Off Topic A place for you CBR junkies to boldly go off topic. Almost anything goes.

So, I low sided today :/

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2012, 10:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default So, I low sided today :/

I just wanna share what happened. They say there's two kinds of riders, those that have gone down and those that will go down. You never expect it to happen to you until it does. It's not that I thought I was such a good rider that I would never fall, I never thought that, it's just the fact that it's so unexpected when it happens. I've only been riding for about two months now. But just when you think you're getting really comfortable and used to the bike, you realize you're still learning. I thought I was just a fast learner and was a natural. That's when it happened. I pulled a true rookie mistake. I was pulling off the road on an exit ramp, going about 35 MPH. I started the corner to tight and had a bald tire. well, I knew I was too tight so my dumb self decided top let off the gas...guess what happens next? The moment I let off the gas of course I leaned too far, then got back on the throttle. yea, there goes my front tire right out from under me. Thank god it wasn't in traffic and it was only cosmetic damage. I'll post the pitcures in the morning, honestly, i'm too pissed at myself right now to even go outside and look at it.

I guess the main reason I'm posting this is for support. I know it could have been worse. All I got was a little road rash on my forarm where my jacket didnt have padding. But what are some of yalls stories? I guess I just feel so ashamed right now and I know I shouldn't because it does happen ya know? But I still cant help from feeling like crap, because I really do love my bike with all my heart and I can't help but feel disgusted right now at myself.

Anyways, I'd love some feedback, let me know it's not as bad as it could be and I'm not the only one. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2012, 10:30 PM
Administrator and MVN, March 2012/Oct 2013 ROTM
Received 117 Likes on 107 Posts

You walked away....thats the important thing. Just learn from the mistake and get back on as soon as possible.

Old 04-08-2012, 10:38 PM

Yea for sure, I'm extremely thankful that I didn't get hauled off in an ambulance, and I got right back on and rode straight home. Do you think I need to use my clutch more as my throttle when i'm cornering at low RPM's? When I'm redlining through a corner I never have problems, but at low RPM's if I let off the throttle even for a second the weight on my front tire is just lifted and i've had my front tire skid a little because of it, but I guess I just didn't use my brain and look into the problem, therefor resulting in my dropping her :/

Old 04-08-2012, 10:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I did the same thing... right around the same time frame as well. In fact, I've heard that same story told by an innumerable number of riders. You get on a bike, think you're the **** once you hit that 2-4 months mark and you hit your "comfort zone", get overconfident and then *BAM*. The only shameful things that could happen now is for you to give up on riding or forget the mistake you made.

Wanna know embarrassing? I was trying to make a u-turn and there was this black gravel on the side of the road, I barely touched the front brake and them *BAM*, I became all-too intimate with the asphalt. Or when I first picked up my R1. It was below freezing that day, I make a slow right turn at an intersection (packed with a busload of people and a bunch of cars of course) and my rear end gets away from me over some black ice and I do a slow speed high side and lose the use of the left side of my body for a month.

Whatever man, it's like popping your cherry, you'll look back on it all and laugh and you'll see some other beginner post up a story just like this a couple years down the road and you'll think back fondly of it as one of the great learning experiences of your life.

Old 04-08-2012, 11:13 PM

Originally Posted by redbaron1728
had a bald tire.
This was your problem!! you should be sure your bike is mechanically sound before each ride or you will eat pavement.

Get new tires its worth your life!!

Old 04-09-2012, 01:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

https://cbrforum.com/forum/off-topic...wsided-136485/

Feel better? (Yes, that's a New 2011 BMW s1000rr with 950-ish miles on the clock)

If not, you should. You rode away with cosmetic damage. That's why it doesn't bug me. You learned a couple things already. Even better.

As for your question, nononono clutch. Pulling the clutch is just as bad as chopping the throttle in a turn. When power is reduced or removed, the front doesn't get light. Weight actually transfers to the front. Depending on how much load the front is carrying, you can exceed the traction limits. Aka: lowside.

Old 04-09-2012, 10:11 AM

Kuroshio your bike was in mint condition, he rode with bald tires!!! he should have known better, if not i hope he learned the hard way. make sure you bike is ready to ride or don't ride it. I have had my fair share of accidents and they were never from the bike being unsafe.

know your limit, know your bike, and ride safe.

Old 04-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by cobra1000rr
Kuroshio your bike was in mint condition, he rode with bald tires!!! he should have known better, if not i hope he learned the hard way. make sure you bike is ready to ride or don't ride it. I have had my fair share of accidents and they were never from the bike being unsafe.

know your limit, know your bike, and ride safe.
You already covered the bald tire. So it wasn't worth mentioning again. What I posted was about the mistake he was about to make in the future: clutching thru a curb.

Rereading his story, he's lucky he didn't high side. He said he let off the throttle then got back on. If the rear had been sliding, it'd likely have regained traction (small kick). And with throttle being added back in, bigger kick.

Old 04-09-2012, 03:33 PM

A lot of what you describe is what I went through on my bike, not to say that I don't still have a lot more to learn and improve. When I went down the first time I lowsided not b/c of the bike, but b/c after I came out of the turn I froze on the bars went off the pavement then tried to come back on too quick. It hurt my confidence on the bike which has really slowed my progress, even though it was a simple mistake which is easy to remedy.

It's good to hear that you are ok, just heal up, fix up the bike, get some good rubber, and get back on.

Old 04-09-2012, 05:03 PM

Why did you choose my name?

Quick Reply: So, I low sided today :/