Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Wheelie issues(need help/advice)

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 09:49 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wheelie issues(need help/advice)

ok so i've been trying to wheelie this bike for about 2 weeks now....its a 2006 cbr 600 f4i......from what i've read about around the website i should have NO problem getting it to wheelie.....power or clutch in first or second........i don't have twin exhausts i have a scorpio street extreme exhaust slip on. pretty sure the sprockets are stock still haven't checked that out i need to read the manual and see what the stock tooths are for it.

i mainly try to clutch it up because to me seems safer......but yeah not trying to get into a debate about that i've tried both powering up and clutching up. NEITHER one can i get more than 3 inches off the ground....i HAVE NOOOOO IDEA where i'm going wrong on this anymore.......for clutching it up i get it up to about 5k rpms and then grab the clutch just barely get the rpms up to 10k and release clutch(drop it quickly) today i was out and went up to 12k rpms to try to get it up more and the results of that was my rear tire felt like it was starting to loose traction and felt like i had the rear wheel locked up and started fish tailing just a little(wasn't slowing down i wasn't using the brake just trying to describe it) i did that three times before i decide that i was going to end up dropping the bike if i put it up higher in the rpms to get it up. from what i've read it shouldn't be this hard for me to wheelie this bike.....i weigh 175 lbs. i've tried sitting in normal position and scooting all the way back to the back of my banana seat and still same results.....

any help would be appreciated.

p.s. sorry for the novel

Old 02-25-2013, 11:06 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Are you trying to do slow wheelies or at speed? I don't have much experience with faster wheelies, but all I can advise you to do is warm up your rear tire or lower the tire pressure and maybe slow down a little bit. I was having the same problems you were having.

I'm not very good at wheelies yet and I'm still trying to get to balance point, but this is the method I used;
I would pick out a spot on the asphalt where I wanted to initiate the wheelie then roll at "idle speed" to the spot you have picked out then "jab" the brakes/pull in the clutch and almost have the bike come to a complete stop for a split second before revving it and "popping" the clutch.

When I was looking at the tach I remember I was only at around 6.5k-7.5k rpms, but now I don't really look at the tach and instead listen to the motor. When I first get out to the lot I'll kind of do a couple of small warm up wheelies and try to memorize the engine "tone" at which it feels comfy to clutch it up and work from there instead of keeping an eye on the tach.

BTW, I'm 220 lbs but I have a big sprocket in the rear so all of what I said might now apply.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:40 AM

alright i'll give that a shot and yeah i keep a eye on the tach that could be something i need to stop and i try for slowish wheelies between 15-30 mph.

Old 02-26-2013, 06:55 AM
Welcome Crew and May 2012 Ride of the Month

It really has nothing to do with the an exact number of rpms, If you give it just enough throttle to get to a certain rpm and you drop the clutch there you will have no torque to life the wheel. You should be aiming to go past the rpm and just let the clutch out at the right time and then get on the throttle.

You are doing the exact thing I think everyone does when they learn and just havent grown enough ***** to give'r, Don't keep raising the rpms, just keep turning the throttle more before you dump the clutch.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:46 PM

Oh and always cover your rear brake. ;D First time I tried a staggered I forgot this cardinal rule and looped my bike pretty bad.

Old 02-27-2013, 03:07 PM

Originally Posted by jeffjones
It really has nothing to do with the an exact number of rpms, If you give it just enough throttle to get to a certain rpm and you drop the clutch there you will have no torque to life the wheel. You should be aiming to go past the rpm and just let the clutch out at the right time and then get on the throttle.

You are doing the exact thing I think everyone does when they learn and just havent grown enough ***** to give'r, Don't keep raising the rpms, just keep turning the throttle more before you dump the clutch.
mm so in other words rpms is just messing with my mind....which makes sense because when im looking at the rpms and i grab the clutch it raises the rpms normally if i keep the throttle where it is and when i rengage it goes lower because of the tension of actually being on the tire.......haha alright....havn't gotten back out there to try any wheelies yet been busy with work but once i have some more free time i'll definitely report back here and let you guys know how it went.

Old 03-11-2013, 06:06 PM

just starting to learn myself, this post actually helped a lot, everything io try to read up on or watch doesnt explain all that well, so thanks.

Old 03-11-2013, 10:09 PM
Administrator - Retired

Originally Posted by cwkhorne
mm so in other words rpms is just messing with my mind....which makes sense because when im looking at the rpms and i grab the clutch it raises the rpms normally if i keep the throttle where it is and when i rengage it goes lower because of the tension of actually being on the tire.......haha alright....havn't gotten back out there to try any wheelies yet been busy with work but once i have some more free time i'll definitely report back here and let you guys know how it went.
Exactly....don't look at or worry about the actual RPMs. Keep your body forward a bit and let the bike come to you a few times. You have to feel it, not really ride it.