you.