Stunters Corner For all those stunters out there.. share your knowledge, talk about it. Those that do not like stunting, please stay away. Please read disclaimer!

Help with stoppies!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with stoppies!!!!!

Okay...I need a little help with getting my back up. A little guidance would be the ****. Adjusting my front forks, how much do I lean to get the best distance, etc.....I already have one part down.....I have ***** the size of Watermelons, so I; will try your advice...and if it work I'll post a vid to complement your wise words ;]

Old 05-01-2010, 11:51 AM

first off, make sure you have a nice sticky tire, then to get you started, get up some speed in first gear, pull the clutch in and hold it, you want to apply the front blreak hard enough to compress the front forks, then apply harder to lift the rear up, if you try it all in one motion, chances are the front tire will lock. This is because the suspension will want to rebound.

try to make the 2 steps into one smooth motion

get speed apply front break, front end dips, then hartder breaking to bring up the rear, you can get the bike almost straight up and down, but dont try that your first time. also front tire lockups happen to the best stopiers, so always be ready to release the front break, reaction time is key...good luck

Old 05-01-2010, 06:06 PM

I have no advice for you other than good luck. I gave up them due to everyone I've done turned out bad

Old 05-22-2010, 09:42 PM

Baby steps my friend baby steps! start small, i'm not sure your level of riding but when i first started i just went up to a stop sign about 10 MPH and hit the front brake, just to see what it felt like. Not good for the forks FYI but a starting point. then i just started going a little faster and using a little more brake each time. if you want to role, the faster you get the rear end to come up the better. your not going to get a role if your going to slow so this trick is really something you have to ease into like i said. dont go out there expacting to just start rolling 100+ feet endos. also this trick has NO fail safe no brake to pull the rear tire back down so its a comitment trick for sure. once your a little more comfortable just take it to 30MPH lift your *** off the seat a little and shift yourself close to the tank and with the clutch pulled in ease into the brake and you will feel your rear tire get lighter. but remember you have to pick the rear tire up with the same amount of speed as your slowing down so your rear end doesn't swing to the side. if it swings to the side then you know your not braking fast enough so if you feel your *** end swing let off. I will say this if your trying to learn this trick wear absolutly every piece of gear you can helmet, elbow, knee/shin pads are a must and some type of spinal protection oh and did i mention helmet, all these are an absolute must. i am just giving advice here i'm not saying go out and do this i'm just giving you some tools to help you if you decide to do this trick. going over the bars is very very possible and more than likely will happen at some point! Good Luck!

Old 06-03-2010, 01:49 PM

Are you trying to roll them or do pop-a-stoppies?

Doing pop-a-stoppies, ie coming to a stop and popping the rear of the bike up, is a good way to go over the handle bars so be very careful while doing them. Honestly though, this is how I used to them until someone actually taught how to get them to roll. I'm currently only rolling about 10-15ft and this is a trick that can take months/years to learn how to roll 300+ ft at BP. This is how Gil taught me how to do them:

First make sure your on a warmed up tire, last thing you want is that front wheel to wash out form under you! Get the bike moving and into second gear and grab on the brake hard enough to get the back wheel off the ground. Don't shoot for BP right away!!! All you want to do is get a feel for how much brake you need to apply to get the bike to come up. Aim to get the back of the bike up about 2-5 inches each pass you make. Repeat, repeat, repeat and you should be focused on rolling longer distances than aiming directly for height. Height will come once you learn how to control the brake better. REMEMBER! If you bring it up to high and your butt hole puckers up...let go of the brake lever. Don't grab a fist full of lever while the bike is in the air because you will go over the handle bars and there will be a 400 pound machine coming down on top of you.

Body position is key to this trick. Be sure to lock your arms, keep your head up and squeeze on the tank with your legs. If you look at videos of other riders on youtube you will see when they hit the brake they will shift their weight forward to help the bike come up. Some even come up off the seat and when they do this! Just feel it out and do what works best for you.

A few other things that will help is a radial master off a newer gen bike, setting the sag & suspension to your weight and stainless lines but its all personal pref on how you like the bike setup. I know guys rolling 500+ ft on stock F4i forks, no damper, rubber lines and the the old coffin style brake master. I personally prefer sharper brakes and on my 01 Gix stunt bike I have SS lines, ATE brake fluid and an 05 R1 master. Do what works for you and always put your gear on for these!!

Old 06-06-2010, 09:01 PM

Never heard it called a pop-a-stoppie! i think if i ever said that down at the lot i'd get laughed at or beat up. Not trying to disrespect its just interesting to hear what people in different areas call the trick. I've heard, endo, stoppie, front wheel wheelie, but never heard it called that. i just use the term endo! if your rolling 10-15 feet sounds like you need to get your speed up and bring the front tire up quicker i'd say the longest i've rolled is about 75 ft at this point on a stock F4i front end aside from my gixxer master cylinder. good luck to you all!

Old 06-08-2010, 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by rjgraves84
Never heard it called a pop-a-stoppie! i think if i ever said that down at the lot i'd get laughed at or beat up. Not trying to disrespect its just interesting to hear what people in different areas call the trick. I've heard, endo, stoppie, front wheel wheelie, but never heard it called that. i just use the term endo! if your rolling 10-15 feet sounds like you need to get your speed up and bring the front tire up quicker i'd say the longest i've rolled is about 75 ft at this point on a stock F4i front end aside from my gixxer master cylinder. good luck to you all!
That's what we call em when ppl dont try to roll them but come to a stop and try to get the rear wheel up.
I've been at it for about two weeks now, I guess its time to start adding more speed!! I took the F4i out this weekend and the stock front end aint as bad as a lot of ppl make it out to be. It could use stronger springs (i'm a heavy dude) and a stabilizer but other than that they seem pretty solid.

Old 06-10-2010, 02:17 PM

Awesome dude keep it up! There was a guy at Stuntwars this year with an F4i with a stock front end and i bet this dude was puching 3bills easy but he was killin that F4i!