Track Days & Riding Schools This section is for the announcement of open track days and educational riding school events.

High sided yesterday :-/

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2010, 03:59 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default High sided yesterday :-/

Down to one hand typing.

First I'd like give a thanks to the crew you never want to be friends with -- I met the AMP medics after an adventure in 11.

Also a shout out to Terry, Brad, team pumping tunes, bike pickup crew and hopefully some photographers.

At the track school we had great weather today - lots of folks enjoying what their bikes were made to do. Instructors as always were great - and I expect tomorrow will bring more of the same.

The next important point is about gear. If I wasn't wearing that gear it would have been a lot worse - as it worked out my bike missed me and all that I have to show for it is a broken finger, a cut finger and tweaked finger. I think Terry had the best view - but I can say the forces in play were considerable.

I was wearing A* GP plus boots. My feet hit the track so hard at one point that part of the soul was pulled from the body - yet my feet show not a sinle mark.

I was wearing tecnic leathers with a bohn backplate- I tossed and turned and got most panels - the only mark I have is on my chest where I guess I must have hit the windshield?

On my hands I had A* GP2 gloves -- I got a cut on one finger (maybe from a piece of the bike) and bang twqo fingers when I jambed them mid somersault. The hard plates both have signs of abrasion but no tenderness or bruising on my knuckles or palms.

Out of a bad crash I basically walked away unscathed - ask the witnesses for confirmation of the accident, luck and gear doing its job.

So what happened?

Coming through 10 I was catching the instructor and a student. In the bowl of 11 I came off the throttle (bad) and it got s bit unsettled. Room was there again so I got back on the throttle at the crest of 11. The rear end started stepping out to the point my knee was back on the ground. For a moment I thought I could ride through it -- but the rear came more and more out of line (going sideways towards the grass) -- eventually she got 90 degrees to the track, dug in and highsided. At that point I would have been in the 100-110 km/h area)

Talking to witnesses the bike got a good 10' of air. I don't know where I was but the bike thankfully missed me. I just rolled, tucked in my head and when I was stopped got off the track in a hurry as more bikes were behind me.

Looking at the track there is a full 8' rear wheel skid mark
then 16" where the front is also visible a full bike length to the inside and parallel. She flew 30' and did a full rotation before landing on the rear wheel (smashing that) and then the front wheel and she tossed her way another 50' to the wall. Apparently there was a concern she'd hop the paddock wall. I guess I would have rolled 50 or so feet?

Bike looks rough but I think I've got most of the spares I need -- and if my hand is ready first I might run the F4 for a few days. Tonight it is bedtime

Hope the rest of the students have a great time too!

If any one has pictures or video or any thing you saw I'd love to see/hear it.

Thanks everyone!

Old 06-13-2010, 07:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Dang sorry to hear about that. I would take a few busted fingers of bigger bones anyday of the week. Makes me want better boots RIGHT NOW! lol
Hope you get it back together soon.

Any pics of the bike?

Old 06-13-2010, 08:24 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey man, good work coming out of that with all the major bits in one piece. Sounds like you had one helluva ride. There's really no good place to go down but at the track, with all the people there ready to help, is better than the rest.

Which hand took the hit? Hope not the one you write / type with. That always sucks, trying to relearn everything with the other hand

Old 06-13-2010, 03:21 PM

righ hand unfortunately -- got a nasty pulsing pain but it is manageable without meds.

definately a pucker factor -- shook up a lot of new riders because they hadn't seen one go before.

Old 06-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been there, it sux. Glad you're OK though, gear does work!!

Old 08-22-2010, 10:26 AM

Huge progress on the RR rebuild today!!!

Trent and Miriam came over to give me a hand. I had prepped the bike to remove the frame, but needed spare hands (and knowledge). In about 3 hours we pulled swing arm/triples off the frame, removed the old frame, pulled the harness through the new frame, installed the swing arm, and dry fit the spare triples I had in my basement.

Right now she is in *almost* rolling shape --- and everything seems good and straight.

Waiting for throttle cables (back order since June?!?!??!?! Yoyodine -- not stock honda ones. Might have to install throttle housing/cables for now) -- need to get the rear sub frame welded, new bearings installed in the front (have the parts), and then air box/electronics/gas tank...

I can not wait to hear her fire to life once more.

Yesterday I have to admit I was very in the dumps -- did not want to touch the bike. With some help and quick progress I'm re-energized. THANKS!

--- PICTURES ---

Pre-crash:

Hired helpers!

Lowering it off the stands:

Frame off:

New Frame on:

Rear Wheel on as a balance:

Triples dry fitted -- on stands:

Current status: